Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Got my Jupiter 21m 200mm f/4 lens

Got my Jupiter 21m 200mm f/4 lens

Siddhartha Jain

Finally, today the postal service delivered my Jupiter 21m 200mm f4 M42
mount lens that was shipped from Russia on 9th Dec'04!!! Cost me $45
and $15 in shipping from Russia to India for this ~1Kg lens.

Funnily, the customs department sent me a notice regarding the used
Sirius 28mm f/2.8 M42 mount lens I bought off eBay for GBP2.99 and let
the Jupiter thru without any hassles!! The ways of the government are
definitely mysterious

The Jupiter is well built, focus ring is smooth and has a built-in
hood. Turning the aperture ring rattles the innards of the lens a bit
making a clunk sound but for $45 who's complaining

Although I don't have any other lens in the 200mm range to compare it
with but took some test shots with my Canon 300D of Norman Koren's test
charts and the lens seems usable from f/5.6 onwards. Maybe I will post
some comparison shots when I receive my Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DO Macro
II next month.

Looking forward to lugging it to the short three day vacation I am off
to this weekend.

One thing that's niggling me though is that is the Canon 300D mount
strong enough to take this 1kg weight because the lens has no tripod
collar? Can I get one third-party tripod collar for it?
Thanks,

- Siddhartha

adm

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Finally, today the postal service delivered my Jupiter 21m 200mm f4 M42
> mount lens that was shipped from Russia on 9th Dec'04!!! Cost me $45
> and $15 in shipping from Russia to India for this ~1Kg lens.

They have some cool looking stuff - and cheap as hell too.

Anyone ever used one of these:

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/r..._1000_lens.htm

I was thinking for some moon pictures......

I wonder if it will work with a D70.

1000mm x 1.5 crop factor....wow.

Sheldon

Just remember that when you use slow shutter speed everything is moving (the
Earth and the Moon). If you are really into astronomy you might want to get
a motorized base that they use for telescopes.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...