Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cleaning print heads on a Canon i950?

Cleaning print heads on a Canon i950?

chasm@texas.net

jean wrote:

> After two heads going bad, I
>may just go and get something else like an Epson

don't bother, I have a Stylus Color 900 I am ready to throw in the trash.
I cannot get this verdampt thing to clean at all and this following its
instructions and cleaning its wiping foam pad, etc.

I have an HP 7550 photosmart which prints beautiful pictures at least as good as
a friend's Epson 2200 (I cannot tell the diff) and it has been sitting idle for
the two years I have been using the Canon (unwrapped both at the same time and
set them on separate shelves above my LCD monitor) but never used it.

I am really tickled with it but it is showing some signs of skipping too.
This is why I am waiting for fall 2006 or earlier for color lasers to drop in
price and rise in quality of output. once I can get a picture as good as my
7550 prints at 8x10 and costs ~$500, I am gone from inkjets.

fwiw
chas

jean

Well, I am going cheap, I bought an Epson R200 for $140 - $40 mail-in
rebate. It has 6 colors so it should do OK for proofs (I have not set it up
yet). Any pictures I wat printer for keeps from now on will be done at the
photolab, with all the money I have spent on printers which crapped out, my
prints from the photolab would have ended up much cheaper. It's probably
even cheaper to watch for sales and buy a new printer instead of buying new
cartriges when they run out.

The only good thing about the HPs (and Lexmark) is that the heads come with
the cartriges which are impossible to refill I have been told.

Jean

<(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> jean wrote:
>
> > After two heads going bad, I
> >may just go and get something else like an Epson

> don't bother, I have a Stylus Color 900 I am ready to throw in the trash.
> I cannot get this verdampt thing to clean at all and this following its
> instructions and cleaning its wiping foam pad, etc.
>
> I have an HP 7550 photosmart which prints beautiful pictures at least as

good as
> a friend's Epson 2200 (I cannot tell the diff) and it has been sitting

idle for
> the two years I have been using the Canon (unwrapped both at the same time

and
> set them on separate shelves above my LCD monitor) but never used it.
>
> I am really tickled with it but it is showing some signs of skipping too.
> This is why I am waiting for fall 2006 or earlier for color lasers to drop

in
> price and rise in quality of output. once I can get a picture as good as

my
> 7550 prints at 8x10 and costs ~$500, I am gone from inkjets.
>
> fwiw
> chas

Bob Bailin

"jean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RVlDd.61761$P%(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Bob Bailin" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:crjqmv$m2v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "jean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:NKcDd.48798$P%(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > >
> > > "Keith Sheppard" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> > > news:ht8Dd.36$(E-Mail Removed)...

there
> > are

> consumer

price
> > of

> Gary's
> > >
> > > I know, I missed the post christmas sales for a new printer at $99

while
> > > print head is way more expensive than that. My old BJC8200's print

head
> > > went bad, replacement cost of the head was only a few dollars less

than
> > > new printer, that is why I bought the i950. After two heads going

bad,
> > > may just go and get something else like an Epson. I liked the fact

the
> > > Canon printers had separate ink tanks but if the heads don't last that

> > long,
> > > then it's a bad criteria for choosing a printer.

> > Just went thru the same thing with my friend's i950. Cleaning in

distilled
> > water, the only practical solution, only made things worse. A new

> printhead
> > is $85; a new i950 or i960 is only slightly more expensive, about

> $125-150,
> > and you get 6 new ink cartridges to boot.
> >
> > I can't complain, however, because over the past couple of years, the
> > savings
> > we've achieved due to the separate ink tanks more than made up for the
> > price of a new printhead. But since my friend's photo printing

> requirements
> > have become more critical, we're going with a new i9900 instead.

> Eventually,
> > I'll get a new printhead if I can find one more cheaply on Ebay. As for

> the
> > new i9900, we're also getting an extended 3-yr warranty from Canon for

> $135,
> > essentially pre-paying for the printhead that will eventually need
> > replacement
> > on this one, too.

> The extended warranty I was offered on my i950 did not cover the heads
> otherwise I would have taken it.
>
> Jean

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't bother to read the fine print of
the
warranty agreement, so I didn't see the clause that considers the printhead
to be a non-covered, consumable item (even if it is 25% of the cost of the
entire printer!).

Fortunately, there's a 30-day cancellation option that I'll probably use.
Other than the printhead, nothing ever went amiss with the i950, and I
expect the i9900 to act the same.

Bob

Ron Hunter

jean wrote:
> Well, I am going cheap, I bought an Epson R200 for $140 - $40 mail-in
> rebate. It has 6 colors so it should do OK for proofs (I have not set it up
> yet). Any pictures I wat printer for keeps from now on will be done at the
> photolab, with all the money I have spent on printers which crapped out, my
> prints from the photolab would have ended up much cheaper. It's probably
> even cheaper to watch for sales and buy a new printer instead of buying new
> cartriges when they run out.
>
> The only good thing about the HPs (and Lexmark) is that the heads come with
> the cartriges which are impossible to refill I have been told.
>
> Jean
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>jean wrote

Don't know about 'impossible to refill', but my attempts a few years ago
to refill HP cartridges (something a friend has done for years) were met
with less than 50% success rate, and abandoned as a bad cause.
Fortunately, I don't print a lot, so the cost of cartridges is an annual
cost, and I buy at Sam's Wholesale Club, and my wife has a printer that
uses the same cartridge set as mine. Last time I needed cartridges, I
just bought a referbed printer, with carts. for less than the price of
two carts. My 'christmas printer' came with 'starter cartridges', which
will probably last me 6 months. At this level of usage, refilling just
doesn't make sense, even if possible.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Gary Eickmeier

Bob Bailin wrote:

> Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't bother to read the fine print of
> the
> warranty agreement, so I didn't see the clause that considers the printhead
> to be a non-covered, consumable item (even if it is 25% of the cost of the
> entire printer!).
>
> Fortunately, there's a 30-day cancellation option that I'll probably use.
> Other than the printhead, nothing ever went amiss with the i950, and I
> expect the i9900 to act the same.

I got a no-questions-asked walk-in warranty when I bought my i950. The
question of the cause of the problem would not even come up at the
returns counter. But I haven't had to use it yet, because any banding I
have seen in my prints was able to be corrected with nozzle checks,
cleaning, and head alignment.

Gary Eickmeier