Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 1Ds Mark-II + Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS lens

Canon 1Ds Mark-II + Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS lens

Siddhartha Jain

I can only say WOW!! Landed in Manila yesterday and went to this
Photoworld exhibition they have here. Canon's stall had the 1Ds Mark-II
on display. I asked the rep to show me the camera. He tried to get a
regular lens but found his colleague using it on the 1D. So he took out
the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 "L" IS lens from the showcase and put it on and
gave me the camera to play with

It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!

I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought those
are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.

Phew!! Wow!! What a lens and what a camera!!

Eric Gill

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I can only say WOW!! Landed in Manila yesterday and went to this
> Photoworld exhibition they have here. Canon's stall had the 1Ds Mark-II
> on display. I asked the rep to show me the camera. He tried to get a
> regular lens but found his colleague using it on the 1D. So he took out
> the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 "L" IS lens from the showcase and put it on and
> gave me the camera to play with

Like a good drug dealer...

> It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
> expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
> saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!
>
> I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought those
> are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.

Your first mistake. Your second one was dispelling that illusion by
actually using one. Now you are on the Golden Treadmill of The Empty Bank
Account. ;-}

> Phew!! Wow!! What a lens and what a camera!!

One obersvation - the Sigma version is easily the equal of the 70-200
EXCEPT for lacking the IS. It's served me very well indeed.

If you can live without the IS, you can pay roughly half as much for that
eye-popping quality.

Skip M

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I can only say WOW!! Landed in Manila yesterday and went to this
> Photoworld exhibition they have here. Canon's stall had the 1Ds Mark-II
> on display. I asked the rep to show me the camera. He tried to get a
> regular lens but found his colleague using it on the 1D. So he took out
> the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 "L" IS lens from the showcase and put it on and
> gave me the camera to play with
>
> It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
> expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
> saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!
>
> I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought those
> are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.
>
> Phew!! Wow!! What a lens and what a camera!!

No, they're not just for pros who "need" the sharpness, contrast and speed
of the "L" lenses, they're for anyone who WANTS those qualities!

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Siddhartha Jain

Eric Gill wrote:

> Like a good drug dealer...

You bet!! If I could sell my car and other stuff online back in India
and get the money then I would've done it in instant.

> > It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I

was
> > expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped

when I
> > saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!
> >
> > I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought

those
> > are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.

> Your first mistake. Your second one was dispelling that illusion by
> actually using one. Now you are on the Golden Treadmill of The Empty

Bank
> Account. ;-}

Correction. Negative networth, not zero networth!!

> > Phew!! Wow!! What a lens and what a camera!!

> One obersvation - the Sigma version is easily the equal of the 70-200

> EXCEPT for lacking the IS. It's served me very well indeed.

Heh, after a 300D, the accessories, and two Sigma lenses (24-135mm and
70-300mm), I am so broke that I can't even dream of a $800 lens!!

- Siddhartha

Steve Wolfe

> It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
> expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
> saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!

You didn't notice what the ISO was, did you?

steve

Siddhartha Jain

Skip M wrote:
> No, they're not just for pros who "need" the sharpness, contrast and

speed
> of the "L" lenses, they're for anyone who WANTS those qualities!

I was trying to shoot some lit-up ferries at night while they were in
motion with kit lens and given the slow shutter speeds that you get in
the night coupled with the fact that the ferries were in motion gave me
blurred photos. Shutter speeds would come to 1/2 or 1/4 sec and so I
thought even if I bought a gazillion dollar lens, it would still
improve to 1/8sec maybe. But I guess I know the answer now

Anyways, I'll take my kit lens to the same spot tomorrow and see what
shutter speed does it throw up at f3.5. Ideally, half a stop difference
should give me a shutter speed of somewhere around 1/400sec (the 70-200
"L" gave me 1/500sec).

Now now, I am in no way trying to compare them but just want to check.

- Siddhartha

Siddhartha Jain

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> I can only say WOW!! Landed in Manila yesterday and went to this
> Photoworld exhibition they have here. Canon's stall had the 1Ds

Mark-II
> on display. I asked the rep to show me the camera. He tried to get a
> regular lens but found his colleague using it on the 1D. So he took

out
> the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 "L" IS lens from the showcase and put it on

and
> gave me the camera to play with

Apart from the Canon, there were ofcourse Nikon and Minolta. The Canon
and Minolta guys readily let me play with the cameras. Infact, the
Canon guy had to do some legwork to get the 1Ds-mark-II out of the
showcase. The Nikon guy discouraged me from asking him to take the
camera out of the showcase (D70). First directed me to a colleague, who
directed me back to this guy. Then just pointed at the D70 in the
showcase when I asked him to bring it out. Only when I repeated that I
want it my hands did she yield!! Sheesh!!

Then went to the Sigma guy who announced that he was die-hard Sigma
fan. His reasoning was my Sigma, for half the price of Canon, will last
me four years. The Canon will last me eight years. After four years, I
will have a new lens while the Canon guy will have a four year old lens
Heheh ... interesting viewpoint.

- Siddhartha

Dave R knows who

"Steve Wolfe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
>> expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
>> saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!

> You didn't notice what the ISO was, did you?

Why? Only a pro would do that!

Siddhartha Jain

Steve Wolfe wrote:
> > It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I

was
> > expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped

when I
> > saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!

> You didn't notice what the ISO was, did you?

I did - it was ISO 100. I'll go over to Sigma's stall tomorrow and
check their 70-200mm f2.8 EX IF HSM.

- Siddhartha

paul

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

>>>I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought

>> those
>>>are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.

> Heh, after a 300D, the accessories, and two Sigma lenses (24-135mm and
> 70-300mm), I am so broke that I can't even dream of a $800 lens!!

That's a steal, the comparable Nikon lens is $1,600