Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony (DSC-P93 specifically) and Infrared Photos - Possible or not ?

Sony (DSC-P93 specifically) and Infrared Photos - Possible or not ?

photoguy

Hi there everyone !

I did the simple (remote control) test to check whether my digicam can
"see" Infrared and it passed the test with flying colours. However, when I
try taking pictures (using a Hoya 25A (Red) Filter I do not seem to get
any of the "surreal/other wordly" effects that are supposedly associated
with IR pictures. Is this because Sony has deliberately "disabled" some
portion of the light spectrum that the CCD can see, or is it because I am
using the wrong filter - maybe I do need the Hoya R72 after all ?

Interestingly, I happened upon a website (of some company) which modifies
a bunch of cameras (Sony DSC-P93 being one of them) to be able to see
below 330 nm and somewere above 1000nm. I guess they wouldn't be doing
that for nothing, right ?

Any thoughts/suggestions ? I was also thinking of returning the Sony and
maybe going in for a Canon Powershot A80/85 or S50/60. Anyone tried any of
these out for IR ?

Thanks.

Darrell

I can try at the store tommorrow, I have an 87C filter. Canons seem to use
an IR block filter, so they are out.

"photoguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) lkaboutphotography.com...
> Hi there everyone !
>
> I did the simple (remote control) test to check whether my digicam can
> "see" Infrared and it passed the test with flying colours. However, when I
> try taking pictures (using a Hoya 25A (Red) Filter I do not seem to get
> any of the "surreal/other wordly" effects that are supposedly associated
> with IR pictures. Is this because Sony has deliberately "disabled" some
> portion of the light spectrum that the CCD can see, or is it because I am
> using the wrong filter - maybe I do need the Hoya R72 after all ?
>
> Interestingly, I happened upon a website (of some company) which modifies
> a bunch of cameras (Sony DSC-P93 being one of them) to be able to see
> below 330 nm and somewere above 1000nm. I guess they wouldn't be doing
> that for nothing, right ?
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions ? I was also thinking of returning the Sony and
> maybe going in for a Canon Powershot A80/85 or S50/60. Anyone tried any of
> these out for IR ?
>
> Thanks.

chrlz@go.com

Yes, you will need an R72 to get the weird foliage effects, etc - with
a normal red filter about all you will see is darker skies and slightly
cleaner skins.. The fact that the camera sees an IR remote !isn't! all
that good an indication of how good it will be at real IR imaging. In
fact if the camera doesn't have 'night-shot' capabilities (where the IR
filter is swung out of the optical path), you will probably find
IR-imaging frustrating (long exposure times, no view of actual image,
difficulties with AF, etc)

If a company is offering to 'enable' that cameras IR ability, then they
presumably will remove the IR filter. That suggests the IR filter is
permanently in place, and maybe your camera isn't the best choice for
this usage (unless you are going to go ahead with exactly that
process..).

I've used Sony nightshot cameras for this, using an R72 and an ND4/ND8
to reduce daylight IR levels down to a usable level, and it works well.

photoguy

Thanks for your reply...and just a thing or two more ;

1. Which Sony cameras have you used and got IR results, and did you
absolutely have to use the Neutral Density filters (along with the R72) to
get the desired results ? I thought Sony had disabled the IR features on
all their cameras/camcorders because they were able to "see through"
clothes.

2. Did you know whether the Canon Powershot's (S50, A85/A95 specifically)
are good at IR imaging ?

3. Does the camera have to have a minimum shutter speed (such as 8 secs or
15 secs) in order to be able to expose with a R72 and ND filter in front
of the lens ?

Later

Rudy Benner

Canon A85. I just pointed the remote for the TV at the camera, took a
picture and yes, it does see the IR beam from the remote.

"photoguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) lkaboutphotography.com...
> Thanks for your reply...and just a thing or two more ;
>
> 1. Which Sony cameras have you used and got IR results, and did you
> absolutely have to use the Neutral Density filters (along with the R72) to
> get the desired results ? I thought Sony had disabled the IR features on
> all their cameras/camcorders because they were able to "see through"
> clothes.
>
> 2. Did you know whether the Canon Powershot's (S50, A85/A95 specifically)
> are good at IR imaging ?
>
> 3. Does the camera have to have a minimum shutter speed (such as 8 secs or
> 15 secs) in order to be able to expose with a R72 and ND filter in front
> of the lens ?
>
> Later

Rudy Benner

When I look at the expanded histogram after close cropping of just the IR
spot, it seems that the camera sees it as white, with some cyan fringing. ?

"Rudy Benner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Canon A85. I just pointed the remote for the TV at the camera, took a
> picture and yes, it does see the IR beam from the remote.
>
> "photoguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) lkaboutphotography.com...
>> Thanks for your reply...and just a thing or two more ;
>>
>> 1. Which Sony cameras have you used and got IR results, and did you
>> absolutely have to use the Neutral Density filters (along with the R72)
>> get the desired results ? I thought Sony had disabled the IR features on
>> all their cameras/camcorders because they were able to "see through"
>> clothes.
>>
>> 2. Did you know whether the Canon Powershot's (S50, A85/A95 specifically)
>> are good at IR imaging ?
>>
>> 3. Does the camera have to have a minimum shutter speed (such as 8 secs
>> or
>> 15 secs) in order to be able to expose with a R72 and ND filter in front
>> of the lens ?
>>
>> Later

photoguy

Well, as Chriz said in his reply...the remote test is not sufficient to
indicate whether or not a camera can take IR photos. You also need to add
a R72 filter in front of the lens and then take a picture of some (green)
foliage to see whether you get the weird IR effects.

On my Sony DSC-P93 I did see the "white dot" from a TV remote, but didn't
get "real" IR pictures when I used a 25A (Red) filter and clicked some
houses/evergreen trees thru my window.

chrlz@go.com

I've used both the F717 and F828 (lucky me!).

1. Hmm. Would you believe I don't recall ever actually trying just
using the ND's and shooting without the R72 in Nightshot!? Next time I
play with the 828 (it's a work camera) I might try it out, but I'm
pretty sure the IR effect would be virtually eliminated due to the
lower sensitivity at those freq's, compared to ordinary light. Yes,
Sony did disable Nightshot on their videos, largely because of media
hype I think, although I think one particular model was VERY sensitive
to IR. The ability to see though fabrics is very weak indeed... er..
not that I've ever tried... (O: (thinks - I wonder if they still make
those XRay glasses from old comics..?)

2. Don't know.

3. Both Sony's won't go quicker than 1/60 (?) in Nightshot mode, which
is why you need the ND's as well as the R72. In daylight, the images
are completely overexposed without the ND's, and you would run a high
risk of damaging the CCD..

Anyway, for daylit shots, hand-held shots are eminently possible, and
in fact I got some of my best results on quite overcast days, no
tripod...