Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > EOS 300D - Error 99

EOS 300D - Error 99

Tumbleweed

Just bought a sigma 70-210 to use with my 300d. (Can't afford the proper
Canon lens)
It works OK from 85-210 on "P" and most of the Image Zone presets.
In any of the "Creative Zone" settings or on any setting using a focal
length less than 85 it freezes, with the message "Error 99"
The instruction book gives no help at all on error 99 - it appears to be a
"catch-all" for "oops - I cocked up"
I've tried changing from auto to manual focus and defining the focus and
meter zones, but it still freezes.
Any helpful suggestions? (Buy a Canon lens is not a helpful suggestion....
;o) )

traction

Some lens problem... Err 99 came up on mine when (Sigma Lens 28-300 as
well ) the aperture began to get sticky on occasional shots ( Wouldn't close
past about f...

"Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:csqrsr$572$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just bought a sigma 70-210 to use with my 300d. (Can't afford the proper
> Canon lens)
> It works OK from 85-210 on "P" and most of the Image Zone presets.
> In any of the "Creative Zone" settings or on any setting using a focal
> length less than 85 it freezes, with the message "Error 99"
> The instruction book gives no help at all on error 99 - it appears to be a
> "catch-all" for "oops - I cocked up"
> I've tried changing from auto to manual focus and defining the focus and
> meter zones, but it still freezes.
> Any helpful suggestions? (Buy a Canon lens is not a helpful suggestion....
> ;o) )

Chris Brown

In article <csqrsr$572$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tumbleweed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Just bought a sigma 70-210 to use with my 300d. (Can't afford the proper
>Canon lens)
>It works OK from 85-210 on "P" and most of the Image Zone presets.
>In any of the "Creative Zone" settings or on any setting using a focal
>length less than 85 it freezes, with the message "Error 99"
>The instruction book gives no help at all on error 99 - it appears to be a
>"catch-all" for "oops - I cocked up"
>I've tried changing from auto to manual focus and defining the focus and
>meter zones, but it still freezes.
>Any helpful suggestions? (Buy a Canon lens is not a helpful suggestion....

It may not be helpful, but it's essentially the right answer. Some Sigma
lenses are not fully compatible with all EOS cameras, and some camera models
are fussier than others.

If the lens is relatively new, you may be able to get Sigma to rechip it for
you. If they won't, or can't do this, then you're stuck, I'm afraid.

Steve Wolfe

> Just bought a sigma 70-210 to use with my 300d. (Can't afford the proper
> Canon lens)
> It works OK from 85-210 on "P" and most of the Image Zone presets.
> In any of the "Creative Zone" settings or on any setting using a focal
> length less than 85 it freezes, with the message "Error 99"
> The instruction book gives no help at all on error 99 - it appears to be a
> "catch-all" for "oops - I cocked up"
> I've tried changing from auto to manual focus and defining the focus and
> meter zones, but it still freezes.
> Any helpful suggestions? (Buy a Canon lens is not a helpful suggestion....

When using a Sigma lens of mine outside in very cold conditions, I got an
"err 99" which I resolved by power-cycling the camera a few times, and it
hasn't come back. You may want to try cleaning the electrical contacts on
the lens and body, and then reseating the lens.

steve

RustYŠ

"Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:csqrsr$572$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just bought a sigma 70-210 to use with my 300d. (Can't afford the proper
> Canon lens)

Sell the Smegma and buy a second hand Canon 75-300. Much cheaper, better
quality and will work with the 300D and your next camera too. ( You can't
afford to buy Smegma! )

AK

"Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:csqrsr$572$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just bought a sigma 70-210 to use with my 300d. (Can't afford the proper
> Canon lens)
> It works OK from 85-210 on "P" and most of the Image Zone presets.
> In any of the "Creative Zone" settings or on any setting using a focal
> length less than 85 it freezes, with the message "Error 99"
> The instruction book gives no help at all on error 99 - it appears to be a
> "catch-all" for "oops - I cocked up"
> I've tried changing from auto to manual focus and defining the focus and
> meter zones, but it still freezes.
> Any helpful suggestions? (Buy a Canon lens is not a helpful suggestion....
> ;o) )

One of my Sigma lenses won't work on the 300D, works frin on my EOS so it
looks like it needs to be rechipped. This may be the same for you.
Unfortunately not all older Sigma lenses work on canon DSLRs

Colic

"AK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:csreik$bfq$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> One of my Sigma lenses won't work on the 300D, works frin on my EOS so it
> looks like it needs to be rechipped. This may be the same for you.
> Unfortunately not all older Sigma lenses work on canon DSLRs

For that matter not all Sigma lenses will work with all Canon cameras
period, be they film or DSLR.

Sigma reverse engineers the Canon EOS EF interface instead of licensing it
from Canon, and for the most part they do a pretty good job of it. It
generally works with all EOS cameras that are out at the time the lens is
designed. But, Sigma has no way of knowing what new cameras will use what
features of the EOS EF lens interface, and so as new Canon cameras come out
the older lenses may, or may not, be compatible.

The nice thing about buying a Canon EF lens is that you can be sure it will
work with new Canon cameras when they come out.

C!