Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > faked?

faked?

hame1957@bluemail.ch

the 2nd picture on http://tinyurl.com/6cbsc looks strange.
how can you make such pictures?
picture: http://tinyurl.com/6jlj4

Harvey

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> the 2nd picture on http://tinyurl.com/6cbsc looks strange.
> how can you make such pictures?
> picture: http://tinyurl.com/6jlj4

Nice shots. Nothing wrong to me.

Dr. Georg N.Nyman

> the 2nd picture on http://tinyurl.com/6cbsc looks strange.
> how can you make such pictures?
> picture: http://tinyurl.com/6jlj4

Hi,
I did not read the already written replies but as I have been called as
expert witness in many court cases, my opinion is as well that this
second photo is faked - the shadows are in a different direction
compared to the position of the sun...
rgds George

PS: Now I shall read the replies...

Dr. Georg N.Nyman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> the 2nd picture on http://tinyurl.com/6cbsc looks strange.
> how can you make such pictures?
> picture: http://tinyurl.com/6jlj4

Again me, to be very precise - the sun is behind the right person as one
can see on the photo. The left person has got the sun on the cheek and
the shadow is directed towards the left side - for that person, there
must have been another sun which was positioned much more on the right
side so that his cheek is in sunlight and the shadows towards the left.
Photoshop can do almost everything...
rgds George

wasleys@btinternet.com

Looks OK to me too. Is the 'strangeness' you see connected with the
relatively light shadow on the faces? If so that may be because of
light being reflected off the snow (assuming no artificial reflection
or flash).

Andrew Koenig

"Dr. Georg N.Nyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Again me, to be very precise - the sun is behind the right person as one
> can see on the photo. The left person has got the sun on the cheek and the
> shadow is directed towards the left side - for that person, there must
> have been another sun which was positioned much more on the right side so
> that his cheek is in sunlight and the shadows towards the left.

I don't think so. I think a more likely explanation is that the picture was
taken with an extreme wide-angle lens, perhaps even a fisheye lens (because
no identifiable objects are in the parts of the image that would show the
most distortion), so although the sun appears to be almost in front of the
photographer, it is really off to the side because of the extreme wide-angle
coverage.

Owamanga

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:25:09 GMT, "Andrew Koenig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dr. Georg N.Nyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Again me, to be very precise - the sun is behind the right person as one
>> can see on the photo. The left person has got the sun on the cheek and the
>> shadow is directed towards the left side - for that person, there must
>> have been another sun which was positioned much more on the right side so
>> that his cheek is in sunlight and the shadows towards the left.

>I don't think so. I think a more likely explanation is that the picture was
>taken with an extreme wide-angle lens, perhaps even a fisheye lens (because
>no identifiable objects are in the parts of the image that would show the
>most distortion), so although the sun appears to be almost in front of the
>photographer, it is really off to the side because of the extreme wide-angle
>coverage.

Definitely. This is not a fake. There is no point to faking it. A
fisheye lens can easily include the sun in the frame when it's almost
90 degrees to the direction that the camera is facing.

For the sake of argument lets imagine this is an off-center crop from
a 180degree fish-eye (I don't think it's quite that wide, but anyway),
the camera is looking East, the sun is dead South and on the left edge
of the frame we are seeing almost due North. All shadows are pointing
North, and the Southern sides of the faces of both men are lit by the
sun.

Characteristic darkening of the image in the middle (the sky in
particular) fits this lens type too.

The man on his knees is most likely straight, just being bent by the
fish-eye.

--
Owamanga!

Alan Browne

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> the 2nd picture on http://tinyurl.com/6cbsc looks strange.
> how can you make such pictures?
> picture: http://tinyurl.com/6jlj4

Wide angle lenses like a 20mm cover over 90 horizontally (landscape
orientation). The camera is quite close to the skiers.

Notice the rim lighting of the guy on the right ... the cheek lit on the guy on
the left.

Look at the shaddow detail of some of the small lumps of snow on the far left,
middle of the frame ... they follow the shaddow of the fellow on the left...

Finally ... why would anyone want to fake anything in this shot?

Something else is bizzare ... the blue is darker in the middle than at the left
and right of the frame ... a contrast issue with the lens, perhaps.

Mike Hunter

"Owamanga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:25:09 GMT, "Andrew Koenig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Dr. Georg N.Nyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Again me, to be very precise - the sun is behind the right person as one
>>> can see on the photo. The left person has got the sun on the cheek and
>>> the
>>> shadow is directed towards the left side - for that person, there must
>>> have been another sun which was positioned much more on the right side
>>> so
>>> that his cheek is in sunlight and the shadows towards the left.

>>I don't think so. I think a more likely explanation is that the picture
>>was
>>taken with an extreme wide-angle lens, perhaps even a fisheye lens
>>(because
>>no identifiable objects are in the parts of the image that would show the
>>most distortion), so although the sun appears to be almost in front of the
>>photographer, it is really off to the side because of the extreme
>>wide-angle
>>coverage.

> Definitely. This is not a fake. There is no point to faking it. A
> fisheye lens can easily include the sun in the frame when it's almost
> 90 degrees to the direction that the camera is facing.
>
> For the sake of argument lets imagine this is an off-center crop from
> a 180degree fish-eye (I don't think it's quite that wide, but anyway),
> the camera is looking East, the sun is dead South and on the left edge
> of the frame we are seeing almost due North. All shadows are pointing
> North, and the Southern sides of the faces of both men are lit by the
> sun.
>
> Characteristic darkening of the image in the middle (the sky in
> particular) fits this lens type too.
>
> The man on his knees is most likely straight, just being bent by the
> fish-eye.
>
> --
> Owamanga!

Could it be that the "sun" is in fact a reflection off something - a cable
car perhaps?
The "sun" is completely lacking yellow : I know its burnt out but I would
have expected some yellowness.
I'm sceptical about the fisheye lens hypothesis because if you ignore the
"sun", then everything else looks OK.

Mike

Roland Karlsson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1106593004.441101.138340
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> the 2nd picture on http://tinyurl.com/6cbsc looks strange.
> how can you make such pictures?
> picture: http://tinyurl.com/6jlj4

First - I removed the cross posting.

Second - yes both first and second picture are faked, or at least
the sun is. It is even more obvious in the first picture. The sun is
nearly straight forward and the shadows are straigth to the right.
That is impossible even with a wider wide angle than was used.

Third - I don't really like tinyurl. It is a high chance that
you end up looking at something obscene when you follow a totally
unknown url.

/Roland