Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why in-camera interpolation.

Why in-camera interpolation.

FoulDragon

I noticed a few of the 3MP P&S cameras I've seen offer a "6MP interpolated"
mode.

What's the possible merit of this? If you wanted to interpolate a 6MP image
from a 3MP sensor, wouldn't it be better done on the computer, rather than
making a larger file on the storage card?
--
Marada Shra'drakaii

Sheldon

I guess it depends which does the better job -- the camera or the software.

"FoulDragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I noticed a few of the 3MP P&S cameras I've seen offer a "6MP interpolated"
> mode.
>
> What's the possible merit of this? If you wanted to interpolate a 6MP
> image
> from a 3MP sensor, wouldn't it be better done on the computer, rather than
> making a larger file on the storage card?
> --
> Marada Shra'drakaii

David J. Littleboy

"FoulDragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I noticed a few of the 3MP P&S cameras I've seen offer a "6MP

interpolated"
> mode.
>
> What's the possible merit of this? If you wanted to interpolate a 6MP

image
> from a 3MP sensor, wouldn't it be better done on the computer, rather than
> making a larger file on the storage card?

If it's a Fuji camera, Fuji has made the revolutionary discovery that
rotating the sensor 45 degrees increases resolution. (That is, of course,
complete BS, but Fuji rotates their sensors anyway.) Unfortunately, once
you've rotated the sensor, then if you transform a 3MP rotated image into a
3MP unrotated image, you lose information. So they have to provide an
interpolated 6MP image in unrotated mode to get the 3MP of information that
they actually capture.

If it's not a Fuji camera, then it's meaningless.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

embee

In good hands, the software will win hands-down. Camera processors can never
do what even a relatively basic image editing package can do, if used
properly. That's why I recommend shooting RAW if you can.

"Sheldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I guess it depends which does the better job -- the camera or the

software.

FoulDragon

>f it's not a Fuji camera, then it's meaningless.

I've seen it on several ranges. It's on the Rollei I bought, the Ezonics I
almost got, and I note a ad which appeared in a wide range of magazines for a
"6MP" camera ('Bell & Howell' labelled, probably by some bilge firm which
applies the name to all manner of tripe) which apparently was only 3MP
internally but interpolated at standard settings.
--
Marada Shra'drakaii

Tony

"FoulDragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >f it's not a Fuji camera, then it's meaningless.

> I've seen it on several ranges. It's on the Rollei I bought, the Ezonics
> almost got, and I note a ad which appeared in a wide range of magazines
> for a
> "6MP" camera ('Bell & Howell' labelled, probably by some bilge firm which
> applies the name to all manner of tripe) which apparently was only 3MP
> internally but interpolated at standard settings.

The extra pixels are called "marketing pixels".
--
Tony W
My e-mail address has no hyphen

Keith Sheppard

>>I noticed a few of the 3MP P&S cameras I've seen offer a "6MP
interpolated"
>>mode.
>>
>>What's the possible merit of this? If you wanted to interpolate a 6MP

image
>>from a 3MP sensor, wouldn't it be better done on the computer, rather than
>>making a larger file on the storage card?

If you are shooting in raw mode then I would agree. The time when
interpolation in the camera returns a slight advantage is when you ask the
camera to save the image as jpeg, and the advantage stems from the fact that
the interpolation is performed _before_ jpeg compression.

To do the interpolation later on your PC, the image goes through the
following steps:

1) In-camera jpeg compression.

2) On your PC, the jpeg is decompressed. Then you perform the interpolation
and then re-encode as jpeg.

That double encoding is going to cost you in quality.

Keith

Owamanga

On 21 Jan 2005 06:07:58 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (FoulDragon) wrote:

>I noticed a few of the 3MP P&S cameras I've seen offer a "6MP interpolated"
>mode.
>
>What's the possible merit of this? If you wanted to interpolate a 6MP image
>from a 3MP sensor, wouldn't it be better done on the computer, rather than
>making a larger file on the storage card?

Owning a computer is not a pre-requsite for owing a P&S. With every
camera you buy, hundreds of trade-offs are made to make the thing
appeal to the largest market. A 6Mp interpolated image *may* print
better than a smaller one when taken directly from the card and
printed at wallmart.

Also, a high percentage of P&S purchasers are technically retarded so
something that mentions 6Mp on a bright sticker on the front of the
camera has got to be better than 3Mp.

As for computer based interpolation being better - it's a hard call:

Computers have faster processors, more memory, more processing time,
and a much larger set of developers working on the problem. They can
therefore run more flexible and complex algorithms to do a decent
interpolated enlargement.

The camera has one massive advantage - access to the raw data.

Which is better? - Only tests can show.

--
Owamanga!

Darrell

"FoulDragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I noticed a few of the 3MP P&S cameras I've seen offer a "6MP

interpolated"
> mode.
>
> What's the possible merit of this? If you wanted to interpolate a 6MP

image
> from a 3MP sensor, wouldn't it be better done on the computer, rather than
> making a larger file on the storage card?

Sigma makes a 12.7 megapixel image out of a 3.4 megapixel Foveon CCD

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

FoulDragon wrote:

> I noticed a few of the 3MP P&S cameras I've seen offer a "6MP interpolated"
> mode.
>
> What's the possible merit of this? If you wanted to interpolate a 6MP image
> from a 3MP sensor, wouldn't it be better done on the computer, rather than
> making a larger file on the storage card?

A lot of digital photographers don't want to use computers. Look at the
number of printers these days that print directly from camera. I am not
sure why these folks want digital, but for those like that, in-camera
works for them.