Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon G5 & 1 GB Flash cards.

Canon G5 & 1 GB Flash cards.

TechDude

Hi,
Can anyone confirm if the G5 model will work without any issues on any make
of Compact Flash cards (1gb size) - as several cards say "make sure your
camera supports this size card"
Also, is it worth getting a "High Speed" card - or is the camera the
limiting factor for the read/write speed?

Thank you for any guidance.

TD

Tony Hwang

TechDude wrote:
> Hi,
> Can anyone confirm if the G5 model will work without any issues on any make
> of Compact Flash cards (1gb size) - as several cards say "make sure your
> camera supports this size card"
> Also, is it worth getting a "High Speed" card - or is the camera the
> limiting factor for the read/write speed?
>
> Thank you for any guidance.
>
> TD

Hi,
I know it works with G1, so why not?
Tony

Dave Martindale

"TechDude" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Can anyone confirm if the G5 model will work without any issues on any make
>of Compact Flash cards (1gb size) - as several cards say "make sure your
>camera supports this size card"

Canon cameras up to the G2, I think, were limited to 2 GB cards by the
FAT16 filesystem. Starting with the G3 (again I think) there was
support for FAT32 which will handle larger cards. But I haven't heard
of any CF-using camera that couldn't handle a 1 GB card.

Dave

David J Taylor

TechDude wrote:
> Hi,

[]
> Also, is it worth getting a "High Speed" card - or is the camera the
> limiting factor for the read/write speed?

A faster card will be noticeably faster when used for downloading in a USB
2.0 reader, even if your current camera doesn't use the higher speed. I
recommend SanDisk Ultra II (9/10 MB/s write/read).

David