Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 3-chip really better than 1-chip cams?

Re: 3-chip really better than 1-chip cams?

Bigguy

It's 3 x CCDs - one each for Red, Green, Blue.
Much better colour fidelity and lower noise...

Guy

John Ortt wrote:
> How do three chip cams work? I assume it's not reffering to 3CCD
> chips but to processing chips......
>

> "terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Where there's a lot of light, like in the mid day sun or brightly lit
>> department stores 1 chips do give nice pictures. In dim situations
>> - like say a candle lit wedding the one chips will have a variety of
>> problems, lost detail, colours will turn to grey(or orange), shadows
>> will turn to black, auto-focus may become unpredictable. Attempting
>> to boost it will make it look like a webcam. A three chip will
>> continue to produce an image as good as the one in the mid-day sun.
>>

>>> Are 3-chip cams really better than 1-chip cams? Side by side with
>>> the naked eye, I din't notice a whopping difference. Why exactly
>>> are the 2 extra CCDs worth having?

terry

Where there's a lot of light, like in the mid day sun or brightly lit
department stores 1 chips do give nice pictures. In dim situations - like
say a candle lit wedding the one chips will have a variety of problems, lost
detail, colours will turn to grey(or orange), shadows will turn to black,
auto-focus may become unpredictable. Attempting to boost it will make it
look like a webcam. A three chip will continue to produce an image as good
as the one in the mid-day sun.

> Are 3-chip cams really better than 1-chip cams? Side by side with the
> naked eye, I din't notice a whopping difference. Why exactly are the 2
> extra CCDs worth having?

John Ortt

How do three chip cams work? I assume it's not reffering to 3CCD chips but
to processing chips......

"terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Where there's a lot of light, like in the mid day sun or brightly lit
> department stores 1 chips do give nice pictures. In dim situations - like
> say a candle lit wedding the one chips will have a variety of problems,

lost
> detail, colours will turn to grey(or orange), shadows will turn to black,
> auto-focus may become unpredictable. Attempting to boost it will make it
> look like a webcam. A three chip will continue to produce an image as

good
> as the one in the mid-day sun.
>

> > Are 3-chip cams really better than 1-chip cams? Side by side with the
> > naked eye, I din't notice a whopping difference. Why exactly are the 2
> > extra CCDs worth having?

John Ortt

How does that work, as they would all have to be on top of one another would
they not?

"Bigguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's 3 x CCDs - one each for Red, Green, Blue.
> Much better colour fidelity and lower noise...
>
> Guy
>
> John Ortt wrote:
> > How do three chip cams work? I assume it's not reffering to 3CCD
> > chips but to processing chips......
> >

> > "terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Where there's a lot of light, like in the mid day sun or brightly lit
> >> department stores 1 chips do give nice pictures. In dim situations
> >> - like say a candle lit wedding the one chips will have a variety of
> >> problems, lost detail, colours will turn to grey(or orange), shadows
> >> will turn to black, auto-focus may become unpredictable. Attempting
> >> to boost it will make it look like a webcam. A three chip will
> >> continue to produce an image as good as the one in the mid-day sun.

Bigguy

Incomig light is split into R,G,B by dichroic mirrors/prisms.... each
component colour falls on its own CCD...
Green CCD is offset half a pixel to enhance resolution.

This technique is used in higher end/broadcast camcorders, but not I think
in stills cameras due to space/cost considerations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge-coupled_device
http://www.baslerweb.com/popups/popup_en_768.php

Guy

John Ortt wrote:
> How does that work, as they would all have to be on top of one
> another would they not?
>
> "Bigguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It's 3 x CCDs - one each for Red, Green, Blue.
>> Much better colour fidelity and lower noise...
>>
>> Guy
>>
>> John Ortt wrote:
>>> How do three chip cams work? I assume it's not reffering to 3CCD
>>> chips but to processing chips......
>>>

>>> "terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

John Ortt wrote:

> How do three chip cams work? I assume it's not reffering to 3CCD chips but
> to processing chips......
>

> "terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>Where there's a lot of light, like in the mid day sun or brightly lit
>>department stores 1 chips do give nice pictures. In dim situations - like
>>say a candle lit wedding the one chips will have a variety of problems,

> lost
>
>>detail, colours will turn to grey(or orange), shadows will turn to black,
>>auto-focus may become unpredictable. Attempting to boost it will make it
>>look like a webcam. A three chip will continue to produce an image as

> good
>
>>as the one in the mid-day sun.
>>

>>>Are 3-chip cams really better than 1-chip cams? Side by side with the
>>>naked eye, I din't notice a whopping difference. Why exactly are the 2
>>>extra CCDs worth having?

No, it really is three CCD chips, each with a different color filter.
So the red, green, and blue (or whatever color system it is using)
values for each pixel are truly for that pixel. How much a difference
in final image depends on what you are going to do with it. With no
processing, the difference isn't that striking, because the eye has
limited acuity to chrominance, primarily getting its accuity from
luminance channel. However, if you are going to be doing a lot of color
processing of the image, that can have quite an effect.

Scharf-DCA

Bigguy wrote:
> Incomig light is split into R,G,B by dichroic mirrors/prisms.... each
> component colour falls on its own CCD...
> Green CCD is offset half a pixel to enhance resolution.
>
> This technique is used in higher end/broadcast camcorders, but not I

think
> in stills cameras due to space/cost considerations

It's used in high end consumer camcorders too. These are all relatively
low resolution (even the broadcast camcorders) compared to camera
sensors.

The technology doesn't scale well to higher resolutions, because it's
too hard to maintain precise alignment of the multiple sensors and the
prizm.

The original Foveon camera that used this technique (three sensors, see
"http://steves-digicams.com/diginews_jul99.html"), but once higher
resolution single sensors were introduced, it wasn't needed. Foveon
tried to stack three sensors on top of each other, and filter the
colors through the silicon, but it didn't work very well, and the color
ended up worse than the conventional Bayer sensor, and the noise levels
were high. You can still buy a camera with the Foveon sensor, the Sigma
SD10, but it isn't well regarded (see "http://sigmasd10.com"). Foveon
is going after the low end market now, such as camera phones, and other
applications where the physical size and cost of the sensor are more
important.

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Scharf-DCA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The original Foveon camera that used this technique (three sensors, see
>"http://steves-digicams.com/diginews_jul99.html"), but once higher
>resolution single sensors were introduced, it wasn't needed. Foveon
>tried to stack three sensors on top of each other, and filter the
>colors through the silicon, but it didn't work very well, and the color
>ended up worse than the conventional Bayer sensor, and the noise levels
>were high.

To be fair, the noise of the total signal is actually low (such as, if
you added the RAW channels back together for a greyscale image). It is
only when separating blues and greens that heavy noise surfaces,
chromatically.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>