Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70 and Adobe RGB color space

D70 and Adobe RGB color space

larrylook

Any downsides of shooting in Adobe RGB with D70 if I'm not using the pics on
the web? Will I notice any improvement going from srgb to argb?

C J Campbell

"larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any downsides of shooting in Adobe RGB with D70 if I'm not using the pics

on
> the web? Will I notice any improvement going from srgb to argb?

There are no downsides even if you are shooting for the web. SRGB is
designed for VGA standard monitors. You can't even buy one of these any
more. The monitors were terrible and ARGB looks no worse on them than SRGB
does. If someone is so cheap as to use a ten year old monitor, he obviously
does not care how anything looks.

Tom Ellliott

Gee whiz, CJ,
I sorta agree abut the cheapness part, but then if one wants to be PERFECT,
then it would not be unreasonable to spend a few thousand dollars on a
graphics monitor for photography work. Thus there is a SLIGHT delema = How
to get the most bang for the buck. One way is to calibrate your hardware -
monitor, printer, scanner/film or flatbed with adaptor your service bureau.
For me it was: get a calibration file from my service breau (along with a
glossy 11x14 print done in a chemical/wet lab and a matt print too). Then
get the monitor, scanner, printer, printer paper all to agree and then give
that file I make from the calibration file and send it to my service breau
and have them make a color wet print for me. Keep doing that untill the file
I make and give them to print look alike.
I did just that very procedure. It took awhile, a few prints/$$ but it was
worth it.
I have a file that I get great 5x7 B&W prints from on matt and glossy wet
paper. Each time the client orders prints I have one extra made and date the
back. I have placed an order about six times from that file. When I lay out
the six extra prints, you cannot tell the difference between them. Which was
first and which was last. Only by the date on the back can you tell which
one was made first!
A great illustration on the advantages of using all tools to thier maximum.
I shot in color negative, transferred to a Kodak Pro Photo CD scan, had 4x6
color prints made. Did all manipulations in color. Converted to a B&W file
and had the service breau make the B&W print.
I could have had a B&W negative made and did the B&W prints myself, but why?
Their B&W prints were just as good as my prints, I could then spend that
"darkroom" time shooting photos, and do a modest markup on the 5x7s still
make money, and everyone was a happy camper.
Yours,
Tom Elliott
http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com

"C J Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Any downsides of shooting in Adobe RGB with D70 if I'm not using the

pics
> on
> > the web? Will I notice any improvement going from srgb to argb?

> There are no downsides even if you are shooting for the web. SRGB is
> designed for VGA standard monitors. You can't even buy one of these any
> more. The monitors were terrible and ARGB looks no worse on them than SRGB
> does. If someone is so cheap as to use a ten year old monitor, he

obviously
> does not care how anything looks.

GTO

Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG? If you shoot in RAW (compressed NEF on the
D70), it does not matter since you can easily convert from one to the other
color space using Nikon Capture 4.1.3. By default, I am using:

File format: NEF (with basic JPEG)
White Balance: A
Optimizing Image: Custom
Sharpening: None
Tone: Low contrast
Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
Saturation: Normal
Hue: Normal

Afterwards, I can tweak it using Nikon Capture.

Gregor

"larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any downsides of shooting in Adobe RGB with D70 if I'm not using the pics
> on
> the web? Will I notice any improvement going from srgb to argb?

hyperion

GTO wrote:

> Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG? If you shoot in RAW (compressed NEF on the
> D70), it does not matter since you can easily convert from one to the
> other color space using Nikon Capture 4.1.3. By default, I am using:
>
> File format: NEF (with basic JPEG)
> White Balance: A
> Optimizing Image: Custom
> Sharpening: None
> Tone: Low contrast
> Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
> Saturation: Normal
> Hue: Normal

Why do you use "Low contrast" ?
(Just curious, no criticism!)
--
Regards,
Hyperion

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:51:41 +0100, in rec.photo.digital hyperion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GTO wrote:
>
>> Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG? If you shoot in RAW (compressed NEF on the
>> D70), it does not matter since you can easily convert from one to the
>> other color space using Nikon Capture 4.1.3. By default, I am using:
>>
>> File format: NEF (with basic JPEG)
>> White Balance: A
>> Optimizing Image: Custom
>> Sharpening: None
>> Tone: Low contrast
>> Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
>> Saturation: Normal
>> Hue: Normal

>Why do you use "Low contrast" ?
>(Just curious, no criticism!)

Most likely to lessen the probability of blown highlights.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

larrylook

"GTO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UnpGd.10955$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG? If you shoot in RAW (compressed NEF on the
> D70), it does not matter since you can easily convert from one to the

other
> color space using Nikon Capture 4.1.3. By default, I am using:
>
> File format: NEF (with basic JPEG)
> White Balance: A
> Optimizing Image: Custom
> Sharpening: None
> Tone: Low contrast
> Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
> Saturation: Normal
> Hue: Normal
>
> Afterwards, I can tweak it using Nikon Capture.
>
> Gregor
>
> "larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Any downsides of shooting in Adobe RGB with D70 if I'm not using the

pics
> > on
> > the web? Will I notice any improvement going from srgb to argb?

Just curious, why low contrast? Were your pics too high in contrast? I
shoot half fine lg jpegs and half raw plus basic. Does anyone know if pse3
converts argb to srgb (with raw files). I don't own capture. How come
default for camera is sRGB, if Adobe RGB is superior? I've read elsewhere
sRGB is best for internet use. See this:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...php/t-880.html

Ray Paseur

The gamut, or color space of your monitors and printers are not likely to
display colors that are outside of sRGB. Some of my colleagues just set up
an sRGB workflow and ignore aRGB. There's a good article here (free,
registration):

http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc025.html

Markeau

This is a good site to compare color gamuts of various
profiles/devices:
http://www.iccview.de/index_eng.htm

Try comparing aRGB and sRGB with your own monitor and printer profiles
and you will see the colors that can/cannot be displayed by the
device(s).

paul

larrylook wrote:

> Any downsides of shooting in Adobe RGB with D70 if I'm not using the pics on
> the web? Will I notice any improvement going from srgb to argb?

I think the difference is going to be noticeable when applying curves
and adjustments you can emphasize more if there is more to start with,
like RAW has more info to work with. I don't believe the eye can detect
such subtle differences; a computer monitor cannot. But after adjusting,
you might be able to make that hidden information visible.

I don't know if it's meaningful or more like just plain error but it's
easy to see a decrease in saturation if you open an aRGB photo in PS &
assign the incorrect sRGB colorspace. If you open as aRGB photoshop
detects it, then if you convert to sRGB there is no visible difference
to my eyes but I suspect if you apply curves to those there will be a
difference once the subtle difference is made available.

The disadvantage is simply the nuisance of remembering to convert for
printing at home on a normal inkjet which will show that desaturation.
And converting for web & email.

This is my non-professional understanding. Corrections welcome.