Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Problems with an older Sony Mavica

Problems with an older Sony Mavica

Sheldon

My old Sony Mavica has trouble finding the floppy when inserted. Sometimes
I have to put it in and eject it over and over, and sometimes banging on it
helps before it recognizes the disk. Anybody else have this problem? Any
simple solutions? I still like the camera, and would like to use it
occasionally (I just got a new D70), but I doubt sending it in for repair
would be worth it.

I'm not too squeamish to take it apart, either.

Thanks.

Sheldon

Bob Harrington

Sheldon wrote:
> My old Sony Mavica has trouble finding the floppy when inserted.
> Sometimes I have to put it in and eject it over and over, and
> sometimes banging on it helps before it recognizes the disk. Anybody
> else have this problem? Any simple solutions? I still like the
> camera, and would like to use it occasionally (I just got a new D70),
> but I doubt sending it in for repair would be worth it.

Might it be something as simple as a dirty read/write head on the floppy
drive? Running one of those 3.5" cleaning disks a couple times could do
the trick. If not, then you can get more adventurous and/or broke...
;^)

Bob ^,,^

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Sheldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My old Sony Mavica has trouble finding the floppy when inserted. Sometimes
> I have to put it in and eject it over and over, and sometimes banging on it
> helps before it recognizes the disk. Anybody else have this problem? Any
> simple solutions? I still like the camera, and would like to use it
> occasionally (I just got a new D70), but I doubt sending it in for repair
> would be worth it.

Floppies use magnetic tape. The read heads eventually get coated in
oxide deposits - like VHS heads and the like. Get yourself a wet or dry
floppy head cleaner and try that first.