Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > coolpix 995 memory back to front

coolpix 995 memory back to front

Dominic

this is odd, but it looks like you can put the CF memory in a
coolpix995 the wrong way around

ive never seen anything like this before, even a cheapo card reader
has the right shaped slot so that it is impossible to put the card in
wrong. for some reason the camera doesn't have this so you can put it
in either way. one way works, the other busts the camera.

the instructions are really usefull. they say make sure the label on
the card is facing the front of the camera. the card has labels on
both sides...

anyone else experienced this? how do you know which way to put the
card in to avoid busting the camera?

Bullwinkle. J. Moose

You can it part of the way in backwards or upside down. Don't force it and
it will only go in correctly. If you force it hard you will bend the
terminals in the camera and you have an expensive repair job.

"Dominic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> this is odd, but it looks like you can put the CF memory in a
> coolpix995 the wrong way around
>
> ive never seen anything like this before, even a cheapo card reader
> has the right shaped slot so that it is impossible to put the card in
> wrong. for some reason the camera doesn't have this so you can put it
> in either way. one way works, the other busts the camera.
>
> the instructions are really usefull. they say make sure the label on
> the card is facing the front of the camera. the card has labels on
> both sides...
>
> anyone else experienced this? how do you know which way to put the
> card in to avoid busting the camera?

Frank ess

Bullwinkle. J. Moose wrote:
> You can it part of the way in backwards or upside down. Don't force
> it and it will only go in correctly. If you force it hard you will
> bend the terminals in the camera and you have an expensive repair job.
>
> "Dominic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> this is odd, but it looks like you can put the CF memory in a
>> coolpix995 the wrong way around
>>
>> ive never seen anything like this before, even a cheapo card reader
>> has the right shaped slot so that it is impossible to put the card in
>> wrong. for some reason the camera doesn't have this so you can put it
>> in either way. one way works, the other busts the camera.
>>
>> the instructions are really usefull. they say make sure the label on
>> the card is facing the front of the camera. the card has labels on
>> both sides...
>>
>> anyone else experienced this? how do you know which way to put the
>> card in to avoid busting the camera?

All my cards have the Manufacturer's Face on one side and his minor info
on the other; in the 995 the Face goes to the front. That is, when you
are behind the camera with the card in your hand, ready to insert it,
you should not be able to see the face. The identifying ridge will be
vertical, and under your thumb.

--
Frank ess

Scott W

I have never been able to get one in backwards, I think you would have
to push pretty hard to do so.

Scott

Bullwinkle. J. Moose

I haven't either. It's pretty straight forward.

"Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have never been able to get one in backwards, I think you would have
> to push pretty hard to do so.
>
> Scott

Ed Ruf

On 8 Feb 2005 17:02:26 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dominic) wrote:

>this is odd, but it looks like you can put the CF memory in a
>coolpix995 the wrong way around
>
>ive never seen anything like this before, even a cheapo card reader
>has the right shaped slot so that it is impossible to put the card in
>wrong. for some reason the camera doesn't have this so you can put it
>in either way. one way works, the other busts the camera.
>
>the instructions are really usefull. they say make sure the label on
>the card is facing the front of the camera. the card has labels on
>both sides...
>
>anyone else experienced this? how do you know which way to put the
>card in to avoid busting the camera?

Just looked at my 990 and the "front" of the card faces to the rear,
not the front. You can easily just drop the card into the slot either
way. But done correctly it takes only a small force to get the pins to
engage. If the other way it would take an extreme amount of force. The
difference is easily distinguished to stop you from forcing it the
wrong way. Quickly checking the 990 and 995 manuals shows them to be
opposite in regards to the card orientation.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

anon

"Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsAgOd.8714$sR5.1760@trndny05...
> You can it part of the way in backwards or upside down. Don't force it and
> it will only go in correctly. If you force it hard you will bend the
> terminals in the camera and you have an expensive repair job.

If you put the card in back to front, it will go in far enough that the card
touches the pins, about three quarters in (but the holes don't quite line
up, so the card won't go in fully).

As you probably know, it takes a certain amount of pressure to insert a CF
card correctly (there are about 50 pins, after all). If you apply this
pressure to an incorrectly inserted card, all the pressure is on the pins
and therefore the joints and the board itself. This could very easily damage
the camera.

CF cards have a built in, foolproof mechanism which makes it impossible to
insert a card incorrectly. Why the hell have Nikon deliberately circumvented
this so that it is possible to insert it backwards?

The only way to avoid potentially damaging the camera is to follow the
instructions to the letter. Make sure you have the "label" facing the front
of the camera.

My CF card has a label on it - it says index, and it has a space for you to
write something to identify (ie label) the card. It also has something on
the other side, with the manufacturers logo and the size of the card - maybe
that is a label too?

Someone said this was "straightforward"!

anon

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 8 Feb 2005 17:02:26 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
> (E-Mail Removed) (Dominic) wrote:
>
> >this is odd, but it looks like you can put the CF memory in a
> >coolpix995 the wrong way around
> >
> >ive never seen anything like this before, even a cheapo card reader
> >has the right shaped slot so that it is impossible to put the card in
> >wrong. for some reason the camera doesn't have this so you can put it
> >in either way. one way works, the other busts the camera.
> >
> >the instructions are really usefull. they say make sure the label on
> >the card is facing the front of the camera. the card has labels on
> >both sides...
> >
> >anyone else experienced this? how do you know which way to put the
> >card in to avoid busting the camera?

> Just looked at my 990 and the "front" of the card faces to the rear,
> not the front. You can easily just drop the card into the slot either
> way. But done correctly it takes only a small force to get the pins to
> engage. If the other way it would take an extreme amount of force. The
> difference is easily distinguished to stop you from forcing it the
> wrong way. Quickly checking the 990 and 995 manuals shows them to be
> opposite in regards to the card orientation.

Does the 990 manual talk about the "front" of the card, the 995 only talks
about the side with the "label" which seems pretty ambiguous to me.

I agree it would take excessive force to push the card in, probably it isn't
even possible (the pins would probably bend first). But how much force might
it take to damage the camera (eg breaking a PCB track or solder joint),
short of actually bending a pin? Considerably less I would guess, and maybe
the sort of force you might apply if you thought the card was correct but
just a bit stiff.

All this would be irrelevant if they had just designed the CF slot properly.

Paul J Gans

Scott W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have never been able to get one in backwards, I think you would have
>to push pretty hard to do so.

>Scott

There is only a little plastic tab that keeps the card from
going in backwards.

While I have never had a problem in a camera, I recently managed
(with no pressure at all) to break the tab off in the CF reader
I've got on my computer. Now the CF card will go in either way.

This seems to be a bad design flaw in the CF cards.

---- Paul J. Gans

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:21:03 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "anon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>Does the 990 manual talk about the "front" of the card, the 995 only talks
>about the side with the "label" which seems pretty ambiguous to me.

It says label. Also tells you follow the orientation as shown on the inside
of the cover. Sorry, but with this and the illustration in the manual it
seemed obvious to me, almost four years ago. In fact the Fast Track Guide
just shows the same illustration and says insert the cards as shown in the
illustration.... Inserting cards upside down or backwards could damage the
camera or the card.

>I agree it would take excessive force to push the card in, probably it isn't
>even possible (the pins would probably bend first). But how much force might
>it take to damage the camera (eg breaking a PCB track or solder joint),
>short of actually bending a pin? Considerably less I would guess, and maybe
>the sort of force you might apply if you thought the card was correct but
>just a bit stiff.
>
>All this would be irrelevant if they had just designed the CF slot properly.

Sound like you broke something by inserting the card incorrectly. Sorry to
hear this. But in my experience there is no way I'd try forcing a card that
hard. And I put the card in my D70 backwards initially maybe half the time
as it's the opposite direction of that for my 990 and 5700.

I do't know what else you are looking for.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at