Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Energizer CH30MN charger fails AAA batteries

Energizer CH30MN charger fails AAA batteries

John Doe

I have had the inexpensive Energizer CH30MN AA and AAA NiMH battery
charger since March 2004. It charges AA batteries OK, but not AAA
batteries. Apparently if the AAA batteries are not fully discharged,
the charger won't work. Maybe it is getting worse. You insert a AAA
battery in one of the four slots, wait a few seconds until the light
starts flashing to tell you that it's not going to work. So you take it
out and insert it in another slot, and wait until the blinking starts
again. And so on. I just bought the Duracell CEF80NC version which
takes one hour instead of 30 minutes, but Glory Be if it works. It
charges individual AA and AAA batteries as well.

Energizer might have replaced the prior model CH30MN, prefixing "CP4"
to the part number.

Rudy Benner

"John Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have had the inexpensive Energizer CH30MN AA and AAA NiMH battery
> charger since March 2004. It charges AA batteries OK, but not AAA
> batteries. Apparently if the AAA batteries are not fully discharged,
> the charger won't work. Maybe it is getting worse. You insert a AAA
> battery in one of the four slots, wait a few seconds until the light
> starts flashing to tell you that it's not going to work. So you take it
> out and insert it in another slot, and wait until the blinking starts
> again. And so on. I just bought the Duracell CEF80NC version which
> takes one hour instead of 30 minutes, but Glory Be if it works. It
> charges individual AA and AAA batteries as well.
>
> Energizer might have replaced the prior model CH30MN, prefixing "CP4"
> to the part number.

Funny you should mention that, I was pretending that it wasn't happening,
that I was hallucinating again. Once in a while, it acts up on a perfectly
good battery. Taking it out and putting it back in eventually makes it
happy. Must be female......

John Doe

"Rudy Benner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Funny you should mention that, I was pretending that it wasn't
>happening, that I was hallucinating again. Once in a while, it acts
>up on a perfectly good battery. Taking it out and putting it back
>in eventually makes it happy.

Apparently a physically and electrically bad design. Besides not
being able to charge my AAA batteries, the Energizer CH30MN thirty
minute charger tore them up physically too.

I bought the Duracell one hour charger at Wal-Mart USA for $25. I am
really enjoying the fact that it works.

--
Thanks for the confirmation.