Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Transfering Files from Kodak Easyshare Camera

Transfering Files from Kodak Easyshare Camera

Steve H

To All:

I am helping a friend transfer files from a Kodak Easyshare DX6340 to a
laptop running WinXP SP1. On my PC, after using both the Canon and
Nikon file transfer software, I decided that it was much easier to just
use Windows Explorer for camera-to-computer file transfers.

Someone else installed the Easyshare software on my friends laptop so it
defaults to using the Easyshare software when plugging in the camera and
powering it up. The Easyshare software seems VERY slow and COMPLICATED
compared to using Windows Explorer. When attempting to use Windows
Explorer I am getting error about maxing out the memory (with 512 MB
installed).

So the questions are:

1) How do I disable the Easyshare software so that I can use Windows
Explorer to transfer the files?

2) Where are the "album files" (not the JPG files) that were previously
created stored on the laptop?

Thank you,

Steve

Hap Shaughnessy

Steve H:

I must assume it's the same for WinXP as it is for Win98se.

Yes. Kodak EasyShare software can be a PITA. Besides image transfers
from a Kodak digital camera it will launch itself for any kind of CD
whether it be a game, music, etc. looking for a Kodak Picture CD.

Here's how I disabled it.

1) Go to Start button ... Run ... type msconfig.exe ... startup tab
.... uncheck Kodak Easyshare software.

"C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe" -h
is the culprit that loads the software into the taskbar tray. Note: In
the MsConfig system tool that path will show in DOS 8.3 format.

After reboot on my Win98se box a "Disabled Startup Items" folder is
created. From there I can run the EasyShare software at will only when
I want to transfer photos from my camera.

2) C:\Program files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\Catalog.

By deleting the 4 files found the catalogs can be cleaned out and
rebuilt by hand. That's what I'm goping to do from now on after
checking into your question. After burning a CD it's another PITA
removing old catalog entries one by one from within the Easyshare
interface. No select all / remove all albums. Grrr.

The 4 files are:

2 catalogs ... EasyShare.me & EasyShare.mm

2 backup files ... ESBK.mb & ESBK.mbb

Copy all to a temp folder or rename files [ ie: ESBK.mbb_ ] to see if
it works okay for you before cleaning it out.

The only reason Kodak Easyshare lives over here is because it is
handier leaving the SD memory card in the camera rather than using my
SanDisk SD card reader and I can get at my DX7440's 32 Mbs of internal
memory.

Once I upgrade to WinXP 64-bit it's outta here forever.

ACDSee has been my software of choice for years to manage my image
files and oftentimes as a Windows Explorer file manager replacement.

Last: Spybot Search & Destroy helped me get rid of their Backweb crap
installed behind my back without my permission. I don't need any more
garbage running in the background than necessary just to notify me of
new software updates that are far and few between.

Hope this helps,

Hap

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:45:55 -0700, Steve H <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>To All:
>
>I am helping a friend transfer files from a Kodak Easyshare DX6340 to a
>laptop running WinXP SP1. On my PC, after using both the Canon and
>Nikon file transfer software, I decided that it was much easier to just
>use Windows Explorer for camera-to-computer file transfers.
>
>Someone else installed the Easyshare software on my friends laptop so it
>defaults to using the Easyshare software when plugging in the camera and
>powering it up. The Easyshare software seems VERY slow and COMPLICATED
>compared to using Windows Explorer. When attempting to use Windows
>Explorer I am getting error about maxing out the memory (with 512 MB
>installed).
>
>So the questions are:
>
>1) How do I disable the Easyshare software so that I can use Windows
>Explorer to transfer the files?
>
>2) Where are the "album files" (not the JPG files) that were previously
>created stored on the laptop?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Steve

Steve H

Hap Shaughnessy wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>I am helping a friend transfer files from a Kodak Easyshare DX6340 to a
>>laptop running WinXP SP1. On my PC, after using both the Canon and
>>Nikon file transfer software, I decided that it was much easier to just
>>use Windows Explorer for camera-to-computer file transfers.
>>
>>Someone else installed the Easyshare software on my friends laptop so it
>>defaults to using the Easyshare software when plugging in the camera and
>>powering it up. The Easyshare software seems VERY slow and COMPLICATED
>>compared to using Windows Explorer. When attempting to use Windows
>>Explorer I am getting error about maxing out the memory (with 512 MB
>>installed).
>>
>>So the questions are:
>>
>>1) How do I disable the Easyshare software so that I can use Windows
>>Explorer to transfer the files?
>>
>>2) Where are the "album files" (not the JPG files) that were previously

Hap:

Thanks for the info.

I was going to run msconfig to check for unnecessary startup items but
we were running out of time. My friend has a new laptop and I usually
like to run msconfig on new computers to clean up the startup junk.

Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!

On my PC's at home and at work running Win9x, Win2000 and WinXP, I
usually use Windows Explorer and either the camera or a card reader to
copy the files over. I have written a simple DOS batch file for
cataloging my files once I copy them over to the PC and use IrfanView
for reviewing the files.

So you even recommend running Spybot S&D. Is Easyshare really that bad?

Thanks,

Steve

Gerrit 't Hart

"Steve H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

SNIP

> Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!

Then why not just uninstall Easyshare and use a card reader. That's what I
have done. You don't need the Kodak software for anything!

Gerrit - Oz

Hap Shaughnessy

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:28:59 -0700, Steve H <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>created stored on the laptop?
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>
>>>Steve

>Hap:
>
>Thanks for the info.
>
>I was going to run msconfig to check for unnecessary startup items but
>we were running out of time. My friend has a new laptop and I usually
>like to run msconfig on new computers to clean up the startup junk.
>
>Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!
>
>On my PC's at home and at work running Win9x, Win2000 and WinXP, I
>usually use Windows Explorer and either the camera or a card reader to
>copy the files over. I have written a simple DOS batch file for
>cataloging my files once I copy them over to the PC and use IrfanView
>for reviewing the files.
>
>So you even recommend running Spybot S&D. Is Easyshare really that bad?

There are current threads discussing the pros and cons of Backweb. A
google search will find more info and how to get rid of it.

Right now I'm not absolutely sure if the Spybot Search & Destroy
freebie ripped it off my system or if I did it by hand.

I gassed it because I was not asked if I wanted it installed. I wasn't
aware of it until it ran into Sygate's freebie firewall that I use in
conjunction with a router. I'm of the old school and don't trust
anybody even if they have the best intentions when it comes to my
Internet security. Auto updaters and such are not allowed on this box.

Backweb may be useful for some and from what I've read it is harmless
and used as an updater by many vendors.

Kodak Easyshare is designed as the name suggests for consumers that
either don't have the computer skills or time to learn more advanced
software.

Many users really like it. It is simple and appears to be better than
some of the software bundled by other digicam makers.

I'll give it a 6 out of 10 rating and as bundled software it isn't all
that shabby. I guess. LOL.

Hap

PS: Ron Baird of Kodak if you read this, once again please pass on
that many users would appreciate a Superfine JPEG compression setting.

A new request.

Resetting the self-timer via the menu for every shot is very time
consuming and especially awkward when setting up tripod shots with the
camera held in the vertical for portrait orientated photos. A firmware
update to change that to remain either on or off until reset would be
great. Thanks for all of your support in rec.photo.digital. ---end of
babble.

Ron Hunter

Steve H wrote:
> [...]
>>> previously created stored on the laptop?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Steve

> Hap:
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I was going to run msconfig to check for unnecessary startup items but
> we were running out of time. My friend has a new laptop and I usually
> like to run msconfig on new computers to clean up the startup junk.
>
> Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!
>
> On my PC's at home and at work running Win9x, Win2000 and WinXP, I
> usually use Windows Explorer and either the camera or a card reader to
> copy the files over. I have written a simple DOS batch file for
> cataloging my files once I copy them over to the PC and use IrfanView
> for reviewing the files.
>
> So you even recommend running Spybot S&D. Is Easyshare really that bad?

Bad? As a picture transfer and cataloging program, it is mediocre at
best. As a tool for computer illerates who want to push one button and
have their images transferred from the camera to the computer, it is
great. It seems the major complaint is from users who have moderate to
expert knowledge of computing, and don't want the overhead, and
interference with their usual operating procedures. For anyone with
more than novice computer experience, I would recommend NOT installing
Easyshare, except for the camera connection software for those using
computers with Windows Me and earlier.

I don't imply that Kodak is trying to do anything other than serve their
customers as well as they can, which is evidenced by their
representatives who regularly participate in this newsgroup, but Backweb
is probably the wrong tool for the purpose.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
> "Steve H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> SNIP
>

>>Yes, from my limited experience, Easyshare is RPITA!

> Then why not just uninstall Easyshare and use a card reader. That's what I
> have done. You don't need the Kodak software for anything!
>
> Gerrit - Oz

Quite true, and the cameras with docks will still work to recharge the
camera, even if not connected to the USB interface....

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Gerrit 't Hart

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zJ5Fd.659$(E-Mail Removed)...

SNIP
> For anyone with more than novice computer experience, I would recommend
> NOT installing Easyshare, except for the camera connection software for
> those using computers with Windows Me and earlier.

My card reader came with driver software to use with OS earlier than XP so
even for Me and earlier you don't need Easyshare.

Gerrit

Ron Hunter

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zJ5Fd.659$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> SNIP
>
>>For anyone with more than novice computer experience, I would recommend
>>NOT installing Easyshare, except for the camera connection software for
>>those using computers with Windows Me and earlier.
>>

> My card reader came with driver software to use with OS earlier than XP so
> even for Me and earlier you don't need Easyshare.
>
> Gerrit

True, only needed if you want to connect the camera to the computer.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Baird

Greetings Hap,

I will pass along your thoughts, as Kodak appreciates them.

Just a note to let you know that when you install EasyShare Software, you
are given the choice of installing the Kodak Updater or not! You are also
given the choice of using EasyShare as the default for common image related
file types.

The program is not designed for those that are novice users, but as a
program that will catalog and manage your images. It is an excellent
program for this and it offers a lot of other features. Most of the
programs that are out there that cost you upwards of $50 or more do much the
same thing as the free Kodak EasyShare Software.

Also, please know that the Kodak Updater that uses Backweb, quite safe. It
is sometimes detected as SpyWare, or similar programs, by a virus detection
program detecting an auto updater program. These programs scan the computer
for latest installed components. Backweb is actually used by several auto
notification programs including Microsoft, Symantec, and others. Please
reference the following Web site to learn more about the Kodak Updater
technology.

http://www.backweb.com/services/technical

If you do not want it, you can eliminate it by selecting
Start/Programs/Kodak/Kodak EasyShare/Kodak Updater and select the disable
offering.

The Kodak Updater can also be uninstalled from the system by:

1. Opening the Control Panel.
2. Double left click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Find and uninstall the KODAK Software Updater.
4. Restart the computer.

Note: The program often does not appear in Add/Remove Programs, and may only
be uninstallable by re-running setup for the program that installed it. You
will see a selection of Modify, Repair, or Remove. Just follow the prompts
to remove that feature.

Essentially, the Kodak Updater looks for updates and when it finds one, it
downloads it to your system when you are not actively engaged in some
activity (the part noted by spyware detection). No different than the
updating of virus updates or OS updates. Same thing.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company