Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon FD to digital EOS mount converter

Canon FD to digital EOS mount converter

Gautam Majumdar

I understand that such a gadget is available. Anyone knows of any
photography shops in UK that can supply this thing ?

Thanks

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Siddhartha Jain

Gautam Majumdar wrote:
> I understand that such a gadget is available. Anyone knows of any
> photography shops in UK that can supply this thing ?

Did you try eBay? Several sellers offering the FD-to-EOS adapter for
$80-$100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...865052933&rd=1
HTH,

Siddhartha

mike nelson

Adorama in the US has this item for $39.00. Looks just like the ones on
E-bay but at about half the price. I have two of them, and they work just
fine. They do have a lens in them (to preserve infinity focus), but it is
easily removed if you desire.

"Gautam Majumdar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZQRDd.75729$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>I understand that such a gadget is available. Anyone knows of any
> photography shops in UK that can supply this thing ?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>
> Gautam Majumdar
>
> Please send e-mails to (E-Mail Removed)

Siddhartha Jain

mike nelson wrote:
> Adorama in the US has this item for $39.00. Looks just like the ones

on
> E-bay but at about half the price. I have two of them, and they work

just
> fine. They do have a lens in them (to preserve infinity focus), but

it is
> easily removed if you desire.

The ones on eBay for $95 have an optical element whereas the one
Adorama's selling has none. Can you tell me whats the difference
between the two?

- Siddhartha

Nick Fotis

Note that this is a 3rd party adapter, with not necessarily the best
quality results.

There was a very rare Canon fd-eos adapter too, which sells form 400+
USD in Ebay.
Do not confuse it with the Canon *macro* FD-EOS adapter, this one does
not permit focus at infinity.

Look for more information in these pages:
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...focus_EOS.html
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nses/fdeos.htm

It sounds ridiculous, but it's actually easier to adapt Nikon manual
focus lenses to Canon EOS bodies than Canon manual focus lenses...

Regards from Athens, Greece.
Nick Fotis

Jan

* Gautam Majumdar wrote:
> I understand that such a gadget is available. Anyone knows of any
> photography shops in UK that can supply this thing ?

The FD system has a shorter distance between the lens
mount and the film plane than Canons new EF mount. Thus,
an FD-lens to EF-mount converter
-either does not allow focussing the entire range (no sharp
image at far distances),
-or needs an optical correction element.

Cheap converters of the latter type result in substantially
reduced image quality.
If you don't need to focus to infinity with your FD lenses
(i.e. in macro photography), get a cheap glassless converter
(sometimes referred to as an "FD-EOS macro ring"). If you have
very special and expensive FD glasses like tilt and shifts or
"white" telephotos then get an expensive optical converter
from Canon (probably out of production now so you have to
search for a used one).
In all other cases: Forget about using your FD lenses with
an EF camera.

Frank ess

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> mike nelson wrote:
>> Adorama in the US has this item for $39.00. Looks just like the
>> ones on E-bay but at about half the price. I have two of them, and
>> they work just fine. They do have a lens in them (to preserve
>> infinity focus), but it is easily removed if you desire.

> The ones on eBay for $95 have an optical element whereas the one
> Adorama's selling has none. Can you tell me whats the difference
> between the two?

CZFDEOSA Adorama Canon FD Lens to EOS Body Adapter 39.95
Has a lens in it.

I think such a thing would interfere with the back of the new EF-S
lenses. Wouldn't it?

--
Frank ess

news

Hi All:

The Adorama lens mount converter does have a 2 element lens in it. I needed
to mount my Digital Rebel on my bellows FD. Because I was unable to find one
with out lens, I removed the lens. It worked just fine for my 10x to 20x
macro photos. The New York Times and Scientific American in the last 2
months have published pictures I took with it. I found the build quality not
very good. The lever that was supposed to stop down the FD lens worked
poorly and was a struggle to use. Of course none of that mattered on the
bellows but it was not fun to use on camera with a normal lens setup. I
bought a second one from a local camera store "made" by Samigon. Its much
better build quality than the Adorama and cost $45. I've used it with my
FD-100mm macro lens and all the levers and controls working very smoothly. I
think the picture quality is just fine for my pictures. I'm sure it cost me
something in picture quality but it's not very noticeable and it does give
my the ability to use some of the large collection of FD lens I have.
If you need to focus to infinity, the lens are required, if your only doing
close up work like I am then the lens is not needed.

--
John Passaneau, W3JXP
State College, PA

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Siddhartha Jain wrote:
>> mike nelson wrote:
>>> Adorama in the US has this item for $39.00. Looks just like the
>>> ones on E-bay but at about half the price. I have two of them, and
>>> they work just fine. They do have a lens in them (to preserve
>>> infinity focus), but it is easily removed if you desire.

>> The ones on eBay for $95 have an optical element whereas the one
>> Adorama's selling has none. Can you tell me whats the difference
>> between the two?
>>

> CZFDEOSA Adorama Canon FD Lens to EOS Body Adapter 39.95
> Has a lens in it.
>
> I think such a thing would interfere with the back of the new EF-S lenses.
> Wouldn't it?
>

> --
> Frank ess

Skip M

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Siddhartha Jain wrote:
>> mike nelson wrote:
>>> Adorama in the US has this item for $39.00. Looks just like the
>>> ones on E-bay but at about half the price. I have two of them, and
>>> they work just fine. They do have a lens in them (to preserve
>>> infinity focus), but it is easily removed if you desire.

>> The ones on eBay for $95 have an optical element whereas the one
>> Adorama's selling has none. Can you tell me whats the difference
>> between the two?
>>

> CZFDEOSA Adorama Canon FD Lens to EOS Body Adapter 39.95
> Has a lens in it.
>
> I think such a thing would interfere with the back of the new EF-S lenses.
> Wouldn't it?
>

> --
> Frank ess

In more ways than one. It's for mounting an FD mount lens on an EF mount
camera, the EF-S lenses wouldn't mount, in the first place...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com