Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to handle my Nimh rechargeable batteries?

How to handle my Nimh rechargeable batteries?

carty1_1

When my digital camera is not in use, should I take out the

batteries?

I have an extra set of rechargeable batteries, how

should I take care of this?

Should I completely discharge my batteries before I recharge them? What
are its pros and cons?

Please share any good resource that speaks about rechargeable nimh
batteries.

Thanks.

Freedom55

carty1_1 wrote:
> When my digital camera is not in use, should I take out the
>
> batteries?
>
> I have an extra set of rechargeable batteries, how
>
> should I take care of this?
>
> Should I completely discharge my batteries before I recharge them? What
> are its pros and cons?
>
> Please share any good resource that speaks about rechargeable nimh
> batteries.
>
> Thanks.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/techfacts.htm

Enjoy!

Ron

Harvey

"carty1_1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41f6cb69$0$309$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When my digital camera is not in use, should I take out the
>
> batteries?
>
> I have an extra set of rechargeable batteries, how
>
> should I take care of this?
>
> Should I completely discharge my batteries before I recharge them? What
> are its pros and cons?
>
> Please share any good resource that speaks about rechargeable nimh
> batteries.
>
> Thanks.

If you are not going to use them for six months or more then take them out.
You do not need to discharge before recharge. The Ni-MH will lose 1% per
day so if not used for a month or so it is a good idea to recharge them
before use so as to get enough shots.

Ron Hunter

Harvey wrote:
> "carty1_1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41f6cb69$0$309$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>When my digital camera is not in use, should I take out the
>>
>>batteries?
>>
>>I have an extra set of rechargeable batteries, how
>>
>>should I take care of this?
>>
>>Should I completely discharge my batteries before I recharge them? What
>>are its pros and cons?
>>
>>Please share any good resource that speaks about rechargeable nimh
>>batteries.
>>
>>Thanks.

> If you are not going to use them for six months or more then take them out.
> You do not need to discharge before recharge. The Ni-MH will lose 1% per
> day so if not used for a month or so it is a good idea to recharge them
> before use so as to get enough shots.

I don't remove the batteries from my camera, but then I can't imagine
not using it for 6 months. I do keep it in its dock so that it always
charged, but an earlier camera without a dock, I just charged the
batteries before a planned photo session, and have spare sets, and a
lithium battery as backup.
If your camera can use a disposable lithium battery, they make the
perfect battery for your use. Even though they cost almost $10 each,
they will make about 300 photos per battery (assuming you use a camera
with 2 AA batteries), and $.03 per shot isn't bad for the convenience.
The shelf life of a lithium battery is about 10 years, so they are
always ready to go.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)