Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > First Trip With Canon 20D Questions

Reply
Thread Tools

First Trip With Canon 20D Questions

 
 
Fyimo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005
I'm leaving next week for a two-week trip to Costa Rica. I got my 20D
for Christmas and I have taken just over 800 pictures shaking it down
and getting use to it.

Lens kit choices

(1) The lens kit I'm thinking of taking is the 17-40mm f4, 70-200mm f4,
and the 300mm f4 IS. The only other lens I'm thinking of taking is the
50mm f1.8 for low light shots indoors without flash. The 300mm f4 IS is
going to be used for birds and other wildlife.

(2) My wife will have her Canon G6 and I could let her do all the
wide-angle stuff. Then I could leave the 17-40mm f4 home and take
either a 28-70mm f2.8 or 28-135mm IS lens. I'd probably prefer the
28-135mm IS lens. It's slower but with IS and the ability to increase
ISO speeds it would work in most situations.

I'm taking 6 batteries total for the two cameras. Also taking 5 Gig
memory in CF cards with (2) 1 gig and (4) 512 MB cards. I will have an
old laptop with about 5 Gig of free storage space to off load and
review images on. I'd like not to take the laptop but viewing images on
the camera sucks and I'm afraid 5 Gig isn't enough memory for two
cameras and photographers.

Which lens kit and how much storage do you think would work best. Also
is the laptop a luxury or a real necessity.

Thanks,
Art

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David J. Littleboy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005

"Fyimo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> I'm taking 6 batteries total for the two cameras. Also taking 5 Gig
> memory in CF cards with (2) 1 gig and (4) 512 MB cards. I will have an
> old laptop with about 5 Gig of free storage space to off load and
> review images on. I'd like not to take the laptop but viewing images on
> the camera sucks and I'm afraid 5 Gig isn't enough memory for two
> cameras and photographers.


I just bought the Epson P-2000. For RAW, it only shows you a VGA image, but
that's enough to at least see what's going on. It's a tad sluggish in
thumbnail display. The earlier ones only had USB 1.1, but the P-2000 has USB
2.0 and a nice display. I find that high contrast images that can be rescued
quite easily in Photoshop really lose it on the P-2000 (the dark section go
completely black) but other than that, it's fine.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/P-2000.shtml

It's pricey, but it's the right thing. And a lot lighter than a notebook PC,
and has enough memory (35GB of user data memory) to allow you to shoot RAW
all the time.

> Which lens kit and how much storage do you think would work best. Also
> is the laptop a luxury or a real necessity.


The 17-40's such a great lens, it would be a shame not to take it. If you
feel like spending real money, how about the 24/1.4 for interior low-light
shots? An f/1.4 lens really leverages the sensitivity of a dSLRs sensor to
the point of being flipping amazing.

Also, I'd recommend getting a couple or three 2GB cards. They're getting
cheap enough that it's really worth it. I love being able to shoot a whole
day on one card.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ken Oaf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:49:27 +0900, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
> "Fyimo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > I'm taking 6 batteries total for the two cameras. Also taking 5 Gig
> > memory in CF cards with (2) 1 gig and (4) 512 MB cards. I will have an
> > old laptop with about 5 Gig of free storage space to off load and
> > review images on. I'd like not to take the laptop but viewing images on
> > the camera sucks and I'm afraid 5 Gig isn't enough memory for two
> > cameras and photographers.

>
> I just bought the Epson P-2000. For RAW, it only shows you a VGA image, but
> that's enough to at least see what's going on. It's a tad sluggish in
> thumbnail display. The earlier ones only had USB 1.1, but the P-2000 has USB
> 2.0 and a nice display. I find that high contrast images that can be rescued
> quite easily in Photoshop really lose it on the P-2000 (the dark section go
> completely black) but other than that, it's fine.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/P-2000.shtml
>
> It's pricey, but it's the right thing. And a lot lighter than a notebook PC,
> and has enough memory (35GB of user data memory) to allow you to shoot RAW
> all the time.


For that sort of money, I would prefer to buy a second hand laptop and put a
bigger hard drive in it. Much more useful.




 
Reply With Quote
 
David J. Littleboy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005

"Ken Oaf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/P-2000.shtml
> >
> > It's pricey, but it's the right thing. And a lot lighter than a notebook

PC,
> > and has enough memory (35GB of user data memory) to allow you to shoot

RAW
> > all the time.

>
> For that sort of money, I would prefer to buy a second hand laptop and put

a
> bigger hard drive in it. Much more useful.


I definitely agree about the much more useful bit: on a trip one often has
spare time in the evenings and using that to work on one's images would be
great.

But I find that between clothes and cameras and a tripod, a PC often isn't
an option.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan


 
Reply With Quote
 
Siddhartha Jain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005
David J. Littleboy wrote:
>
> Also, I'd recommend getting a couple or three 2GB cards. They're

getting
> cheap enough that it's really worth it. I love being able to shoot a

whole
> day on one card.


Yep, those 1/2GB cards are cheap enough to take multiples of them to a
trip.

I bought a Vosonic VP300 MP3 player (USB 2.0) without a HDD for $85. It
can also read all sorts of flash cards. Then I added a used 30GB laptop
disk to it that I bought for ~$50. So now, I have 30GB of portable
storage with card reader and Mp3 player, all for $135 As a bonus,
the sound quality is awesome as I found out comparing it to an iPod
mini.

- Siddhartha

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Herzstein
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005
Fyimo wrote:
> ....I got my 20D for Christmas ....
> ....My wife will have her Canon G6....


Be careful if you swap CF cards between cameras. (below was true of
earlier Canon DSLRs and G-series cameras):

If you insert a CF card last used on the 20D (and not re-formatted) into
the G6, the G6 will start numbering images the higher of (1) the last G6
image or (2) the last 20D image. The same may be true if you insert
into the 20D a CF card from the G6. Be sure to format before using.

-Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Fyimo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005
Thanks, I was very negligent of this when I first started and I
actually think I experienced problems. I now reformat the cards every
time I off load them. I format them in the camera that they will be
going in.
I'm not sure but I think this can even be a problem between the 10D and
the 20D. I say this because I had about 500 images on the 10D when I
bought the 20D. I've had the 20D for 3 weeks and I have been to the
state park 3 times plus I shot a lot of pictures when my daughter and
grandkids were here. However, I can't account for all 800 pictures and
I think I put a card from the 10D into the 20D and I think it stated
counting at 500 + at some point. I'm not sure because I rigorously
delete all but the best pictures and I would have to review all the
master images and the data captured with them to see what camera they
were shot in.

Art.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Fyimo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005
I've decided to take the laptop for the additional storage and it will
let me review the images for deletion before saving to the hard drive.
I think before my next trip I will either get a photo viewer with 40
Gig hard drive like the Espon 2000 or a CD rom backup burner.
That said, I can't wait to leave and try to fill all those memory cards
and the hard drive with images.

Art

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EXTRA Battery Pack Needed on 3-Week Trip? Canon 40D.... dumbtroll@live.com Digital Photography 11 12-08-2007 11:16 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: G, DORA THE EXPLORER: DORA'S FIRST TRIP, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 04-11-2006 08:22 AM
20D's first field trip. First Snake of Spring Celtic Boar Digital Photography 3 04-10-2005 09:40 PM
Canon should be totally ashamed of this (and some others too) HP got this basic and absolutely essential thing right in their little digicam that's cheap even for a P&S, so why can't Canon?!! Yes, I know, there's more to the Canon 20D, b Mike Henley Digital Photography 43 12-15-2004 05:21 PM
American battery chargers (Canon D60) - for trip to the USA? Mr.Will Digital Photography 7 12-04-2004 03:24 PM



Advertisments