Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > RE: Win2k SSID

RE: Win2k SSID

=?Utf-8?B?UGllcnJlICBBcmNoYW1iYXVsdA==?=

CB,

Here are the two reg keys that i change before having a reboot

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted

If only XP was that simple too...

Pete

"CB" wrote:

> I am testing a win2k sp4 laptop. I am trying to connect to a Wireless AP.
> The AP is set not to broadcast its SSID. The win2k laptop is saying network
> cable unplugged. I can not find where to set the SSID. I have started the
> wireless configuration service, so i can not set the Auth Method to PEAP
> with MSCHAPV2.
>
> Can i set the SSID without a 3rd party software?

Pavel A.

On win2k, you must use 3rd party software to set SSID.
Actually this may be even *1st party* software - from the vendor of your netcard/driver.
WZCSVC in SP4 does not function as wireless configuration service in XP.
--PA

"Pierre Archambault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> CB,
>
> Here are the two reg keys that i change before having a reboot
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
>
> If only XP was that simple too...
>
> Pete
>

> "CB" wrote:
>
> > I am testing a win2k sp4 laptop. I am trying to connect to a Wireless AP.
> > The AP is set not to broadcast its SSID. The win2k laptop is saying network
> > cable unplugged. I can not find where to set the SSID. I have started the
> > wireless configuration service, so i can not set the Auth Method to PEAP
> > with MSCHAPV2.
> >
> > Can i set the SSID without a 3rd party software?

=?Utf-8?B?UGllcnJlICBBcmNoYW1iYXVsdA==?=

Hmmm.

Forgot to mention that the Wireless NIC we use is a 3Com X-Jack. After installing their drivers, we noticed that the utility they provide work so badly (and forget about support from 3Com, buying Cisco next time.) so we decided to use WZCSVC with W2K Sp4 instead.

Still, it's much simpler to shange the SSID under W2K SP4 thanin XP SP1. Until XP SP2 I guess.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> On win2k, you must use 3rd party software to set SSID.
> Actually this may be even *1st party* software - from the vendor of your netcard/driver.
> WZCSVC in SP4 does not function as wireless configuration service in XP.
> --PA
>
> "Pierre Archambault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > CB,
> >
> > Here are the two reg keys that i change before having a reboot
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
> >
> > If only XP was that simple too...
> >
> > Pete
> >

> > "CB" wrote:
> >
> > > I am testing a win2k sp4 laptop. I am trying to connect to a Wireless AP.
> > > The AP is set not to broadcast its SSID. The win2k laptop is saying network
> > > cable unplugged. I can not find where to set the SSID. I have started the
> > > wireless configuration service, so i can not set the Auth Method to PEAP
> > > with MSCHAPV2.
> > >
> > > Can i set the SSID without a 3rd party software?

Pavel A.

Unless your email ends with microsoft.com, you can forget about
running WZCSVC on win2k. Sorry for being rude...
The SSID parameter in the registry is proprietary to the card/driver, it is
not related and not needed for WZCSVC functioning.

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unless your email ends with microsoft.com, you can forget about

Oops. I meant, your *real* email address...
--PA