Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Homebrew LCD protector?

Homebrew LCD protector?

Claus Jensen

I can't find a ready-made snap-on LCD protector for my camera.

Can I use some type of inexpensive plastic film made for another
purpose? Something that can peel off without leaving a residue.

Preferably not some overpriced thing sold in camera stores.

Or how about clear mylar packing tape and some safe way to remove the
adhesive after use that doesn't disolve the screen, etc.

Thank you,

Claus

bob

Claus Jensen wrote:
> I can't find a ready-made snap-on LCD protector for my camera.
>
> Can I use some type of inexpensive plastic film made for another
> purpose? Something that can peel off without leaving a residue.
>
> Preferably not some overpriced thing sold in camera stores.
>
> Or how about clear mylar packing tape and some safe way to remove the
> adhesive after use that doesn't disolve the screen, etc.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Claus

At Bestbuy they sell a clear plastic film for the purpose of covering an
LCD. It's similar to that film they put on shiny plastic parts to
protect them in shipping. It's in the camera department. Maybe $10 for
10 sheets.

Bob

Sheldon

Maybe you can modify the one that comes with a D70. They are under $10.

"Claus Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can't find a ready-made snap-on LCD protector for my camera.
>
> Can I use some type of inexpensive plastic film made for another
> purpose? Something that can peel off without leaving a residue.
>
> Preferably not some overpriced thing sold in camera stores.
>
> Or how about clear mylar packing tape and some safe way to remove the
> adhesive after use that doesn't disolve the screen, etc.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Claus

Jack Rosier

The screen protectors sold for PDA's could be cut down for use.

"Claus Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can't find a ready-made snap-on LCD protector for my camera.
>
> Can I use some type of inexpensive plastic film made for another
> purpose? Something that can peel off without leaving a residue.
>
> Preferably not some overpriced thing sold in camera stores.
>
> Or how about clear mylar packing tape and some safe way to remove the
> adhesive after use that doesn't disolve the screen, etc.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Claus

Bullwinkle. J. Moose

Check with B&H Photo they have several in their on line catalog.

I'm looking for one just now as well.

"Claus Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can't find a ready-made snap-on LCD protector for my camera.
>
> Can I use some type of inexpensive plastic film made for another
> purpose? Something that can peel off without leaving a residue.
>
> Preferably not some overpriced thing sold in camera stores.
>
> Or how about clear mylar packing tape and some safe way to remove the
> adhesive after use that doesn't disolve the screen, etc.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Claus

Hap Shaughnessy

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:03:33 +1100, Claus Jensen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can't find a ready-made snap-on LCD protector for my camera.
>
>Can I use some type of inexpensive plastic film made for another
>purpose? Something that can peel off without leaving a residue.
>
>Preferably not some overpriced thing sold in camera stores.
>
>Or how about clear mylar packing tape and some safe way to remove the
>adhesive after use that doesn't disolve the screen, etc.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Claus

Last week I bought a product made by Optex, "LCD Screen Protector for
Digital Cameras".

The package included 3 - 3"x4" sheets of paper backed micro film that
can be cut to size that will total 12 LCD protectors. 4 small lint
free anti-static cleaning wipes in foil packs, 2 wet—isopropyl
alcohol—and 2 dry. 1 - 1"x3" squeegee card made from the same glossy
finished cardboard as used in the packaging.

After two very careful tries following the instructions to the letter
I gave up.

Think of it. Peeling the backing off a small piece of sticky plastic
film while trying to unroll it across an LCD screen is very awkward to
say the lest. Even the line-drawing on back of the package is
incorrect and can't show how it's supposed to be done.

While trying to apply them perfectly straight they bubble, they
crease, specs of dust get under them no matter how well you prepared
your screen. And that mess doesn't sqeegee out.

The packaging also claims they reduce glare and enhance the image. Not
good enough for me.

A few months ago somebody replied to the same question and said that
the camera is a tool, don't worry about it, use it.

That sound advice was discarded when I saw this product in my local
camera store. It looked like a good idea to me at the time. IMHO a
waste of money. _DuH_!

.... Before sending this I gave it another try. Again the inevitable
small bubbles couldn't be removed and this time the cardboard sqeegee
scratched the plastic film...

You may have better luck.

Hap

Ron

Try the little kit sold at Radio Shack. Once you learn to cut the
sheets to size and apply them without bubbling (pretty easy to do both)
I think you'll find this a good solution. I've had them stay on my Olys
for months at a time. I would avoid any product that is not made
specifically for PDA's or digital cameras.

Marvin

Claus Jensen wrote:
> I can't find a ready-made snap-on LCD protector for my camera.
>
> Can I use some type of inexpensive plastic film made for another
> purpose? Something that can peel off without leaving a residue.
>
> Preferably not some overpriced thing sold in camera stores.
>
> Or how about clear mylar packing tape and some safe way to remove the
> adhesive after use that doesn't disolve the screen, etc.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Claus

Get a protector from www.daproducts.com. They are far better than the thin films.

Sheldon

"Jack Rosier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The screen protectors sold for PDA's could be cut down for use.

Most of those have a textured surface. Great for "writing" on, but not so
good for seeing through.

> "Claus Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I can't find a ready-made snap-on LCD protector for my camera.
>>
>> Can I use some type of inexpensive plastic film made for another
>> purpose? Something that can peel off without leaving a residue.
>>
>> Preferably not some overpriced thing sold in camera stores.
>>
>> Or how about clear mylar packing tape and some safe way to remove the
>> adhesive after use that doesn't disolve the screen, etc.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Claus

Frank Vuotto

>Claus Jensen wrote:
>> I can't find a ready-made snap-on LCD protector for my camera.

cut a PDA protector to size ?

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/