Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ? about software to make time-lapse movies

? about software to make time-lapse movies

NadCixelsyd

I'm looking for a new camera and I want one that can take time-lapse movies.

Then it dawned on me. The photographs are digital, maybe someone has written
software to combine hundreds of JPG(?) stills into a movie. Then I could widen
my camera shopping. If so, any recommendations.

As for taking hundreds of still shots, do digital cameras accept those thingys
for taking a picture without jaring the camera (They're usually 18" long with a
button that pushes down a long tube. I can't rememver what they're called)

MarkČ

"NadCixelsyd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for a new camera and I want one that can take time-lapse movies.
>
> Then it dawned on me. The photographs are digital, maybe someone has written
> software to combine hundreds of JPG(?) stills into a movie. Then I could widen
> my camera shopping. If so, any recommendations.
>
> As for taking hundreds of still shots, do digital cameras accept those thingys
> for taking a picture without jaring the camera (They're usually 18" long with a
> button that pushes down a long tube. I can't rememver what they're called)

There are quite a few programs that will allow play-back or video creation as time-lapse
or stop-motion animation.

The "thingy" you describe is a remote shutter release.
Many cameras have these as optional accessories, and ALL digital SLRs have them available
as options.

I very easy way to create movies from stills is by using ProShowGold.
You simply select all files, and drag them to the time-line...then set all the frames to a
short duration of time (say...1/10th of a second), and remove transitions between them.
Once you have them in sequence, you can save them as a video file (mpeg), exe file, DVD,
and many other options.

John G

"NadCixelsyd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for a new camera and I want one that can take time-lapse
> movies.
>
> Then it dawned on me. The photographs are digital, maybe someone has
> written
> software to combine hundreds of JPG(?) stills into a movie. Then I
> could widen
> my camera shopping. If so, any recommendations.
>
> As for taking hundreds of still shots, do digital cameras accept those
> thingys
> for taking a picture without jaring the camera (They're usually 18"
> long with a
> button that pushes down a long tube. I can't rememver what they're
> called)

The Canon A40 to A95 series and most likely many others come with
various software including a Remote Capture Task which uses the USB
connection between your computer and your camera and takes pictures till
you have filled your hard disk and allows all sorts of settings which
vary from camera to camera
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Randy Berbaum

NadCixelsyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: As for taking hundreds of still shots, do digital cameras accept those
: thingys for taking a picture without jaring the camera (They're usually
: 18" long with a button that pushes down a long tube. I can't rememver
: what they're called)

What you seem to be thinking of is a cable release. This was a coiled wire
inside a coiled tube that allowed the inner wire to move inside the outer,
while both were flexable. This was traditionally screwed into a hole in
the shutter button to manually trigger the camera without imparting
vibration from the button press to move the camera.

Some modern cameras may have a connection for such a device, but I haven't
seen such a connection for quite a while. But there is some good news.
Most D-SLRs do have some form of remote available that will do the same
thing. Some use an IR remote (like a TV remote) that has to be used from
infront of the lens (not a good idea in most uses other than taking photos
of yourself). Some use a radio remote that can be used from all sides but
can be interfered with in some electronically "noisy" locations. One other
type of remote is a "wired remote" that uses an electricly wired switch to
trigger the camera. For your use (from what you are asking) this would be
your best bet. It may even be possible to modify the button to trigger
with a self timer so that you can do timelapse photos over long time
periods without being monotored by you. Most cameras have at least one and
sometimes more than one of these remotes available.

I am assuming that you want to take these photos in remote locations, away
from your computer. Because, many D-SLR cameras have cables that will
connect them to a computer that can then capture the images under computer
control and store the photos on the computer Hard Drive.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Big Bill

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 19:58:24 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"NadCixelsyd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm looking for a new camera and I want one that can take time-lapse movies.
>>
>> Then it dawned on me. The photographs are digital, maybe someone has written
>> software to combine hundreds of JPG(?) stills into a movie. Then I could widen
>> my camera shopping. If so, any recommendations.
>>
>> As for taking hundreds of still shots, do digital cameras accept those thingys
>> for taking a picture without jaring the camera (They're usually 18" long with a
>> button that pushes down a long tube. I can't rememver what they're called)

>There are quite a few programs that will allow play-back or video creation as time-lapse
>or stop-motion animation.
>
>The "thingy" you describe is a remote shutter release.
>Many cameras have these as optional accessories, and ALL digital SLRs have them available
>as options.

It's a *manual* remote shutter release.
I don't think ALL DSLRs have them; I can't find one for my DR/300D. If
you know of one, I'd appreciate a link.
I can shoot remotely, using the remote included with the camera, but
it's not the same thing; it uses the self-timer.

>I very easy way to create movies from stills is by using ProShowGold.
>You simply select all files, and drag them to the time-line...then set all the frames to a
>short duration of time (say...1/10th of a second), and remove transitions between them.
>Once you have them in sequence, you can save them as a video file (mpeg), exe file, DVD,
>and many other options.

PSP has Animation Shop included with it, too.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

paul

Some cameras have the timer ability built in as an in-camera option for
time lapse which is really what you need.

I believe there are programs which will do remote control over various
cameras, I use Nikon's own Capture and it has a time lapse timer function.

The cable release has pretty much been abandoned for infrared remote
controls, otherwise I could have used my old super-8 timer and a cable
release without hooking up a laptop. Manually timed time lapse just
doesn't look good, it is very jumpy not to mention boring work.

Windows XP has a Moviemaker program (free download for latest) though
it's not very fancy, it'll make short segments.