Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Abe's of Maine

Abe's of Maine

Bob Williams

I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
big city stores?
Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
Bob Williams

cal

You might want to look at www.newegg.com and www.keh.com

I have bought two cameras from newegg and recently a camera and three
lenses from keh.

I buy computer equipment from newegg all the time and have never had a
less than perfect experience. Only bought from keh once, but also
perfect.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:38:41 -0800, Bob Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
>He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
>max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
>Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
>I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
>their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
>Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
>time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
>The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
>Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
>trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
>type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
>big city stores?
>Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
>Bob Williams

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:38:41 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Bob Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
>He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
>max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
>Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
>I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
>their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.

----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Don B

Bob Williams wrote:
> I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
> He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
> max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
> Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
> I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
> their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
> Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
> time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
> The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
> Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
> trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
> type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
> big city stores?
> Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
> Bob Williams

I have been warned away from them. The only two NY stores I will deal
with are B&H and Adorama.

nck

Second that on B&H. I have dealt with them most of my life, starting with
their days as a small storefront in the 'teens streets around Union Square.
I have ordered from them ever since I left NYC in '89 and have never had one
problem.

On 1/25/05 5:16 AM, in article gWpJd.6623$(E-Mail Removed), "Don B"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bob Williams wrote:
>> I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
>> He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
>> max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
>> Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
>> I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
>> their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
>> Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
>> time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
>> The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
>> Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
>> trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
>> type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
>> big city stores?
>> Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
>> Bob Williams
>>

> I have been warned away from them. The only two NY stores I will deal
> with are B&H and Adorama.

RadioActiveDeals

I am the owner of RadioActiveDeals.com - We are new to the online
business, we have only been online for a little over 1 year however I
have a retail store that has been open for almsot 24 years. I am
currently campaigning with BizRate and our ratings are well. We are
Customer Certified an have an average rating of 8.1 out of 10. My
prices are great and the service is wonderful. I have experienced
photographers on staff who are ready to answer any questions you may
have. Give us a shot and I'm sure you will be happy. Check out our
ratings @

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--72367.html
Call us at our toll free number 1-866-526-8080.

Thanks!

I.Reject.Spam@my.isp

Archived from Don B <(E-Mail Removed)> on Tue, 25 Jan 2005 05:16:15
-0600:

>Bob Williams wrote:
>> I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
>> He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
>> max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
>> Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
>> I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
>> their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
>> Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
>> time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
>> The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
>> Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
>> trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
>> type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
>> big city stores?
>> Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
>> Bob Williams
>>

>I have been warned away from them. The only two NY stores I will deal
>with are B&H and Adorama.

Ditto on Adorama. Their customer service is second to none.

vm

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"RadioActiveDeals" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> however I
> have a retail store that has been open for almsot 24 years.

What is it's name?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

SamSez

"Bob Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
> He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
> max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
> Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
> I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
> their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
> Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
> time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
> The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
> Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
> trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
> type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
> big city stores?
> Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
> Bob Williams

www.resellerratings.com

compare the rating against, say B&H.

and then read the feedback to know what you might expect...

chris

Bob Williams wrote:
> I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
> He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
> max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
> Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
> I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
> their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
> Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
> time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
> The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
> Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
> trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
> type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
> big city stores?
> Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
> Bob Williams

Try BuyDig if you want low price.