Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > overexposed in macro

overexposed in macro

Jason K. Lambrou

I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
macro flash? Thanks

Joseph Meehan

Jason K. Lambrou wrote:
> I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
> I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
> flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
> Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
> macro flash? Thanks

There are all kinds of possible things you may do. I don't know the
flash well, but is it working in an auto mode? Does it have a manual mode.
If auto is it working through the camera? Have you tried the same flash
with another lens at more normal distances?

Have you tried manual exposure with adjustments to see if you manually
adjust the exposure?

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Charles

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:58:30 GMT, "Jason K. Lambrou"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
>I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
>flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
>Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
>macro flash? Thanks

Try an MD filter on the lens.

My Nikon 990 overexposed in macro. I guessed that it was not a
problem of not sensing the light properly, but a problem of turning
the flash off fast enough when it had enough.

The ND seemed to work okay, but I was using the built in flash and the
flash being off to the side of the lens gave uneven illumination.

An other thing to try, put something over the flash to obscure part of
the light.
--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

Deep Reset

"Jason K. Lambrou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qtSId.72087$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
> I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
> flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
> Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
> macro flash? Thanks

Stop down?
ND?

Stacey

Jason K. Lambrou wrote:

> I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
> I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
> flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.

There is no way to adjust the flash output in the camera menus?

--

Stacey

paul

Macro seems to be much more sensitive to over/under exposure; everything
is magnified. Do you have an exposure compensation setting? Just try
turning it down a notch when using this technique though as I said it
may quickly become underexposed.

Jason K. Lambrou wrote:

> I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
> I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
> flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
> Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
> macro flash? Thanks

Tony

How about cutting down the exposure by stopping down the lens? Use the
exposure compensation dial, Luke!

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Jason K. Lambrou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qtSId.72087$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
> I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
> flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
> Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
> macro flash? Thanks

Jason K. Lambrou

Tony wrote:
> How about cutting down the exposure by stopping down the lens? Use the
> exposure compensation dial, Luke!

Thanks guys for answering my post,the only thing I have not tried is an
ND,the lens stops down to f8 that is it.Also you cannot change the lens
on this camera.This flash is automatic,I guess the electronics of this
camera can't communicate with the flash

Mike Engles

Jason K. Lambrou wrote:

> I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
> I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
> flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
> Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
> macro flash? Thanks

Hello
The problem with auto flash and macro is that the sensor is trying to
expose also for the background. It's field is too wide.

The solution is to either apply exposure compensation of about -1and 1/3
stops or to work in manual and calibrate the system by doing test
exposures at different apertures.

This is what I did with my OM4 macro system. Exposure compensation
worked on flash as well as ambient light.

Mike Engles

Jason K. Lambrou

Mike Engles wrote:
> Jason K. Lambrou wrote:
>
>>I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
>>I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
>>flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
>>Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
>>macro flash? Thanks

> Hello
> The problem with auto flash and macro is that the sensor is trying to
> expose also for the background. It's field is too wide.
>
> The solution is to either apply exposure compensation of about -1and 1/3
> stops or to work in manual and calibrate the system by doing test
> exposures at different apertures.
>
> This is what I did with my OM4 macro system. Exposure compensation
> worked on flash as well as ambient light.
>
> Mike Engles

Thanks