Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digicam with best video recording

Digicam with best video recording

Vin

MY Criteria is:

4-5 megapixel camera with manual settings, good flash & BEST in class
video capabilities (unlimited recording limited by media size, exposure
correction during recording for better quality videos etc) for basic
in-the-house video needs

Not looking at splurging too much, maybe about $300. I did some digging
and found that the Sony P73/93 and Nikon 5200 MIGHT offer what i want.

Anyone willing to confirm/vouch for them?

TIA,
Vin

SleeperMan

Vin wrote:
> MY Criteria is:
>
> 4-5 megapixel camera with manual settings, good flash & BEST in class
> video capabilities (unlimited recording limited by media size,
> exposure correction during recording for better quality videos etc)
> for basic in-the-house video needs
>
> Not looking at splurging too much, maybe about $300. I did some
> digging and found that the Sony P73/93 and Nikon 5200 MIGHT offer
> what i want.
>
> Anyone willing to confirm/vouch for them?
>
> TIA,
> Vin

just my humble opinion...if you want to shoot home video - normally from
hand, get a camera with image stabilizer or all your video's will be shaky.
I have Canon S1 IS - 3.2 M, 640x480 30 fps, 10 x optical zoom, image
stabilizer. video size is only limited to 1G, which gives about 8 minutes in
best mode. After that (with larger card) you must stop and start again.
at the end, if you think, 8 minutes is quite enough for home needs. You'll
probably need so long shot very rarely.
BTW...4-5M is definitely not needed for video shooting, since you shoot in
640x480 mode, which gives ONLY 300.000 pixels. But big optical zoom is very
usefull, also beware since not all cameras allow zooming while filming (S1
allows).

paulsgooglenew@yahoo.com

The Canon s1 IS has a 640x320 regular and fine mode. The Konica
Minolta Dimage Z3 has an excellent video mode. It also has image
stabilization. I think both cameras allow you to zoom while using
video. I know the Canon S1 IS you can do primitive editing from the
camera. Just a warning that video clips can get really large.

With the Canon S1 IS you need a fast CF card or else the video will
periodically stop and wait for the video to be written to the card.

Paul