Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 20D Firmware Upgrade

Reply
Thread Tools

20D Firmware Upgrade

 
 
Lester Wareham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
Has anyone had problems doing the firmware upgrade for the 20D to 1.1.0?

I am currently at 1.0.5.

Cheers


Lester


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
C Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
On 1/5/05 12:48 PM, in article 41dc367f$0$21319$(E-Mail Removed),
"Lester Wareham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anyone had problems doing the firmware upgrade for the 20D to 1.1.0?
>
> I am currently at 1.0.5.
>
> Cheers
>
>
> Lester
>
>

No problems here!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Skip M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
"C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
news:BE01949A.13658%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com. ..
> On 1/5/05 12:48 PM, in article 41dc367f$0$21319$(E-Mail Removed),
> "Lester Wareham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had problems doing the firmware upgrade for the 20D to 1.1.0?
>>
>> I am currently at 1.0.5.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>>
>> Lester
>>
>>

> No problems here!
>


Have you seen any obvious difference in overall performance? IIRC, it's
just supposed to fix the banding issue, which isn't an issue for me, and add
a couple of languages to the mix. I didn't do the upgrade, since, by the
description, it doesn't add anything to what I do. Should I have?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Redelfs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
In article <UMYCd.40186$8e5.30133@fed1read07>,
"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > No problems here!


> Have you seen any obvious difference in overall performance? IIRC, it's
> just supposed to fix the banding issue, which isn't an issue for me, and add
> a couple of languages to the mix. I didn't do the upgrade, since, by the
> description, it doesn't add anything to what I do.


The day I got my 20D (Dec 9) I downloaded and installed updates to everything
that came with the camera - including the camera - so I can't comment on any
performance improvement.

> Should I have?


That's hard to say - until the NEXT firmware update (if any) is released. If
Canon is true to form, you SHOULD be able to SKIP an interim update. If not,
well...


JR
 
Reply With Quote
 
C Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
On 1/5/05 3:14 PM, in article UMYCd.40186$8e5.30133@fed1read07, "Skip M"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> Have you seen any obvious difference in overall performance? IIRC, it's
> just supposed to fix the banding issue, which isn't an issue for me, and add
> a couple of languages to the mix. I didn't do the upgrade, since, by the
> description, it doesn't add anything to what I do. Should I have?


I ran 1.0.5 version for about 6 weeks before upgrading to 1.1 and quite
frankly I do not see any improvement over 1.0.5 (I did not have any trouble
with the banding issue either). At the same time I have not noticed any
negatives to the 1.1 version. Last week, while running v. 1.1, my 20D got
quite a workout doing indoor flash and available light plus a lot of outdoor
work with no troubles what so ever.
Chuck


 
Reply With Quote
 
Fitpix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005

"C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
news:BE01E9CF.136B7%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com. ..
> On 1/5/05 3:14 PM, in article UMYCd.40186$8e5.30133@fed1read07, "Skip M"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>> Have you seen any obvious difference in overall performance? IIRC, it's
>> just supposed to fix the banding issue, which isn't an issue for me, and
>> add
>> a couple of languages to the mix. I didn't do the upgrade, since, by the
>> description, it doesn't add anything to what I do. Should I have?

>
> I ran 1.0.5 version for about 6 weeks before upgrading to 1.1 and quite
> frankly I do not see any improvement over 1.0.5 (I did not have any
> trouble
> with the banding issue either). At the same time I have not noticed any
> negatives to the 1.1 version. Last week, while running v. 1.1, my 20D got
> quite a workout doing indoor flash and available light plus a lot of
> outdoor
> work with no troubles what so ever.
> Chuck
>
>

I may give this upgrade a try......only banding I get is LONG IR exposures
at high ISO (45 plus seconds at 800-3200)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Musty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005

"Lester Wareham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41dc367f$0$21319$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone had problems doing the firmware upgrade for the 20D to 1.1.0?
>
> I am currently at 1.0.5.
>
> Cheers
>
>
> Lester
>
>

Did it. Worked like a charm. Just make sure to have the lens removed for
this one.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Skip M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
"C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
news:BE01E9CF.136B7%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com. ..
> On 1/5/05 3:14 PM, in article UMYCd.40186$8e5.30133@fed1read07, "Skip M"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>> Have you seen any obvious difference in overall performance? IIRC, it's
>> just supposed to fix the banding issue, which isn't an issue for me, and
>> add
>> a couple of languages to the mix. I didn't do the upgrade, since, by the
>> description, it doesn't add anything to what I do. Should I have?

>
> I ran 1.0.5 version for about 6 weeks before upgrading to 1.1 and quite
> frankly I do not see any improvement over 1.0.5 (I did not have any
> trouble
> with the banding issue either). At the same time I have not noticed any
> negatives to the 1.1 version. Last week, while running v. 1.1, my 20D got
> quite a workout doing indoor flash and available light plus a lot of
> outdoor
> work with no troubles what so ever.
> Chuck
>
>

Just wondering, because at the last wedding we shot, my wife's 20D had about
6 lockups of the full-on-take-the-battery-out-and-reboot type, not just your
garden variety off-and-on or Err99 type. We're running the 1.0.5 firmware.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Capture Boy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005

"Musty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3v1Dd.528$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Lester Wareham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41dc367f$0$21319$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Has anyone had problems doing the firmware upgrade for the 20D to 1.1.0?
>>
>> I am currently at 1.0.5.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>>
>> Lester
>>
>>

> Did it. Worked like a charm. Just make sure to have the lens removed for
> this one.
>
>


Providing you follow the instructions with the update there should be no
problems, I've updated mine and had no issues with it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
C Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
On 1/5/05 10:14 PM, in article aW2Dd.40712$8e5.22423@fed1read07, "Skip M"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
> news:BE01E9CF.136B7%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com. ..
>> On 1/5/05 3:14 PM, in article UMYCd.40186$8e5.30133@fed1read07, "Skip M"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Have you seen any obvious difference in overall performance? IIRC, it's
>>> just supposed to fix the banding issue, which isn't an issue for me, and
>>> add
>>> a couple of languages to the mix. I didn't do the upgrade, since, by the
>>> description, it doesn't add anything to what I do. Should I have?

>>
>> I ran 1.0.5 version for about 6 weeks before upgrading to 1.1 and quite
>> frankly I do not see any improvement over 1.0.5 (I did not have any
>> trouble
>> with the banding issue either). At the same time I have not noticed any
>> negatives to the 1.1 version. Last week, while running v. 1.1, my 20D got
>> quite a workout doing indoor flash and available light plus a lot of
>> outdoor
>> work with no troubles what so ever.
>> Chuck
>>
>>

> Just wondering, because at the last wedding we shot, my wife's 20D had about
> 6 lockups of the full-on-take-the-battery-out-and-reboot type, not just your
> garden variety off-and-on or Err99 type. We're running the 1.0.5 firmware.


I have had no issues with that problem with either 1.0.5 or 1.1.0. I thought
1.0.5 was supposed to fix that one? I always try to remember to turn my
camera off when changing lenses - don't know if that would have anything to
do with your wife's problem or not.
Chuck

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon 20D Firmware Upgrade V2.0.0 Russell Digital Photography 11 05-19-2005 02:04 AM
EOS 20D Firmware Upgrade Leith Cassone Digital Photography 6 05-14-2005 12:39 AM
Canon 20D firmware upgrade Carol R Digital Photography 0 10-09-2004 07:38 PM
Quick toshiba PDR 3300 question "to Flash firmware or not flash firmware"? upgrade neccessary? Dean Reno Digital Photography 0 07-30-2004 05:46 AM
Quick toshiba PDR 3300 question "to Flash firmware or not flash firmware"? upgrade neccessary? Dean Reno Digital Photography 0 07-30-2004 05:46 AM



Advertisments