Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > COLD weather

COLD weather

I have this new D70 ready to shoot. It's FREEZING out there. Does cold
weather affect the camera itself and is it harmful to it? I guess I should
read the specifications about operating temp ranges. It's actually about 3
degrees here with the wind chill. That may not be good for an expensive lens
or the internal components of the camera. Damn, I wanna take some pictures.
Spring time is usually the perfect time though....and that will be here
eventually.

rafe bustin

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:43:01 -0500, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have this new D70 ready to shoot. It's FREEZING out there. Does cold
>weather affect the camera itself and is it harmful to it? I guess I should
>read the specifications about operating temp ranges. It's actually about 3
>degrees here with the wind chill. That may not be good for an expensive lens
>or the internal components of the camera. Damn, I wanna take some pictures.
>Spring time is usually the perfect time though....and that will be here
>eventually.

The camera's battery is likely to be
less effective in the cold. Keep a
spare battery inside your clothing,
close to your body to keep it warm.

Your camera doesn't feel wind chill,
so the air temperature is all that
matters. Wind chill only matters to
humans, and only where there is
exposed skin.

The biggest "danger" to the camera is
taking it back inside after it's been
cold for a long time -- condensation
is something to watch out for. Not
generally dangerous, but it will make
the camera unusable until it warms up.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Robert R Kircher, Jr.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have this new D70 ready to shoot. It's FREEZING out there. Does cold
> weather affect the camera itself and is it harmful to it? I guess I should
> read the specifications about operating temp ranges. It's actually about 3
> degrees here with the wind chill. That may not be good for an expensive
> lens
> or the internal components of the camera. Damn, I wanna take some
> pictures.
> Spring time is usually the perfect time though....and that will be here
> eventually.

Just spent 2 days along the Blue Ridge Parkway (NC and VA) with my Canon
300D. Monday started out at around 10F and didn't get over 30F. I was out
for well over 2 hours first thing in the morning and then at least an hour
at each stop along the way. The camera got a fair amount of cold weather
exposure and performed perfectly.

--

Rob

Bigguy

Before you bring the (cold) camera into the (warm) house, seal it in a
plastic freezer bag. Allow it to warm up in the house and any condensation
will form on the outside of the bag not inside the camera...

Keep spare batteries warm while outside (in an inside pocket).

Guy

> I have this new D70 ready to shoot. It's FREEZING out there. Does cold
> weather affect the camera itself and is it harmful to it? I guess I
> should read the specifications about operating temp ranges. It's
> actually about 3 degrees here with the wind chill. That may not be
> good for an expensive lens or the internal components of the camera.
> Damn, I wanna take some pictures. Spring time is usually the perfect
> time though....and that will be here eventually.

Charlie Self

Rob Kircher responds:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have this new D70 ready to shoot. It's FREEZING out there. Does cold
>> weather affect the camera itself and is it harmful to it? I guess I should
>> read the specifications about operating temp ranges. It's actually about 3
>> degrees here with the wind chill. That may not be good for an expensive
>> lens
>> or the internal components of the camera. Damn, I wanna take some
>> pictures.
>> Spring time is usually the perfect time though....and that will be here
>> eventually.

>Just spent 2 days along the Blue Ridge Parkway (NC and VA) with my Canon
>300D. Monday started out at around 10F and didn't get over 30F. I was out
>for well over 2 hours first thing in the morning and then at least an hour
>at each stop along the way. The camera got a fair amount of cold weather
>exposure and performed perfectly.

IIRC, back in the good old days when I used a Canon F1, shooting motorcycle ice
races around Glens Falls, NY, the biggest worry was about shutter linkages and
film advance and rewind. Basically, back then, you'd send the camera in for
cold weather treatment (we're talking below zero, F., here, often as much as 15
below and windy). If I was properly informed, said treatment consisted mainly
of removing normal lubricants and either leaving them off or replacing them
with very, very, very light versions.

Film wind and rewind was a bigger problem. Motor drives could advance film fast
enough to cause static streaks, as could fast manual rewinding. Thus sequence
shots were more difficult. Rewind static was easy to cure. Just be more
deliberate, slower.

I don't see much chance for problems with an electronic camera that has an
electronic shutter. Curtain shutters, though, could be a problem, if they
stick, but 10F isn't that cold.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush

Jim Townsend

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have this new D70 ready to shoot. It's FREEZING out there. Does cold
> weather affect the camera itself and is it harmful to it? I guess I should
> read the specifications about operating temp ranges. It's actually about 3
> degrees here with the wind chill. That may not be good for an expensive lens
> or the internal components of the camera. Damn, I wanna take some pictures.
> Spring time is usually the perfect time though....and that will be here
> eventually.

If Nikon is like most manufactureres, they only guarantee the camera
will work within specs down to 0C / 32F

I've had my Canon 10D out on a tripod for 1/2 an hour at -35C / -31F.
The battery lasted, but I had to call it quits when the AF in my
Sigma 15-30 ground to a halt.

When I was done, the camera was so cold I couldn't touch it with
my bare hands without feeling pain.

I didn't plan to have it out in the extreme cold for that long, but
I got carried away with what I was doing.. (Taking moonlit landscapes).

It was -40C / -40F here last week, but I never took the camera outdoors.
(To heck with the camera too cold for ME

Robert Scott

"Charlie Self" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> IIRC, back in the good old days when I used a Canon F1, shooting
> motorcycle ice
> races around Glens Falls, NY,

Hi Charlie,

I live in Whitehall, NY, a little ways up the road from Glens Falls. I had
Monday (MLK Day) off and was going to find out first hand how well my new
D70 works in the cold, but I decided to stay indoors; it was too breezy to
be out in the cold. =:-0

I've had my F4s's out all day in the single digits with no troubles. I'm
hoping the D70 can take it in stride too.

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com

Bigguy wrote:

> Before you bring the (cold) camera into the (warm) house, seal it in

> plastic freezer bag. Allow it to warm up in the house and any

condensation
> will form on the outside of the bag not inside the camera...

A camera is it's own bag. Putting it in another one won't accomplish
much.

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> A camera is it's own bag. Putting it in another one won't accomplish
> much

The bag prevents the (likely) much higher moisture content of the indoor air
from permeating the camera, then condensing on the cold surfaces of the
inside and outside parts of the camera.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com

Larry wrote:

>> A camera is it's own bag. Putting it in another one won't

accomplish
>> much

> The bag prevents the (likely) much higher moisture content of the

indoor air
> from permeating the camera, then condensing on the cold surfaces of

the
> inside and outside parts of the camera.

Like I said: the camera is it's own bag. By the time anything wiggles
through whatever cracks or holes in the camera body itself --
condensation/frost may even help seal these to some degree -- the
camera will most likely have warmed up.