Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji Finepix's autosave?

Fuji Finepix's autosave?

Mexican George

My old camera was a Fuji A201 and it had a great Auto Save function that
helped my aged brain immensely.

I just bought a S5100 and it looks like they no longer have that feature.
Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate having
to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.

Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks

P.R.Brady

Mexican George wrote:
> My old camera was a Fuji A201 and it had a great Auto Save function that
> helped my aged brain immensely.
>
> I just bought a S5100 and it looks like they no longer have that feature.
> Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate having
> to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.
>
> Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks

George,
I'm possibly not alone in wondering: What is an autosave feature?
Phil

Ralph Mowery

"P.R.Brady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mexican George wrote:
> > My old camera was a Fuji A201 and it had a great Auto Save function that
> > helped my aged brain immensely.
> >
> > I just bought a S5100 and it looks like they no longer have that

feature.
> > Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate

having
> > to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.
> >
> > Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks
> >

> George,
> I'm possibly not alone in wondering: What is an autosave feature?
> Phil

The Fuji came with some software that lets you (in Windows) pull down the
File menue and with one click of the mouse it will save the pix from the cam
to the directory of your preset choice.

P.R.Brady

Ralph Mowery wrote:
> "P.R.Brady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Mexican George wrote:
>>
>>>My old camera was a Fuji A201 and it had a great Auto Save function that
>>>helped my aged brain immensely.
>>>
>>>I just bought a S5100 and it looks like they no longer have that

> feature.
>
>>>Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate

> having
>
>>>to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.
>>>
>>>Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks
>>>

>>George,
>> I'm possibly not alone in wondering: What is an autosave feature?
>>Phil
>>

> The Fuji came with some software that lets you (in Windows) pull down the
> File menue and with one click of the mouse it will save the pix from the cam
> to the directory of your preset choice.

I thought that the S5100/5500 did that, but that it chose filenames
which did not match the sequence numbers shown on the camera.

Actually, I am not very impressed by the Fuji software - no complaints
about the way it allows you to treat the camera as a disk storage
device, displays the images or manipulates them (even if a bit limited)
but I HATE the disk interface. Applications like Word, Excel offer you
the option of 'save' ie over-write original or 'save as' which saves to
a new file. The Fuji software chooses itself when to write (eg when
rotating an image just to view it) or only gives the choice of FOLDER
and not filename to save to. Stupid!

Okay, ranting over with. I feel better now, but I have to find an
alternative.

Phil

DaveC

The way the camera communicates to the computer was a criteria when deciding
on my camera (an Olympus).

If you have to use an application program or utility to download files from
the camera, it's just more steps to deal with (launch the app; set (or
change) the destination directory, etc.)

I prefer the "external disk drive" method. The Olympus cameras (and some
other brands, by the way) appear as an external disk drive when you connect
them to the computer. You then just select and drag the images to the folder
of your choice.

This is a function of the camera (I think it's referred to as "USB mass
storage"), and is a design decision made by the engineers (and marketing
managers) for whatever reason.

George, I understand how confusing "one more step" can be, sometimes. While
you can't change the way your current camera communicates with your computer,
you can choose your next camera with this in mind.

Enjoy,

DaveC
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

meow

I cant find this thread, however it looks as if someone was questioning that
the Fuji has to use picture software to extract pictures from a Fuji fine
pix. I have a E550 and it shows up as a disk drive.

"DaveC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) al.net...
> The way the camera communicates to the computer was a criteria when
> deciding
> on my camera (an Olympus).
>
> If you have to use an application program or utility to download files
> from
> the camera, it's just more steps to deal with (launch the app; set (or
> change) the destination directory, etc.)
>
> I prefer the "external disk drive" method. The Olympus cameras (and some
> other brands, by the way) appear as an external disk drive when you
> connect
> them to the computer. You then just select and drag the images to the
> folder
> of your choice.
>
> This is a function of the camera (I think it's referred to as "USB mass
> storage"), and is a design decision made by the engineers (and marketing
> managers) for whatever reason.
>
> George, I understand how confusing "one more step" can be, sometimes.
> While
> you can't change the way your current camera communicates with your
> computer,
> you can choose your next camera with this in mind.
>
> Enjoy,
> --
> Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
> ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.
>
> DaveC
> (E-Mail Removed)
> This is an invalid return address
> Please reply in the news group

DaveC

Here's the original post. He was looking for Fuji Auto Save function on his
new camera. It seems to not be there.

-=-=-=-

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:03:44 -0800, meow wrote
(in article <42391c83$(E-Mail Removed)>):

> I cant find this thread, however it looks as if someone was questioning that
> the Fuji has to use picture software to extract pictures from a Fuji fine
> pix. I have a E550 and it shows up as a disk drive.

-=-=-=-

> My old camera was a Fuji A201 and it had a great Auto Save function that
> helped my aged brain immensely.
>
> I just bought a S5100 and it looks like they no longer have that feature.
> Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate having
> to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.
>
> Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks

DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Drude

In article <(E-Mail Removed) et>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Here's the original post. He was looking for Fuji Auto Save function on his
> new camera. It seems to not be there.
>
> -=-=-=-
>
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:03:44 -0800, meow wrote
> (in article <42391c83$(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
> > I cant find this thread, however it looks as if someone was questioning that
> > the Fuji has to use picture software to extract pictures from a Fuji fine
> > pix. I have a E550 and it shows up as a disk drive.

> -=-=-=-
>
> > My old camera was a Fuji A201 and it had a great Auto Save function that
> > helped my aged brain immensely.
> >
> > I just bought a S5100 and it looks like they no longer have that feature.
> > Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate having
> > to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.
> >
> > Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks

I have an S5100. No, I don't believe it has an autosave feature... It
uses the Finepix Software by default, but YOU don't need to use it. You
can disable the Autoplay feature for that drive and simply click on the
drive letter (on my computer it comes up as Removable Drive G)under My
Computer, or, as I have done, put a shortcut to that drive on your
desktop. Or, alternately, if you WANT to use the software and it isn't
coming up by default (autoplay is extremely buugy in XP), plug the
camera in, right-click on the drive and turn ON the Autoplay feature.

Personally, the first way is easiest...just open up the drive and drag
the pictures to your desktop...takes about 20 seconds.

Hope this helped in some way...

-Drude

meow

yes that similar to what I do. I plug in the USB cable, turn on the camera,
the computer finds it as a drive. I open the folder with the pictures and
CUT the files and PAST them onto my desktop or wherever. That way there
removed from the flash card at the same time.

Maybe he doesn't use Win XP and 98 cant find the camera because of the
driver?