Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Preview vs final photo

Preview vs final photo

madz

Hello,

Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.

What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?

The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
for my camera) in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.

Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
pictures with same quality as on preview?

The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
after? How is it possible?

Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.

Regards
madz

Toomas

Because resolution of LCD in camera is much
lower than final picture. LCD has only 114 000
pixels when Your image has 3.9 million

Toomas

"madz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ct2kks$1ke4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
> sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
> down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
> than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
>
> What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
> shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?
>
> The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
> for my camera) in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.
>
> Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
> pictures with same quality as on preview?
>
> The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
> after? How is it possible?
>
> Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.
>
> Regards
> madz

David J Taylor

madz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
> sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the
> button down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much
> different than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.

Could "fuzzy" be from camera-shake, considering the low shutter speed you
mentioned?

David

rafe bustin

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:01:01 +0200, madz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
>sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
>down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
>than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
>
>What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
>shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?
>
>The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
>for my camera) in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.
>
>Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
>pictures with same quality as on preview?
>
>The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
>after? How is it possible?
>
>Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.

It's generally impossible to judge
proper focus from the small LCD screen
on most digicams (and that includes
dSLRs as well.)

As for color and exposure, learn to use
the histogram tool, and shoot in RAW mode.
If the capture meets certain minimal
criteria, you should be able to fix up
the image in Photoshop afterwards.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Jim Townsend

madz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
> sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
> down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
> than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
>
> What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
> shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?

I wouldn't put much faith in the LCD display.. They are VERY low
resolution devices. How do these images look on your computer's monitor ?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words

Could you post an image somewhere on the net and supply a link
to it ? (With full EXIF information). It would be much more useful
in determining what could be wrong.

> The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
> for my camera) ? in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.
>
> Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
> pictures with same quality as on preview?
>
> The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
> after? How is it possible?
>
> Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.
>
> Regards
> madz

Bob Williams

madz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
> sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
> down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
> than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
>
> What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
> shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?
>
> The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
> for my camera) in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.
>
> Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
> pictures with same quality as on preview?
>
> The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
> after? How is it possible?
>
> Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.
>
> Regards
> madz

Doubtless, you are experiencing camera shake at the long exposure times.
Prove it to yourself by putting the camera on a tripod and using the
self timer to trip the shutter.
Bob Williams

madz

Toomas wrote:
> Because resolution of LCD in camera is much
> lower than final picture. LCD has only 114 000
> pixels when Your image has 3.9 million
>
> Toomas

Actually I mean, in both cases I look the picture on LCD of my camera.
Before shot, picture is OK, after NG.

Is it possible, that preview uses only a fraction of all pixels? I mean,
if the sensor resolution is 4 Mp, camera uses only 114 Kp for preview?

Regards
madz

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:32:49 +0200, in rec.photo.digital madz <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Toomas wrote:
>> Because resolution of LCD in camera is much
>> lower than final picture. LCD has only 114 000
>> pixels when Your image has 3.9 million
>>
>> Toomas

>Actually I mean, in both cases I look the picture on LCD of my camera.
>Before shot, picture is OK, after NG.

I don't believe what you are seeing is the exact same exposure info before
the shot vs. after. The brightness of the image is being boosted by longer
exposure, greater sensitivity or boosted brightness after the fact, so you
can se the image before you shoot. The fact the image is too dark is
telling you the aperture is wide enough and/or the shutter speed isn't long
enough for the conditions you are trying to shoot. Given this, I suspect
your fuzzy images are due to motion blur caused by the all ready slow
shutter speeds. What are the aperture and shutter speeds of the images?
What is the max aperture of the camera?
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Ron Hunter

madz wrote:
> Toomas wrote:
>
>> Because resolution of LCD in camera is much lower than final picture.
>> LCD has only 114 000
>> pixels when Your image has 3.9 million
>>
>> Toomas

> Actually I mean, in both cases I look the picture on LCD of my camera.
> Before shot, picture is OK, after NG.
>
> Is it possible, that preview uses only a fraction of all pixels? I mean,
> if the sensor resolution is 4 Mp, camera uses only 114 Kp for preview?
>
> Regards
> madz

LCDs aren't high res. Most of them are well under 1mp.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

madz

Yes, it is true that shutter speed is too low in these conditions (>1/5
at ISO 100 and f/2.8 (max)). It is too hard to have good results with
the settings in low light, that part I understand.

If camera is using greater sensitivity etc for preview, then why it is
not using these settings for taking real pictures in fully automatic mode?

Perhaps it uses different approach for preview (webcam style) and for
taking pictures?

Regards
madz