Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Remote cord for Canon Flash

Remote cord for Canon Flash

railfan

I still have film cameras, and with them I have a Canon HSA-2 off
camera cord for my Canon 430EZ flash. It works OK with both my Elan
IIe and 7e.

I tried to use it with my Canon Digital Rebel and Canon 420EX flash -
but it won't work. No indication in the camera viewfinder that there
is a flash attached, and the flash will not work if I press the shutter
button.

Anyone have an idea why? The extension cord has five contacts on both
ends, same as those on the flash. I understand why the 430EZ flash
will not work on the Rebel, but why doesn't the extension cord work?
The battery test LED lights up when the test button is pressed, so I
know the circuit is active.

I mean five contacts from the flash to five contacts on the camera hot
shoe - it should be direct electrical contact between the two items -
what's happening?

I imagine Canon has a new cord that will work with the Rebel, but I'm
not really interested in buying the expensive unit.
Thanks!

Bob Boudreau
Canada

Dave Herzstein

railfan wrote:

> I still have film cameras, and with them I have a Canon HSA-2 off
> camera cord for my Canon 430EZ flash. It works OK with both my Elan
> IIe and 7e.
>
> I tried to use it with my Canon Digital Rebel and Canon 420EX flash -
> but it won't work. No indication in the camera viewfinder that there
> is a flash attached, and the flash will not work if I press the shutter
> button.
>
> Anyone have an idea why? The extension cord has five contacts on both
> ends, same as those on the flash. I understand why the 430EZ flash
> will not work on the Rebel, but why doesn't the extension cord work?
> The battery test LED lights up when the test button is pressed, so I
> know the circuit is active.
>
> I mean five contacts from the flash to five contacts on the camera hot
> shoe - it should be direct electrical contact between the two items -
> what's happening?
>
> I imagine Canon has a new cord that will work with the Rebel, but I'm
> not really interested in buying the expensive unit.
> Thanks!
>
> Bob Boudreau
> Canada

Canon digital cameras require E-TTL. The Hot Shoe Adapter, Connecting
Cords and Off-Camera Shoe do not support E-TTL. (The HSA has internal
electronics and is designed to support mutiple speedlites in TTL
"off-the-film" mode only.) You must use either an Off Camera Shoe Cord
2 or a wireless master(*) to fire your 420EX off-camera.
* Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2
* 550EX, 580EX, MR-14EX, MT-24EX speedlite

-Dave