Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monitor - LCD or CRT?

Monitor - LCD or CRT?

rafe bustin

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:12:42 -0800, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I sometimes talk with professionals (last time was this past Saturday at an
>> art show with 5 photographers represented) who use 4x5 slide film and
>> scanners (200+ MB per shot) and they claimed that they cannot get the
>> results they want with LCD monitors

>There's the bottom line. The John Stovalls of the world will
>be more than happy color correcting images of grandma's
>birthday party on their LCDs. For pro use one has to spend
>10x as much to get equivalent or superior color gamut, not
>to mention refresh rate and resolution flexibility which aren't
>available on any LCD at any price.

You haven't worked on a current high end LCD monitor.

Find yourself (for example) a Samsung 213T, for
around $900 street. It's 1600 x 1200, 21.3"
diagonal, 25ms refresh.

I've just started using one of these after several
years with a high end Viewsonic pro series
aperture grille CRT. No regrets, no looking back.

It profiles beautifully with a Gretag Eye-One.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

FoulDragon

>playing games at 60 fps on my 25 ms LCD.
>LCDs can do faster refresh than 60 Hz, but that would be out of sync for
>30 or 60 fps video.

Refresh doesn't make sense in the context of a monitor that doesn't redraw
every pixel every cycle. The 60Hz refresh rate most LCDs are set at merely
indicates data rate to the screen.

However, the time to change a pixel (the 16, 25, or 40ms quoted) is important
for games and video. I'd consider it the new analogue for refresh rate.

--
Marada Shra'drakaii

Tom

"rafe bustin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:12:42 -0800, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I sometimes talk with professionals (last time was this past Saturday at an
> >> art show with 5 photographers represented) who use 4x5 slide film and
> >> scanners (200+ MB per shot) and they claimed that they cannot get the
> >> results they want with LCD monitors

> >There's the bottom line. The John Stovalls of the world will
> >be more than happy color correcting images of grandma's
> >birthday party on their LCDs. For pro use one has to spend
> >10x as much to get equivalent or superior color gamut, not
> >to mention refresh rate and resolution flexibility which aren't
> >available on any LCD at any price.

> You haven't worked on a current high end LCD monitor.

From your response it's clear you don't know what a high-end
monitor is, LCD or otherwise.

> Find yourself (for example) a Samsung 213T, for
> around $900 street. It's 1600 x 1200, 21.3"
> diagonal, 25ms refresh.

Oh please. It's garbage for any kind of serious color correction.

> I've just started using one of these after several
> years with a high end Viewsonic pro series

'Nuff said.

Hap Shaughnessy

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:58:04 -0500, rafe bustin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:12:42 -0800, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I sometimes talk with professionals (last time was this past Saturday at an
>>> art show with 5 photographers represented) who use 4x5 slide film and
>>> scanners (200+ MB per shot) and they claimed that they cannot get the
>>> results they want with LCD monitors

>>There's the bottom line. The John Stovalls of the world will
>>be more than happy color correcting images of grandma's
>>birthday party on their LCDs. For pro use one has to spend
>>10x as much to get equivalent or superior color gamut, not
>>to mention refresh rate and resolution flexibility which aren't
>>available on any LCD at any price.

>You haven't worked on a current high end LCD monitor.
>
>Find yourself (for example) a Samsung 213T, for
>around $900 street. It's 1600 x 1200, 21.3"
>diagonal, 25ms refresh.
>
>I've just started using one of these after several
>years with a high end Viewsonic pro series
>aperture grille CRT. No regrets, no looking back.
>
>It profiles beautifully with a Gretag Eye-One.
>

>rafe b.
>http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Oh, yes.

Monitor advise sought.

My 21" ViewSonic P815 has been troubling me for quite awhile.

Purchased approx 1997. Big bucks at Cdn$2,100.00+. Computer was left
on 24/7 for years thinking expensive parts like SCSI hard disks would
last longer.

Not anymore. IDE hard disks are now cheap compared to today's cost of
hydro.

I think I ruined my ViewSonic. Three [3] examples up at:

http://web.newsguy.com/zomby_woof/temp/index.htm

PNG format. May need to be saved for best viewing.

Note: top 1˝" horiz across monitor is faded / lighter / off colour +
other smudges here and there. Very frustrating editing images.

I was told it may be electron guns out of alignment caused by
mishandling during moving to small town Canada. Was told DO NOT even
think of a home hacker repair—major electrical shock
hazard—understood.

Thinking of an LCD replacement. Saving money.

Hap [aka Al Jackson, Toronto Fire Dept., retired]

Hap Shaughnessy

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:27:16 -0500, Hap Shaughnessy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:58:04 -0500, rafe bustin
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>There's the bottom line. The John Stovalls of the world will
>>>be more than happy color correcting images of grandma's
>>>birthday party on their LCDs. For pro use one has to spend
>>>10x as much to get equivalent or superior color gamut, not
>>>to mention refresh rate and resolution flexibility which aren't
>>>available on any LCD at any price.

>>You haven't worked on a current high end LCD monitor.
>>
>>Find yourself (for example) a Samsung 213T, for
>>around $900 street. It's 1600 x 1200, 21.3"
>>diagonal, 25ms refresh.
>>
>>I've just started using one of these after several
>>years with a high end Viewsonic pro series
>>aperture grille CRT. No regrets, no looking back.
>>
>>It profiles beautifully with a Gretag Eye-One.
>>

>>rafe b.
>>http://www.terrapinphoto.com

>Oh, yes.
>
>Monitor advise sought.
>
>My 21" ViewSonic P815 has been troubling me for quite awhile.
>
>Purchased approx 1997. Big bucks at Cdn$2,100.00+. Computer was left
>on 24/7 for years thinking expensive parts like SCSI hard disks would
>last longer.
>
>Not anymore. IDE hard disks are now cheap compared to today's cost of
>hydro.
>
>I think I ruined my ViewSonic. Three [3] examples up at:
>
>http://web.newsguy.com/zomby_woof/temp/index.htm
>
>PNG format. May need to be saved for best viewing.
>
>Note: top 1˝" horiz across monitor is faded / lighter / off colour +
>other smudges here and there. Very frustrating editing images.
>
>I was told it may be electron guns out of alignment caused by
>mishandling during moving to small town Canada. Was told DO NOT even
>think of a home hacker repair—major electrical shock
>hazard—understood.
>
>Thinking of an LCD replacement. Saving money.
>
>Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Hap [aka Al Jackson, Toronto Fire Dept., retired]

Oh, my.

Forget all of the above.

Scrolling my 1152x864 screen shots vertically in MSIE F11 full screen
I noticed that the images appeared clean but the discolouration may be
a dirty CRT tube. Unknown if there is a protective glass cover over
it. Will do a google and may rip it apart for cleaning.

I must apologise for my stupidity and sorry for wasting your time.

Hap <ouch>

[BnH]

For now ... CRT is still the way to go.
I NEVER see any LCD that's capable of displaying this test file
http://www.photoking.com/calibrate.htm perfectly .

The shadow details is just not there in any LCD i've tested [ Viewsonic VP,
VG, VX serie, Samsung high ends , and EIZO ]

=bob=

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsn_Gd.9722$ru.2622@fed1read07...
> What's the current thinking of LCD vs. traditional CRT for Photoshop use?
>
> Independent of price, which technology is better for high end digital
> photography editing?
>
> TIA......

bob

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (David Efflandt) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Huh? LCDs have no flicker (unless the fluorescent tube is wearing
> out). They do not have phosphors that fade out every refresh like a
> CRT. The colors on an LCD stay on steady until the image is supposed
> to change to something else.

Maybe the ones I looked at had cheap flourescents driven off AC then, or
something, because they did flicker (new, out of the box), and it gave me
headaches.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

rafe bustin

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:11:27 +1100, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:

>For now ... CRT is still the way to go.
>I NEVER see any LCD that's capable of displaying this test file
>http://www.photoking.com/calibrate.htm perfectly .
>
>The shadow details is just not there in any LCD i've tested [ Viewsonic VP,
>VG, VX serie, Samsung high ends , and EIZO ]

Tested how? I've tested mine according to
the procedure described in "Real World Color
Management", Chapter 9 (Evaluating and Editing
Profiles) and it came through with flying
colors as it were.

That is to say, I can see the difference
between output level 0 and 2, and the
difference between output level 255 and 253.

(With my Viewsonic CRT, I could see a one-
point difference at either end.)

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

rafe bustin

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:27:39 -0600, bob <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (David Efflandt) wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Huh? LCDs have no flicker (unless the fluorescent tube is wearing
>> out). They do not have phosphors that fade out every refresh like a
>> CRT. The colors on an LCD stay on steady until the image is supposed
>> to change to something else.
>>

>Maybe the ones I looked at had cheap flourescents driven off AC then, or
>something, because they did flicker (new, out of the box), and it gave me
>headaches.

Odd, but I know at least one person who's
switched from CRT to LCD precisely because
of this issue (headaches.)

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Fletis Humplebacker

"bob" <
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Efflandt) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Huh? LCDs have no flicker (unless the fluorescent tube is wearing
> > out). They do not have phosphors that fade out every refresh like a
> > CRT. The colors on an LCD stay on steady until the image is supposed
> > to change to something else.
> >

> Maybe the ones I looked at had cheap flourescents driven off AC then, or
> something, because they did flicker (new, out of the box), and it gave me
> headaches.

Maybe they weren't set up properly?