Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > photo hosting sites

photo hosting sites

Chet McKnight

Does a site exist that has done comparisons on the various photo hosting
companies? I've read some old threads about pbase, 1and1, smugmug, etc.
and wished there was some sort of "epinions" kind of site that would
provide some organized list of user reviews ...

Rock on,
Big Chet

chamb1@gmail.com

Hi Chet...

This is an unabashed plug, but I ran into the same problem...finding a
place on the web to show my photos to friends and family that I was
happy with. Then I started using a program called Gallery. It is
wonderful. Since I have been using it for about 3 years now, many
people have wanted me to show them how to do it also, but for a person
who just wants to put up a few pictures once in a while, it is a bit
complicated and cumbersome to get a dedicated server running and all of
the other things that go along with that. So I just recently decided
to start a small .com to do just that...to get people's pictures on the
web for a very reasonable price. Once your pictures are on the site,
all of your friends and family can see them and they never have to
register for anything, or give any information, and will not have to
deal with any advertising (banner ads, pop-ups, etc.). If you are
interested, please check out my website at www.see-my-pictures.com
It is brand new, so unfortunately, even if an "epinions-style" rating
of photo hosting sites existed (which it might! my site would not be
listed on it...On the site, there is a link to a sample photo album
that will give you a feel for what your album will look like should you
choose to use my service.
Good luck with everything!

Jim

www.see-my-pictures.com

Tippi

Try http://onlineservices.tucows.com/photos_default.html - lists many
free sites as well as paid ones.

Out of date as it lists photoisland.com which I used to use but it's
now gone.

Bruce Lewis

Chet McKnight <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Does a site exist that has done comparisons on the various photo
> hosting companies? I've read some old threads about pbase, 1and1,
> smugmug, etc. and wished there was some sort of "epinions" kind of
> site that would provide some organized list of user reviews ...
>
> Rock on,
> Big Chet

You're probably best off describing in this newsgroup what you're
looking for in a photo hosting site. People can share their experiences
based on what's important to you.

There's a comparison site, but it doesn't have organized user reviews,
and I'm not sure how up-to-date it's kept. The maintainer thanked me
for the pointer to my own site on Dec 1, but I still can't find my site
through his search feature:

http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/albums.html

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Let your digital photos organize themselves.