Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scratch removal with scanned prints.

Scratch removal with scanned prints.

usenet@imagenoir.com

I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?

David J. Littleboy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
> a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
> are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
> Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?

There's a free Photoshop plugin on the Kodak site from the folks who did
digital ICE. Try searching for "dust", "scratch", and/or "removal".

I forget the name of it, or even if it's still there. It's for film, and so
may not help much, but worth trying at least.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Ken Weitzel

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
>>a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
>>are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
>>Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?

> There's a free Photoshop plugin on the Kodak site from the folks who did
> digital ICE. Try searching for "dust", "scratch", and/or "removal".
>
> I forget the name of it, or even if it's still there. It's for film, and so
> may not help much, but worth trying at least.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Hi David...

Kodak? Didn't know they had one; are you sure you weren't
thinking of the Polaroid one?

Ken

David J. Littleboy

"Ken Weitzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> David J. Littleboy wrote:
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
> >>a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
> >>are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
> >>Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?

> > There's a free Photoshop plugin on the Kodak site from the folks who did
> > digital ICE. Try searching for "dust", "scratch", and/or "removal".
> >
> > I forget the name of it, or even if it's still there. It's for film, and

so
> > may not help much, but worth trying at least.
> >
> > David J. Littleboy
> > Tokyo, Japan
> >

> Hi David...
>
> Kodak? Didn't know they had one; are you sure you weren't
> thinking of the Polaroid one?

Oops. I think you're right. The Polaroid scanners didn't have ICE, so they
wrote the plugin. Kodak bought out Applied Science Fiction, who make the
real thing, so there's no need for them to do a plugin.

Do I have it right now???

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

RSD99

http://www.polaroid.com/service/soft...r/poladsr.html

Works fairly well.

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

> I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
> a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
> are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
> Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?

I find the clone tool, found in most good photo editors, to be the best
tool for scratch removal.

Olin K. McDaniel

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:27:24 -0600, Don Stauffer in Minneapolis
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
>> a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
>> are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
>> Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?
>>

>I find the clone tool, found in most good photo editors, to be the best
>tool for scratch removal.

I heartily agree with Don. You asked for tips on using Photoshop 8,
and since I use the clone tool regularly in Photoshop 7, I feel it
should work in 8 also.

Olin McDaniel

usenet@imagenoir.com

Kibo informs me that "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

[scratch filtering problem]
>There's a free Photoshop plugin on the Kodak site from the folks who did
>digital ICE. Try searching for "dust", "scratch", and/or "removal".

Thanks David, (& the others who responded).

With a little Googling, I found the freebie Polaroid Scratch/Dust
plug-in. It's a long way from perfect, but it looks like it'll take a
lot of the grunt-work out of the job.

Ron Hunter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Kibo informs me that "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:
>
> [scratch filtering problem]
>
>>There's a free Photoshop plugin on the Kodak site from the folks who did
>>digital ICE. Try searching for "dust", "scratch", and/or "removal".

> Thanks David, (& the others who responded).
>
> With a little Googling, I found the freebie Polaroid Scratch/Dust
> plug-in. It's a long way from perfect, but it looks like it'll take a
> lot of the grunt-work out of the job.

The Photoshop Elements 3 product also has a pertty good dust an speckle
remover, and a 'healing brush' that is like magic for patching up old
photos.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)