Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cheap digital camera recommendations in the UK

Cheap digital camera recommendations in the UK

mangled_us@yahoo.com

Hi,

I'm looking for a really cheap digital camera in the UK. I want the
camera to take pictures to put up on websites and for selling stuff on
eBay. For this reason I must have the facility to take good close-up
pictures of small items. I already have 2 film cameras and a camera in
my phone but this is basically hopeless for closeups. I intend to buy
an EOS 20D in the long term so I really don't want to spend more than
50 (unless I absolutely have to in order to obtain the close-up /
macro facility I need).

Any ideas gratefully received,

David

Charles Schuler

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Hi,

I'm looking for a really cheap digital camera in the UK. I want the
camera to take pictures to put up on websites and for selling stuff on
eBay. For this reason I must have the facility to take good close-up
pictures of small items. I already have 2 film cameras and a camera in
my phone but this is basically hopeless for closeups. I intend to buy
an EOS 20D in the long term so I really don't want to spend more than
50 (unless I absolutely have to in order to obtain the close-up /
macro facility I need).

Some of the compact Nikon's have very good macro capabilities.

Eatmorepies

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Hi,

I'm looking for a really cheap digital camera in the UK. I want the
camera to take pictures to put up on websites and for selling stuff on
eBay. For this reason I must have the facility to take good close-up
pictures of small items. I already have 2 film cameras and a camera in
my phone but this is basically hopeless for closeups. I intend to buy
an EOS 20D in the long term so I really don't want to spend more than
50 (unless I absolutely have to in order to obtain the close-up /
macro facility I need).

Any ideas gratefully received,

You could find a second hand 2Mpixel camera and crop the image if it doesn't
have the macro facilty you want. A 2Mpixel camera can probably be cropped
down to 20% and still give the quality you need for eBay. My wife has an
Olympus C220 that cost 100 new and is now probably worth 30 second hand -
I guess she has taken 100 pictures on it. (It's not for sale by the way).
There must be lots of them out there on eBay - it has decent macro facility
by the way.

John

Ron Hunter

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a really cheap digital camera in the UK. I want the
> camera to take pictures to put up on websites and for selling stuff on
> eBay. For this reason I must have the facility to take good close-up
> pictures of small items. I already have 2 film cameras and a camera in
> my phone but this is basically hopeless for closeups. I intend to buy
> an EOS 20D in the long term so I really don't want to spend more than
> 50 (unless I absolutely have to in order to obtain the close-up /
> macro facility I need).
>
> Any ideas gratefully received,
>
> David

Most cameras in the price range you mention are not equiped with
close-up features, let alone macro. Go ahead and wait for the 20D.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

mangled_us@yahoo.com

Um... there seems to be some confusion about what I'm looking for -
sorry about that. What I want is a really really really cheap digital
camera, available in the UK, that takes close ups.

Thanks,

David

Frank ess

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Um... there seems to be some confusion about what I'm looking for -
> sorry about that. What I want is a really really really cheap digital
> camera, available in the UK, that takes close ups.

What is the use for the photos? What is cheap? How close is close up?

I have a < 1MP Intel camera that takes very nice closeups, near macro:
fills a frame with an in-focus eyeglass lens. Les than thirty USD a
couple years ago, cheap as dirt now, I'd guess.

If 640 x 480 is enough for your purposes, look 'em up.