Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question about SD

Reply
Thread Tools

Question about SD

 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2005
Hi

I am about to purchase my first digital camera, and also an extra SD card.
(It seems that all the cameras I have looked at only include a 16MB card,
which seems a little small).

It appears there are different "types" of SD - I have seen terms like "ULTRA
II", "32x", "40x", "66x". I assume these represent some measure of the data
transfer speed. But what really is the best and what is the minimum
"acceptable"? What differences would I see with a "Panasonic FZ20" camera?

Also, are there brands to steer away from? I notice "sandisk" a lot, so
maybe this is a market leader?

Thanks,
Peter


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stacey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2005
Peter wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am about to purchase my first digital camera, and also an extra SD card.
> (It seems that all the cameras I have looked at only include a 16MB card,
> which seems a little small).
>
> It appears there are different "types" of SD - I have seen terms like
> "ULTRA II", "32x", "40x", "66x". I assume these represent some measure of
> the data transfer speed. But what really is the best and what is the
> minimum "acceptable"? What differences would I see with a "Panasonic FZ20"
> camera?
>


Need to know what camera. Most can't actually use the speeds over 40X and
unless it's a large MP camera, even the slower cards work fine.

--

Stacey
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2005

"Stacey" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am about to purchase my first digital camera, and also an extra SD

card.
> > (It seems that all the cameras I have looked at only include a 16MB

card,
> > which seems a little small).
> >
> > It appears there are different "types" of SD - I have seen terms like
> > "ULTRA II", "32x", "40x", "66x". I assume these represent some measure

of
> > the data transfer speed. But what really is the best and what is the
> > minimum "acceptable"? What differences would I see with a "Panasonic

FZ20"
> > camera?
> >

>
> Need to know what camera. Most can't actually use the speeds over 40X and
> unless it's a large MP camera, even the slower cards work fine.


It's a "Panasonic FZ20".


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jason P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2005
I'll bet dimes to dollars that Panasonic has an approved cards list. Better
check that out before buying.

"Peter" <peter@ciber> wrote in message news:420b1d6d$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Stacey" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Peter wrote:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I am about to purchase my first digital camera, and also an extra SD

> card.
>> > (It seems that all the cameras I have looked at only include a 16MB

> card,
>> > which seems a little small).
>> >
>> > It appears there are different "types" of SD - I have seen terms like
>> > "ULTRA II", "32x", "40x", "66x". I assume these represent some measure

> of
>> > the data transfer speed. But what really is the best and what is the
>> > minimum "acceptable"? What differences would I see with a "Panasonic

> FZ20"
>> > camera?
>> >

>>
>> Need to know what camera. Most can't actually use the speeds over 40X
>> and
>> unless it's a large MP camera, even the slower cards work fine.

>
> It's a "Panasonic FZ20".
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
pgcs@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2005
Panasonic FZ20 is 5 MP camera, so 32X write speed would be a good
minimum though 40X may give you a slight edge.
Sandisk is very good, as is Lexar. Because of quality/warranty
concerns, generic brands should be avoided.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question row filter (more of sql query question) =?Utf-8?B?YW5kcmV3MDA3?= ASP .Net 2 10-06-2005 01:07 PM
Quick Question - Newby Question =?Utf-8?B?UnlhbiBTbWl0aA==?= ASP .Net 4 02-16-2005 11:59 AM
Question on Transcender Question :-) eddiec MCSE 6 05-20-2004 06:59 AM
Question re: features of the 831 router (also a 924 question) Wayne Cisco 0 03-02-2004 07:57 PM
Syntax Question - Novice Question sean ASP .Net 1 10-20-2003 12:18 PM



Advertisments