Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > HSRP Design Question

HSRP Design Question

bigbrorpi@gmail.com

I'm struggling with a network design as follows:
2 L3 switches running HSRP with 2 VLANs - 1 for users, 1 for servers
I then have a VLAN that my FW is connected to for Net access.

Now, I have to add on two remote sites.
These two sites have the main network (described above, call it Site
HQ) as their default gateway. It is critical that they be able to reach
the server VLAN and the FW VLAN.
Now - I want to connect Sites 1 and 2 with redundancy and as much
automated failover as possible. RIP is running (I plan to go to EIGRP
later).

Looking at one remote site only:
The most expensive and I think most redundant solution would be to buy
four routers with two T1s and build a square type topology where the
remote LAN would reside on an L3 switch which would be the default GW,
with it having default routes to both of the routers depending on which
was "primary".

I could also have two routers with Multilink PPP running to load
balance between HQ and Site 1. My problem there is how do I connect it
at HQ for HSRP to be effective? I have the "WAN" stuff running off of
another VLAN on the 3750s - but HSRP is not enabled for that VLAN -
should it be? If the HSRP master doesn't go down, but one of the T1s
does, I don't really want the whole network to fail to the HSRP slave,
I was thinking of just having a backup route pointing to the HSRP slave
and then out to the remote site.

Any comments/suggestions/ideas?

Thanks

Vincent C Jones

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm struggling with a network design as follows:
>2 L3 switches running HSRP with 2 VLANs - 1 for users, 1 for servers
>I then have a VLAN that my FW is connected to for Net access.
>
>Now, I have to add on two remote sites.
>These two sites have the main network (described above, call it Site
>HQ) as their default gateway. It is critical that they be able to reach
>the server VLAN and the FW VLAN.
>Now - I want to connect Sites 1 and 2 with redundancy and as much
>automated failover as possible. RIP is running (I plan to go to EIGRP
>later).
>
>Looking at one remote site only:
>The most expensive and I think most redundant solution would be to buy
>four routers with two T1s and build a square type topology where the
>remote LAN would reside on an L3 switch which would be the default GW,
>with it having default routes to both of the routers depending on which
>was "primary".
>
>I could also have two routers with Multilink PPP running to load
>balance between HQ and Site 1. My problem there is how do I connect it
>at HQ for HSRP to be effective? I have the "WAN" stuff running off of
>another VLAN on the 3750s - but HSRP is not enabled for that VLAN -
>should it be? If the HSRP master doesn't go down, but one of the T1s
>does, I don't really want the whole network to fail to the HSRP slave,
>I was thinking of just having a backup route pointing to the HSRP slave
>and then out to the remote site.
>
>Any comments/suggestions/ideas?
>
>Thanks

A few suggestions, based on the level of understanding implied by
your questions:

Distinguish between techniques appropriate for WAN designs and
those only appropriate for LANs (such as HSRP).

Remember that redundancy ONLY enhances availability if it is
correctly designed, implemented AND managed. Otherwise, all you
increase is cost.

Focus on improving the pieces which are most prone to failure
first. Fix the pieces with the biggest impact rather than the ones
which are easiest.

Consider hiring a competent consultant to hold your hand and guide
you through the details unless you have lots of time and can afford
the down time as you learn from trial and error.

You might want to pick up a copy of my book and read chapters 1,
2, and 6. Then think about how the concepts presented apply to your
network requirements.

Good luck and have fun!
http://www.networkingunlimited.com

anybody43@hotmail.com

> You might want to pick up a copy of my book and read chapters 1,
> 2, and 6. Then think about how the concepts presented apply to your
> network requirements.

I tried but it seems to be out of print?

BTW - Are these your's too?

MAP/TOP
United States Army in World War Two....

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> You might want to pick up a copy of my book and read chapters 1,
>> 2, and 6. Then think about how the concepts presented apply to your
>> network requirements.

>I tried but it seems to be out of print?

Available "new & used" from other vendors on Amazon. The remainders
seem to be running out, as the price is up to $30.00 plus shipping.

>BTW - Are these your's too?
>
>MAP/TOP <<-- Yes
>United States Army in World War Two..<<-- No

http://www.networkingunlimited.com

Campus Design Problem - Redundancy, HSRP, STP, VLANs... toddedu@yahoo.com Cisco 2 09-18-2007 01:42 PM
redundant L2/L3 design and multiple hsrp standby interfaces lfnetworking Cisco 0 05-20-2005 10:16 PM
redudant L2/3 design and multiple hsrp standby interfaces lfnetworking Cisco 0 05-20-2005 10:12 PM
HSRP Design bobg30 Cisco 1 09-25-2004 12:24 PM
question about HSRP cci admin Cisco 6 05-27-2004 08:17 AM

Advertisments