Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Seems funny...

Seems funny...

BG250

With film, I'd shoot with cheap used manual cameras. I had cheap Ricoh
bodies with lenses I purchased from ebay for under $100. It worked. I looked
at AF bodies over $600 and said, "no way would I spend that kind of cash".
Enter digital. I think it was $500 I spent on the Epson photoPC in '96. $900
on the 2mp Kodak DC260 in '99 The dRebel is introduced at $1,000 with lens.
Seems a no brainer, so I bought one.

Just seems funny when put into perspective. Still have the Ricoh XR-7 with
motor winder and autoflash. Don't get used much now!
bg

emski

> Just seems funny when put into perspective. Still have the Ricoh XR-7 with
> motor winder and autoflash. Don't get used much now!

and you looking on passing cars and think ...no way, I have to spent 20K to
by such a crap ? let's take a walk )
mark

Fyimo

I really thought that the DSLR market wouldn't move much until the
prices of DSLR bodies came down to where similar film bodies were
priced. Boy was I wrong as people are buying the 10D and now the 20D
like they are candy and willing to pay at least twice as much as for a
similar film bodies in terms of build quality and features.
I know because I have one

Art

bob

"Fyimo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1104937488.526927.245820
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I really thought that the DSLR market wouldn't move much until the
> prices of DSLR bodies came down to where similar film bodies were
> priced. Boy was I wrong

[snip]

I think another variable that people consider is the cost of film and
processing.

But what value can you place on being able to edit the photos?

Bob

Fyimo

I never thought I would say this after only two months of shooting
digital with a 20D & 10D but I never will shoot film again. I gave away
a bunch of film last week to my daughter and I will be giving the rest
away in the near future.
I love digital and I take way more pictures then I did with film. I
spend a lot more time analyzing the pictures as I work on them in
Photoshop then I did looking at the pictures when they came back from
the film lab.
I guess I will keep my Canon 1N only because they aren't worth anything
anymore. I'll keep it like I did my record player that I use to impress
my grandkids. yes sound actually did come from that black pieces of
vinyl. I suspect film will be like the vinyl record in the near future.
Art

Allodoxaphobia

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:55:31 -0500, BG250 wrote:
> With film, I'd shoot with cheap used manual cameras. I had cheap Ricoh
> bodies with lenses I purchased from ebay for under $100. It worked. I looked
> at AF bodies over $600 and said, "no way would I spend that kind of cash".
> Enter digital. I think it was $500 I spent on the Epson photoPC in '96. $900
> on the 2mp Kodak DC260 in '99 The dRebel is introduced at $1,000 with lens.
> Seems a no brainer, so I bought one.
>
> Just seems funny when put into perspective.

Well, the 'perspective' is: The $300 (IIRC) that I paid for
a 35MM SLR back in 1963 is approx. $4000 now.
(I figure inflation = 2X every decade...)

Jonesy

Fyimo

Yea, but the Pro film camera body the Canon 1V with power winder sells
for $1800 today and the top of the line Canon digital sells for $8,000.
I think there is a differential for digital and it would take a lot of
savings for film and processing to save 6K.
We are paying Pro camera prices as compared to film for consumer level
camera bodies in terms of build quality, weather sealing, and less then
full size 35mm sensor.
I love my 20D but it's not built like my Canon 1N film camera. I'm just
saying that if all was equal a 20D should cost as much as the EOS 3 did
not nearly twice as much.

Art

20k? I wish most cars were this price.

"emski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZWRCd.10954$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > Just seems funny when put into perspective. Still have the Ricoh XR-7

with
> > motor winder and autoflash. Don't get used much now!

> and you looking on passing cars and think ...no way, I have to spent 20K

> by such a crap ? let's take a walk )
> mark

Lester Wareham

This is an interesting point.

I love my 20D but I wonder how solid EOS cameras and EF lenses are compared
to the FD versions (mind you I only have one decent EF lens the other being
the 18-55 kit lens).

Both my FTb and A1 feel a lot more solid, and the old FD lenses too.

I guess this is because metal is much more obvious in construction, modern
plastics can have very high performance.

It would be interesting to see some "I dropped my equipment.." / "..used my
camera to fight off a rabid dog" and it worked fine stories.

Cheers

Lester

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...