Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Inkjet prints lifetime in photo album

Reply
Thread Tools

Inkjet prints lifetime in photo album

 
 
alacriti@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2005
I am considering purchasing either the Epson R800 or the Canon i9900
printer. I'm planning on mounting prints I make in a photo album. I
understand the Canon prints have a lifetime of something like 30 years
under glass in display conditions. What does this translate to if the
photos are mounted in a photo album? It would be nice to make
something that would be around for the grandkids.

Thanks in advance,

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RSD99
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2005
"alacriti" posted:
"...
It would be nice to make something that would be around for the grandkids.
...."

If so .. the Epson R800 uses the Ultrachrome pigmented inks. These are the
closest thing to archival that anyone has come up with ... to date, anyway.
Print life ratings seem to be well into the three-digit range.

You can find out more at Wilhelm Imaging Research, Inc.
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
An article and ratings on the R800 are at
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/R800.html
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epso...2004_12_03.pdf

Oh ... and FWIW: the tests I have seen for the Canon do not appear to be
anywhere near as long.




<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I am considering purchasing either the Epson R800 or the Canon i9900
> printer. I'm planning on mounting prints I make in a photo album. I
> understand the Canon prints have a lifetime of something like 30 years
> under glass in display conditions. What does this translate to if the
> photos are mounted in a photo album? It would be nice to make
> something that would be around for the grandkids.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ben Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2005
RSD99 wrote:
> "alacriti" posted:
> "...
> It would be nice to make something that would be around for the grandkids.
> ..."
>
> If so .. the Epson R800 uses the Ultrachrome pigmented inks. These are the
> closest thing to archival that anyone has come up with ... to date, anyway.
> Print life ratings seem to be well into the three-digit range.
>
> You can find out more at Wilhelm Imaging Research, Inc.
> http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
> An article and ratings on the R800 are at
> http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/R800.html
> http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epso...2004_12_03.pdf
>
> Oh ... and FWIW: the tests I have seen for the Canon do not appear to be
> anywhere near as long.


I don't have access to WWW right now, so can you tell me if those links mention
print longevity in an album (which is what the OP was asking basically)?

--
--
Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
peter clarkson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) roups.com>...
> I am considering purchasing either the Epson R800 or the Canon i9900
> printer. I'm planning on mounting prints I make in a photo album. I
> understand the Canon prints have a lifetime of something like 30 years
> under glass in display conditions. What does this translate to if the
> photos are mounted in a photo album? It would be nice to make
> something that would be around for the grandkids.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Sorry, can't answer Your question directly.However, Epson claim print
life of 75 years with r800 and relevant paper.I have R800 and I can
recomend print quality.I would have thought that prints 'sealed' in a
modern photo album with plastic inserts and in relative darkness most
of time, would last as least as long as anything hanging on a wall.
Peter.
 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2005

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am considering purchasing either the Epson R800 or the Canon i9900
> printer. I'm planning on mounting prints I make in a photo album. I
> understand the Canon prints have a lifetime of something like 30 years
> under glass in display conditions. What does this translate to if the
> photos are mounted in a photo album? It would be nice to make
> something that would be around for the grandkids.
>
> Thanks in advance,


The Epson's Ultra Chrome inks are pigment-based, and will outlast ANY dye-based system
currently available for desktop printing.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2005
peter clarkson wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) roups.com>...
>
>>I am considering purchasing either the Epson R800 or the Canon i9900
>>printer. I'm planning on mounting prints I make in a photo album. I
>>understand the Canon prints have a lifetime of something like 30 years
>>under glass in display conditions. What does this translate to if the
>>photos are mounted in a photo album? It would be nice to make
>>something that would be around for the grandkids.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,

>
> Sorry, can't answer Your question directly.However, Epson claim print
> life of 75 years with r800 and relevant paper.I have R800 and I can
> recomend print quality.I would have thought that prints 'sealed' in a
> modern photo album with plastic inserts and in relative darkness most
> of time, would last as least as long as anything hanging on a wall.
> Peter.


Wouldn't plastic inserts be a bad idea if you're looking for longevity?

--
--
Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2005
Ben Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> RSD99 wrote:
>> "alacriti" posted:
>> "...
>> It would be nice to make something that would be around for the grandkids.
>> ..."
>> If so .. the Epson R800 uses the Ultrachrome pigmented inks. These
>> are the
>> closest thing to archival that anyone has come up with ... to date, anyway.
>> Print life ratings seem to be well into the three-digit range.
>> You can find out more at Wilhelm Imaging Research, Inc.
>> http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
>> An article and ratings on the R800 are at
>> http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/R800.html
>> http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epso...2004_12_03.pdf
>> Oh ... and FWIW: the tests I have seen for the Canon do not appear
>> to be
>> anywhere near as long.

>
> I don't have access to WWW right now, so can you tell me if those
> links mention print longevity in an album (which is what the OP was
> asking basically)?


Yes; one of the categories they give a rating for is "Album/dark
storage". For those conditions, *all* of the papers they tested the
Epson R800 with rate over 100 years, and most rate over 200 years.

Since you say "right now", perhaps
<http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/R800.html> will be useful to
you later, or to other people.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
rafe bustin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2005
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:12:09 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:


>The Epson's Ultra Chrome inks are pigment-based, and will outlast ANY dye-based system
>currently available for desktop printing.



Not necessarily. The HP DesignJet 30 and 130 (and a
few other HP models) get an 82 year Wilhelm rating
on selected HP media.

Not disputing your *general* point that pigment
inks will yield better longevity than dyes. But
the HP ink/paper system is a specific exception.



rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2005

"rafe bustin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:12:09 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>
>>The Epson's Ultra Chrome inks are pigment-based, and will outlast ANY dye-based system
>>currently available for desktop printing.

>
>
> Not necessarily. The HP DesignJet 30 and 130 (and a
> few other HP models) get an 82 year Wilhelm rating
> on selected HP media.
>
> Not disputing your *general* point that pigment
> inks will yield better longevity than dyes. But
> the HP ink/paper system is a specific exception.


My personal experience is that Willhelm has been very very wrong in the
past...specifically with regard to Epson's 1270/870 printers and ink. They had horrible
shift problems (and I'm an Epson guy!)...even after fabulous claims of longevity from
Willhelm.

I do understand that he is widely regarded as the longevity guru...but I would be very
cautious when considering ANY ink-based system that is not behind glass, or where future
handling cannot necessarily be predicted (which definitely includes albums).


 
Reply With Quote
 
rafe bustin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2005
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 04:20:03 GMT, Ben Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:


>Wouldn't plastic inserts be a bad idea if you're looking for longevity?



Works for me.

The main thing you want to do is keep
them away from atmospheric contaminants,
heat, and strong light.

Best thing you can do to preserve a print
is frame it, under glass or plexi, using
a proper mat.


rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ordering prints online using Corel Photo Album 6.0 Jan Digital Photography 2 01-07-2008 06:50 PM
texture on my inkjet photo prints gypsy3001@yahoo.com Digital Photography 5 10-12-2005 08:43 AM
Try DVD Photo Album version 3.01 to make digital photo album playable on TV with DVD player Michael Shaw Digital Photography 1 09-24-2004 09:10 AM
Durability of inkjet prints, photo prints Bill Tuthill Digital Photography 45 05-02-2004 03:04 AM
Backprinting photo prints - inkjet or laserjet? Harry Digital Photography 7 01-25-2004 10:02 AM



Advertisments