Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Compact Flash Cards - what is fast enough

Compact Flash Cards - what is fast enough

cambium

These new cards have write speeds of 12 mb/second. (80X). It seems that
the compressed video stream for the cameras goes at maybe 2 - 3 mb/second.
Other than that, is it just about download times? If so, is there any other
bottleneck that will limit the download below the speed of these fast cards?

Thanks for any replies.

Phil Stripling

"cambium" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> These new cards have write speeds of 12 mb/second. (80X). It seems that
> the compressed video stream for the cameras goes at maybe 2 - 3 mb/second.
> Other than that, is it just about download times? If so, is there any other
> bottleneck that will limit the download below the speed of these fast cards?

See
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Some cameras do benefit from the faster write times, although whether the
time saves is worth the cost is a matter of personal taste and probably
testosterone.

I don't download images from the camera. I use a firewire CF reader
connected to the computer. Having faster download times for several cards
when the files are big and the cards hold a gig does tend to be noticeable,
although not really significant.

Ron Hunter

Phil Stripling wrote:
> "cambium" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>These new cards have write speeds of 12 mb/second. (80X). It seems that
>>the compressed video stream for the cameras goes at maybe 2 - 3 mb/second.
>>Other than that, is it just about download times? If so, is there any other
>>bottleneck that will limit the download below the speed of these fast cards?

> See
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
>
> Some cameras do benefit from the faster write times, although whether the
> time saves is worth the cost is a matter of personal taste and probably
> testosterone.
>
> I don't download images from the camera. I use a firewire CF reader
> connected to the computer. Having faster download times for several cards
> when the files are big and the cards hold a gig does tend to be noticeable,
> although not really significant.

For a pro, or serious amateur, downloading a lot of cards with large RAW
files on it can amount to a lot of time waiting.

Arthur Small

The size of your cameras buffer.

Phil Stripling

Uh huh.