Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Newby Question

Newby Question

Robbie Mann

Hi,
As a newby I am sure this is a dumb question but I will ask it anyway.

I have a Sony DSC P camera and I would like to take the best and biggest
photos possible. what's the best settings to do this. Should I look to get
the biggest image possible at highest resolution or would a smaller image
size at high resolution blow up on the PC to a better picture.

RAM

Harvey

"Robbie Mann" <robbieDOTmannATbaesystemsDOTcom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> As a newby I am sure this is a dumb question but I will ask it anyway.
>
> I have a Sony DSC P camera and I would like to take the best and biggest
> photos possible. what's the best settings to do this. Should I look to get
> the biggest image possible at highest resolution or would a smaller image
> size at high resolution blow up on the PC to a better picture.
>
> RAM

Well it depends on what model DSC P you have as to how big the print can be.
But you must set the camera to the highest number of pixels and quality.
The PC cannot make it better, only worse.

malfitano

I would disagree that a computer can only make it worse. When it comes
to size, number of pixels, etc, then yes. But often you can adjust the
brightness, contrast, and colors, on a computer, in ways that bring out
more detail, say detail that was hidden in shadowy areas or in
low-contrast areas.

Anyways... Yeah, most digital cameras have a menu where you can choose
a resolution (with choices like "5MP", "4MP", "3MP", "2MP", "VGA", or
like "2300x1700", "1600x1200", "640x480"), and a menu where you can
choose between compression methods ("Fine", "Sharp", "Normal"). Choose
the nicest-sounding one.

One easy way to tell that you did this is: The number of pictures that
fit in your card should be smaller than it would be with any other
combination of resolution and compression settings.
BNM
http://digitalcameraguide.blogspot.com