Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Warning - Use of Reduced Size MMC/SD

Warning - Use of Reduced Size MMC/SD

David Wright

Reduced size MMC/SD memory cards are being sold as "compatible with all
cameras".

When I purchased one (RSMMC) and used it in my Minolta X21 I had a
problem as the card proved very difficult to remove and at one point I
began to think I might have to live with it permanently in place as
128Mb of internal memory.

The cause was the covering flap to the memory slot which opens inwards
as you insert the card and then under spring pressure acts as a ratchet
to engage with the very small (must be measured in thousandth's of an
inch) discontinuity between the plastic card and metal adapter
preventing withdrawal.

The cure is to insert something thin and flexible into the card slot
between the card and the flap - I used the end of a 35mm film retrieval
tool but anything thin and stiff would probably do the job - holding the
flap away from the card whilst pulling it free.

This problem could affect any camera with a slot flap hinging inward
particularly if the edge of the door is not rounded.

--
David Wright

David J Taylor

David Wright wrote:
> Reduced size MMC/SD memory cards are being sold as "compatible with
> all cameras".

Thanks for the warning!

For information - the thinner Kingmax Platinum SD cards (which have a fast
read/write speed) are compatible with the Panasonic FZ20 - in case anyone
is making a list....

Cheers,
David

Ken

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Wright wrote:
> > Reduced size MMC/SD memory cards are being sold as "compatible with
> > all cameras".

> Thanks for the warning!
>
> For information - the thinner Kingmax Platinum SD cards (which have a fast
> read/write speed) are compatible with the Panasonic FZ20 - in case anyone
> is making a list....

Not making a list but had wondered about that. Thanks David.

Ron Hunter

David Wright wrote:
> Reduced size MMC/SD memory cards are being sold as "compatible with all
> cameras".
>
> When I purchased one (RSMMC) and used it in my Minolta X21 I had a
> problem as the card proved very difficult to remove and at one point I
> began to think I might have to live with it permanently in place as
> 128Mb of internal memory.
>
> The cause was the covering flap to the memory slot which opens inwards
> as you insert the card and then under spring pressure acts as a ratchet
> to engage with the very small (must be measured in thousandth's of an
> inch) discontinuity between the plastic card and metal adapter
> preventing withdrawal.
>
> The cure is to insert something thin and flexible into the card slot
> between the card and the flap - I used the end of a 35mm film retrieval
> tool but anything thin and stiff would probably do the job - holding the
> flap away from the card whilst pulling it free.
>
> This problem could affect any camera with a slot flap hinging inward
> particularly if the edge of the door is not rounded.

Some products just don't make sense, and this (reduced size mmd/sd
cards). The SD card is already amost too small, and any reduction in
the size will only make it easier to drop/lose. Small enough is small
enough. If this keeps up we will need microscopes to change cards