Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RE: Keep Cosina or buy Nikon Lens ?

RE: Keep Cosina or buy Nikon Lens ?

Bernard P Rother

Hi there,
I have glass from both manufacturers and know the difference in quality
but was wondering if it's really worthwhile to retire my Cosina 17-35
f3.5 AF and fork out more money for the D70 kit lens 18-55 (?). The
difference in focal length can be ignored for the moment. It would mean
a few months saving up but I don't want to spend that kind of money for
marginal improvements. Focus speed and motor noise are also not an issue.
I'm thinking more of how much sharper / contrasty the final image will
appear on the screen.
Anyone care to comment ?
Bernard

George

"Bernard P Rother" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:csnhnb$p6r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
> I have glass from both manufacturers and know the difference in quality
> but was wondering if it's really worthwhile to retire my Cosina 17-35
> f3.5 AF and fork out more money for the D70 kit lens 18-55 (?). The
> difference in focal length can be ignored for the moment. It would mean
> a few months saving up but I don't want to spend that kind of money for
> marginal improvements. Focus speed and motor noise are also not an issue.
> I'm thinking more of how much sharper / contrasty the final image will
> appear on the screen.
> Anyone care to comment ?
> Bernard

First, the "kit" lens is 18-70...substantially more useful (IMHO) focal
length
range than what you've got...but you say that isn't an issue. It is also an
AF-S
lens so it does focus faster and quieter...but you say that isn't an issue.
I did
see a review of it at www.bythom.com that was very favorable. I wound up
buying one after the fact, so mine cost me $400, not $300 as it does if you
buy it in the D-70 kit. Even though I already have around ten Nikon lenses
for 35mm cameras, I found a "hole" in the range (due to D-70 crop factor)
that this lens fills very nicely and think it is an excellent lens. If the
cost bothers
you, consider this: when you "buy" a Nikon lens, I believe you are paying
more of a "long-term rental fee" in that the lens won't depreciate anywhere
near what off-brand lenses do, i.e., after you've used your Nikon lens for
4-5 years you can probably still resell it for at least 50% what you paid
for
it while you'd be lucky to unload off-brand lenses (not Sigma, Tamron,
Tokina)
for $25.

George

BTW--I'd still vote for keeping your Cosina lens (in addition to having the
Nikon
lens) because it likely won't bring you much $$ and would serve as a
"beater" lens
to take into situations where you might want to protect your more expensive
lenses.