Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Also need recommendations

Also need recommendations

jilliesmother

I want a high end digital camera that takes high resolutions pictures.
I have not bought one yet for the same reason as the other person was
commenting the shutter speed. Is there any digital camera out there
that takes a picture like a high end Nikon 35 mm camera, with the same
shutter speed, that is automatic? I am not at all technical so please
try to make it simple, and thank you ahead of time for your patience.

Colic

"jilliesmother" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I want a high end digital camera that takes high resolutions pictures.
> I have not bought one yet for the same reason as the other person was
> commenting the shutter speed. Is there any digital camera out there
> that takes a picture like a high end Nikon 35 mm camera, with the same
> shutter speed, that is automatic? I am not at all technical so please
> try to make it simple, and thank you ahead of time for your patience.

Yes, in the Nikon line the D100 and D70 are both cameras that function
identical to a nice 35mm film camera. Both have automatic modes that work
quite well.

In the Canon line the Digital Rebel, 10D (now out of production, but still
found for sale), and the 20D all have the same capabilities as the above
mentioned Nikons. Of the 5 cameras jsut mentioned the Canon 20D is probably
the best camera overall, although the Nikon D70 has a couple features that
the 20D could really use (such as spot meter). None of these features would
impact your use of the automatic mode.

Both Canon and Nikon make more models than this, but the ones not named are
aimed at the professional markets and get quite expensive. The five listed
above range in price from about $1500 to $700, average real world sales
prices. From highest to lowest price (average):20D, D100, D70, 10D, Digital
Rebel. In general this list is also the list from "best" to "worst" by many
definitions. The D100 and D70 would probably be reversed in a list of this
type, and the margine between the D70, D100, and 10D gets very small. (I
bet these last two sentances draw some responses...lol). All of the above
listed cameras can yield results that can not be decerned from print film if
the correct printing techniques are used.

There are other manufacturers who make DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex)
cameras that could also be counted, but I have not personally used any other
brands. Kodak, Konica-Minolta, Olympus and Fuji come to mind.

There are also several point and shoot cameras that will produce outstanding
results that up to about 8 x 10 inch print size are very hard to tell from
film photographs. These cameras typically cost from $1000 down to the $300
range, with less and less features and optical performance as you go down.
Cameras under $300 are often so limited in feature set that real world print
quality suffers, despite the fact that the imagers themselves are quite
capable of nice images.

Really, you are the only one who can make a choice about what you have to
have and what you can afford. Everyone can suggest their favorite camera,
but it may not be applicable to your needs/wants/capabilities.

bob

"jilliesmother" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> Is there any digital camera out there
> that takes a picture like a high end Nikon 35 mm camera, with the same
> shutter speed, that is automatic?

Mostly the digital-SLR type cameras respond the same as film-slr cameras,
while the digital-non-slr cameras have a delay between pressing the
shutter and it taking the photo.

Some of the newest, most expensive cameras have greatly reduced this lag,
and some techniques can also reduce it.

On dpreview.com, the review of the Nikon Coolpix 8400 ($900 more or less)
is tested at 1/10 second lag from the 1/2 press, but up to 2 seconds in
other situations.

Bob

Crownfield

Colic wrote:

> "jilliesmother" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >I want a high end digital camera that takes high resolutions pictures.
> > I have not bought one yet for the same reason as the other person was
> > commenting the shutter speed. Is there any digital camera out there
> > that takes a picture like a high end Nikon 35 mm camera, with the same
> > shutter speed, that is automatic? I am not at all technical so please
> > try to make it simple, and thank you ahead of time for your patience.

> Really, you are the only one who can make a choice about what you have to
> have and what you can afford. Everyone can suggest their favorite camera,
> but it may not be applicable to your needs/wants/capabilities.

he is very right.

go to two stores, and look at what they offer.
ask opinions at both stores.
think about what they say,
handle the cameras, and find out if one feels better to you.
http://www.dpreview.com will have pretty good reviews of the cameras,
and will tell you if what you are thinking
is getting lost in the sales pitch.

thumbs plus from ceriors.com,
and paint shop pro from jasc.com / corel.com
are two good and useful programs
for working with the pictures that you will get.

Harvey

"jilliesmother" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I want a high end digital camera that takes high resolutions pictures.
> I have not bought one yet for the same reason as the other person was
> commenting the shutter speed. Is there any digital camera out there
> that takes a picture like a high end Nikon 35 mm camera, with the same
> shutter speed, that is automatic? I am not at all technical so please
> try to make it simple, and thank you ahead of time for your patience.

Ninety seven people out of 100 are happy with the Panasonic FZ-20. It is a
large digital camera and has a huge Leica lens.

Hunt

>Colic wrote:

[SNIP]

>thumbs plus from ceriors.com,
>and paint shop pro from jasc.com / corel.com
>are two good and useful programs
>for working with the pictures that you will get.

I believe that the URL for ThumbsPlus is www.cerious.com

Hunt

hotchkisstrio

My wife and I recently went through this process, and decided on the D70.
But the Digital Rebel is also very good. We only went with the D70 because
it had a few key features that we really wanted (Better continuos shooting
speed, more command dials for easy access to settings, etc.)

I think you'd be happy with either the Nikon D70 or Canon Digital Rebel.
Image quality is very similar (according to most reviews), so maybe just try
them and see which one is easier for you to use and enjoy.

-Paul H.

Hunt wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> >Colic wrote:

> [SNIP]
> >
> >thumbs plus from ceriors.com,
> >and paint shop pro from jasc.com / corel.com
> >are two good and useful programs
> >for working with the pictures that you will get.

> I believe that the URL for ThumbsPlus is www.cerious.com

typo error. thank you for catching it.