Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > FujiFilm Finepix

FujiFilm Finepix

Steven Hook

Hey,
Got a FujiFilm FinePix S3500, when chooseing resolutions there are two
options for taking at 4 Megapixels, there's a "4M F" and a "4M N" I can't
see and diference in quality of the resulting pic, but the filesizes are
diferent, the "4M F" files are bigger, the camera manual and website don't
explain the diference between these two options, could u guys help me out?
Steven.

AndyK

4M F will be "4 megapixel, Fine"
4M N will probably be "4 megapixel, Normal"

The fine/normal refers to the amount of JPEG compression used, hence the
'fine' file uses lower compression and so is bigger in size. The 'normal'
will use higher compression leading to a smaller file size. It will probably
be difficult to see the difference in quality with an untrained eye - look
for 'jpeg artifacts' (do a google search!) which normally occur along harsh
edges (the edge of a black box on white background for example).

HTH,
AndyK

"Steven Hook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ct2e2t$be3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey,
> Got a FujiFilm FinePix S3500, when chooseing resolutions there are two
> options for taking at 4 Megapixels, there's a "4M F" and a "4M N" I can't
> see and diference in quality of the resulting pic, but the filesizes are
> diferent, the "4M F" files are bigger, the camera manual and website don't
> explain the diference between these two options, could u guys help me out?
> Steven.

Steven Hook

"AndyK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ct2jmi$rj4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 4M F will be "4 megapixel, Fine"
> 4M N will probably be "4 megapixel, Normal"
>
> The fine/normal refers to the amount of JPEG compression used, hence the
> 'fine' file uses lower compression and so is bigger in size. The 'normal'
> will use higher compression leading to a smaller file size. It will

probably
> be difficult to see the difference in quality with an untrained eye - look
> for 'jpeg artifacts' (do a google search!) which normally occur along

harsh
> edges (the edge of a black box on white background for example).
>
> HTH,
> AndyK

Thanks,
I thought it might be a "normal" "fine" thing, but I couldn't see any diff
in the pix, I'll take some more test shots and see, it's probably fine to
leave it on "N" almost always then and just choose "F" if I think there'll
be a problem and if I really want a big print of the pic.
Steven

Harvey

"Steven Hook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ct2psm$47m$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "AndyK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ct2jmi$rj4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > 4M F will be "4 megapixel, Fine"
> > 4M N will probably be "4 megapixel, Normal"
> >
> > The fine/normal refers to the amount of JPEG compression used, hence the
> > 'fine' file uses lower compression and so is bigger in size. The

'normal'
> > will use higher compression leading to a smaller file size. It will

> probably
> > be difficult to see the difference in quality with an untrained eye -

look
> > for 'jpeg artifacts' (do a google search!) which normally occur along

> harsh
> > edges (the edge of a black box on white background for example).
> >
> > HTH,
> > AndyK

> Thanks,
> I thought it might be a "normal" "fine" thing, but I couldn't see any diff
> in the pix, I'll take some more test shots and see, it's probably fine to
> leave it on "N" almost always then and just choose "F" if I think there'll
> be a problem and if I really want a big print of the pic.
> Steven

Print at 11 by 17 and you will see the difference.

Steven Hook

Hey,
another 2 questions,
1. the pictures are bigger than the LCD display, when I take a pic and
download it, there's more on the pic than I could see on the LCD when I took
it, is this normal, it's a pain when I try leave stuf fout of a photo.
2. is it a good idea to get a 55mm polaroid filter to fit on the front of
the adaptor ring, thought it might give nicer picks an dalso keep dust off
the lense.
Steven