Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: linksys wireless loses signal.

Re: linksys wireless loses signal.

mike

yes there are lots of things on that band, esp DECT phones and alike.
video senders etc etc, sadly the list is getting longer.
a current one that totally screwed the harlow-wide system some time back was
these single pole cellphone units made for local deadspots.
it is not on the same channels but very near & the harmonic killed it dead.
onetime when radio knowledge was a great help. even the cisco engineer was
stumped

mike

"Curious" <Curious @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had terrible time getting my linksys router and wireless connection

working. Had to reset and remove all drivers and software and reinstall it
all.
> When trying to get the wireless working I finally had to change channels

to get a signal.

> I'm trying to understand why that was. I started on channel 6 and changed

to channel 11. Are there over the air interference that could cause that?

> Also When I view status I somtimes see other ssid's available such as

netgear. Are those possible interference sources I should be concerned
about?

---

=?Utf-8?B?Y3VyaW91cw==?=

Thank you very much for your explanation. Just wondering though about other ssid's like netgear. Why do those show up showing various levels of signal strength from time to time? Can they interfere with my connection?

"mike" wrote:

> yes there are lots of things on that band, esp DECT phones and alike.
> video senders etc etc, sadly the list is getting longer.
> a current one that totally screwed the harlow-wide system some time back was
> these single pole cellphone units made for local deadspots.
> it is not on the same channels but very near & the harmonic killed it dead.
> onetime when radio knowledge was a great help. even the cisco engineer was
> stumped
>
> mike
>

> "Curious" <Curious @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I had terrible time getting my linksys router and wireless connection

> working. Had to reset and remove all drivers and software and reinstall it
> all.
> > When trying to get the wireless working I finally had to change channels

> to get a signal.
> >
> > I'm trying to understand why that was. I started on channel 6 and changed

> to channel 11. Are there over the air interference that could cause that?
> >
> > Also When I view status I somtimes see other ssid's available such as

> netgear. Are those possible interference sources I should be concerned
> about?
> >

> ---

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

"curious" wrote:

> Thank you very much for your explanation. Just wondering though about other ssid's like netgear. Why do those show up showing various levels of signal strength from time to time? Can they interfere with my connection?
>
> "mike" wrote:
>
> > yes there are lots of things on that band, esp DECT phones and alike.
> > video senders etc etc, sadly the list is getting longer.
> > a current one that totally screwed the harlow-wide system some time back was
> > these single pole cellphone units made for local deadspots.
> > it is not on the same channels but very near & the harmonic killed it dead.
> > onetime when radio knowledge was a great help. even the cisco engineer was
> > stumped
> >
> > mike
> >

> > "Curious" <Curious @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I had terrible time getting my linksys router and wireless connection

> > working. Had to reset and remove all drivers and software and reinstall it
> > all.
> > > When trying to get the wireless working I finally had to change channels

> > to get a signal.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to understand why that was. I started on channel 6 and changed

> > to channel 11. Are there over the air interference that could cause that?
> > >
> > > Also When I view status I somtimes see other ssid's available such as

> > netgear. Are those possible interference sources I should be concerned
> > about?
> > >

> > ---

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

I've had the same problem with Linksys and XP. Not only does the signal drop, but it won't retain the WEP key.

Not surprisingly, Microsoft support is unable to address the problem....

"curious" wrote:

> Thank you very much for your explanation. Just wondering though about other ssid's like netgear. Why do those show up showing various levels of signal strength from time to time? Can they interfere with my connection?
>
> "mike" wrote:
>
> > yes there are lots of things on that band, esp DECT phones and alike.
> > video senders etc etc, sadly the list is getting longer.
> > a current one that totally screwed the harlow-wide system some time back was
> > these single pole cellphone units made for local deadspots.
> > it is not on the same channels but very near & the harmonic killed it dead.
> > onetime when radio knowledge was a great help. even the cisco engineer was
> > stumped
> >
> > mike
> >

> > "Curious" <Curious @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I had terrible time getting my linksys router and wireless connection

> > working. Had to reset and remove all drivers and software and reinstall it
> > all.
> > > When trying to get the wireless working I finally had to change channels

> > to get a signal.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to understand why that was. I started on channel 6 and changed

> > to channel 11. Are there over the air interference that could cause that?
> > >
> > > Also When I view status I somtimes see other ssid's available such as

> > netgear. Are those possible interference sources I should be concerned
> > about?
> > >

> > ---

mike

they should all co-exist and share the channel, but why not change it to a
quite one.
else....
hijack the others u can hear!! free internet access if it is not secured!

mike

"curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you very much for your explanation. Just wondering though about

other ssid's like netgear. Why do those show up showing various levels of
signal strength from time to time? Can they interfere with my connection?

> "mike" wrote:
>
> > yes there are lots of things on that band, esp DECT phones and alike.
> > video senders etc etc, sadly the list is getting longer.
> > a current one that totally screwed the harlow-wide system some time back

was
> > these single pole cellphone units made for local deadspots.
> > it is not on the same channels but very near & the harmonic killed it

dead.
> > onetime when radio knowledge was a great help. even the cisco engineer

was
> > stumped
> >
> > mike
> >

> > "Curious" <Curious @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I had terrible time getting my linksys router and wireless connection

> > working. Had to reset and remove all drivers and software and reinstall

it
> > all.
> > > When trying to get the wireless working I finally had to change

channels
> > to get a signal.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to understand why that was. I started on channel 6 and

changed
> > to channel 11. Are there over the air interference that could cause

that?

> > > Also When I view status I somtimes see other ssid's available such as

> > netgear. Are those possible interference sources I should be concerned
> > about?
> > >

> > ---

---