Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I thought the Nikon D2x was to be released on January 5th, 2005?

I thought the Nikon D2x was to be released on January 5th, 2005?

Anonymous

I thought the Nikon D2x was to be release on January 5th, 2005?

Any news?

Harvey

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I thought the Nikon D2x was to be release on January 5th, 2005?
>

> Any news?

Yes per Nikon the camera will be available for sale on February 25th. See
their site for details.

C J Campbell

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I thought the Nikon D2x was to be release on January 5th, 2005?

There were some people are Ritz affiliates claiming that, but I have never
seen anything from Nikon except February 25.

TAFKAB

Nikon did post a 2/25 release date with a price just under $5K (US), but
then pulled both the date and price a few days later. As far as I know,
there is no official release date or price.

This is, of course, typical Nikon.

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I thought the Nikon D2x was to be release on January 5th, 2005?
>

> Any news?

C J Campbell

"TAFKAB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41e14764$0$76931$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Nikon did post a 2/25 release date with a price just under $5K (US), but
> then pulled both the date and price a few days later. As far as I know,
> there is no official release date or price.
>
> This is, of course, typical Nikon.

NikonUSA says

"Retail availability of the D2X will begin in January, 2005. Please check
back for a list of authorized Nikon dealers in your area."

I just checked their web site a few seconds ago.

C J Campbell

"TAFKAB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41e14764$0$76931$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Nikon did post a 2/25 release date with a price just under $5K (US), but
> then pulled both the date and price a few days later. As far as I know,
> there is no official release date or price.

OTOH, several people on DP Review have said that they have received an email
that the camera will be released on Feb 25 and that the price will be
announced in January, 30 days before that.

Nikon is still saying that they will produce 8,000 bodies per month.

Secretive chaps.

C J Campbell

"C J Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "TAFKAB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41e14764$0$76931$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > Nikon did post a 2/25 release date with a price just under $5K (US), but
> > then pulled both the date and price a few days later. As far as I know,
> > there is no official release date or price.
> >
> > This is, of course, typical Nikon.
> >

> NikonUSA says
>
> "Retail availability of the D2X will begin in January, 2005. Please check
> back for a list of authorized Nikon dealers in your area."

Of course, "retail availability" means that you can order one and have a
reasonably accurate idea of how much it will cost and when it will be
delivered. So "retail availability" in January is consistent with a February
ship date.

BandHPhoto

>I thought the Nikon D2x was to be release on January 5th, 2005?

The opening story at <http://www.robgalbraith.com/> is on this topic. Title is,
"D2X price and release date information pulled from Nikon USA web site."
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

C J Campbell

"BandHPhoto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I thought the Nikon D2x was to be release on January 5th, 2005?

> The opening story at <http://www.robgalbraith.com/> is on this topic.

Title is,
> "D2X price and release date information pulled from Nikon USA web site."

Heck, it was only there for a couple days. Nikon USA obviously posted it
prematurely. If Nikon's marketing plan is to release the camera on Feb 25
and announce the price 30 days before that, it does not do to have Nikon USA
to go letting the cat out of the bag. OTOH, maybe it was deliberate.

My take is that Nikon has dealt fairly straightforwardly on the matter, but
reading all the conspiracy theories about this or that delay, information
appearing and disappearing, etc., well, I am sure Oliver Stone could make a
great movie about it.