Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > polarizer filter

polarizer filter

NIW653

Just got a circular polarizer filter for use with my Canon G6 and was wondering
if there was any specific settings in which it would work best(like Full auto,
program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full manual in order to defeat the
cameras tendency to compensate for the filter?I hope that makes sense.

imbsysop

"NIW653" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got a circular polarizer filter for use with my Canon G6 and was
> wondering
> if there was any specific settings in which it would work best(like Full
> auto,
> program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full manual in order to defeat
> the
> cameras tendency to compensate for the filter?I hope that makes sense.

a polarizer acts as a neutral density filter aka it will cost you up to 2 F
stops in light
the camera settings will be of little importance as it will work in all
modes providing one uses the correct way of working ..

find info at
http://dpfwiw.com/polarizer.htm

amongst lots of others ..

HTH

Roland Karlsson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (NIW653) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Just got a circular polarizer filter for use with my Canon G6 and was
> wondering if there was any specific settings in which it would work
> best(like Full auto, program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full
> manual in order to defeat the cameras tendency to compensate for the
> filter?I hope that makes sense.

Just use it as you are used to do. It will work just fine.
Maybe, maybe, maybe you shall underexpose just slightly
to enhance the colors. Try it - it might not be neccessary.

/Roland

Sheldon

I would let the camera compensate for the filter. I've used a polarizer on
a cheap P and S and it worked just fine, exposures were perfect. I think
I'm going to get one for my new DSLR as the results can be quite dramatic.

"NIW653" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got a circular polarizer filter for use with my Canon G6 and was
> wondering
> if there was any specific settings in which it would work best(like Full
> auto,
> program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full manual in order to defeat
> the
> cameras tendency to compensate for the filter?I hope that makes sense.

Ken Tough

NIW653 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just got a circular polarizer filter for use with my Canon G6 and was wondering
>if there was any specific settings in which it would work best(like Full auto,
>program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full manual in order to defeat the
>cameras tendency to compensate for the filter?I hope that makes sense.

You do know to rotate the filter, right?

--
Ken Tough

Owamanga

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:43:35 +0200, Ken Tough <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>NIW653 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Just got a circular polarizer filter for use with my Canon G6 and was wondering
>>if there was any specific settings in which it would work best(like Full auto,
>>program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full manual in order to defeat the
>>cameras tendency to compensate for the filter?I hope that makes sense.

>You do know to rotate the filter, right?

...and point it at the sky?

(joke).

--
Owamanga!

BandHPhoto

<a polarizer acts as a neutral density filter>

Almost every filter, except UV and haze, absorb some visible light and exposure
adjustments are therefore necessary. It would be a shame if anyone read this
and presumed that pol filters and ND filters were for the same purpose and
could be used interchangeably.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
(E-Mail Removed)

imbsysop

On 01 Feb 2005 21:01:44 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (BandHPhoto) wrote:

><a polarizer acts as a neutral density filter>
>
>Almost every filter, except UV and haze, absorb some visible light and exposure
>adjustments are therefore necessary. It would be a shame if anyone read this
>and presumed that pol filters and ND filters were for the same purpose and
>could be used interchangeably.

".. acting as ..." != identical ..

besides anyone into photography not understanding the difference
between ND & Pol. should not be using them let alone talk about them