Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Capture-One For Windows 3.6 - 10 Days & Counting

Capture-One For Windows 3.6 - 10 Days & Counting

Harry J

The much awaited Capture One for Windows version 3.6 is due out in 10 days,
on January 15, 2005. Does anyone actually believe they will make this date,
or are they going to push back the release again, as they have four times
already?

Roberto T

The folks at Capture One have taught us all a valuable lesson----- you can't
keep all your eggs in one basket. You need to have at least two available
programs for doing raw conversions, particularly if you use your equipment
for income-producing revenue. Most of us who counted on Capture One and
their many broken promises and unfulfilled delivery dates have long since
installed a second program for raw conversions-- some are using Canon's
proprietary software bundles and others have moved on to Bibble,
Breeze-Browser and the like. I'll be counting down the days til January 15
along with thousands of others, but let's get real here-- the odds of
actually seeing delivery of this product on that date is not in our favor.

"Harry J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The much awaited Capture One for Windows version 3.6 is due out in 10

days,
> on January 15, 2005. Does anyone actually believe they will make this

date,
> or are they going to push back the release again, as they have four times
> already?

Ryadia

"Harry J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The much awaited Capture One for Windows version 3.6 is due out in 10

days,
> on January 15, 2005. Does anyone actually believe they will make this

date,
> or are they going to push back the release again, as they have four times
> already?

You guys are unbelievable...
If they had done the Canon thing and released a faulty product just "keep
faith" with you lamers, you'd have screamed long and loud about a dud
product. They didn't. They saw fit to fix whatever it is that makes it
unstable/not work or whatever and hold off releasing the product until they
are good and ready. Congratulation, I say.

Doug

Harvey

"Ryadia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6dOCd.104454$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Harry J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The much awaited Capture One for Windows version 3.6 is due out in 10

> days,
> > on January 15, 2005. Does anyone actually believe they will make this

> date,
> > or are they going to push back the release again, as they have four

times
> > already?
> >

> You guys are unbelievable...
> If they had done the Canon thing and released a faulty product just "keep
> faith" with you lamers, you'd have screamed long and loud about a dud
> product. They didn't. They saw fit to fix whatever it is that makes it
> unstable/not work or whatever and hold off releasing the product until

they
> are good and ready. Congratulation, I say.
>
> Doug

Bullfarb. Why are you congratulating them for not releasing a defective
product? Do you congratulate an automobile company for not releasing a
truck with defective tires? Of course not. You expect the truck to work.
By missing four release dates they have shown their inability to predict
software development cycles. They are trying to keep you on the hook so you
do not jump to a competitor. This is a short-term strategy that builds
distrust of their management.

Roberto T

Hey Doug:

Come on, every release in the past year and a half has had more bugs than
previous releases-- so would it matter anyway? The big deal with this
release is that it was supposed to support a major new camera, the Canon
20D, and that Phase One has been promising this support since the end of
October. They already skipped four projected dates and left persons who
prepaid for updates high and dry, especially the ones the use their
equipment to earn income. It would have been better for them to come out
with the support in a buggy version (since every version is buggy anyway),
than not have the support at all for so long.

"Ryadia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6dOCd.104454$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Harry J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The much awaited Capture One for Windows version 3.6 is due out in 10

> days,
> > on January 15, 2005. Does anyone actually believe they will make this

> date,
> > or are they going to push back the release again, as they have four

times
> > already?
> >

> You guys are unbelievable...
> If they had done the Canon thing and released a faulty product just "keep
> faith" with you lamers, you'd have screamed long and loud about a dud
> product. They didn't. They saw fit to fix whatever it is that makes it
> unstable/not work or whatever and hold off releasing the product until

they
> are good and ready. Congratulation, I say.
>
> Doug

Phil A. Chio

Folks should not waste their time whining here about Capture One. Go where
the professional Capture One whiners go:

http://www.voy.com/189989/

Remember ala Phase One: "No wine before its time."

Well on this site it's:

"It's time to whine."

"Harry J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The much awaited Capture One for Windows version 3.6 is due out in 10

days,
> on January 15, 2005. Does anyone actually believe they will make this

date,
> or are they going to push back the release again, as they have four times
> already?

Petros

Ryadia posted:

> "Harry J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The much awaited Capture One for Windows version 3.6 is due out in 10

> days,
> > on January 15, 2005. Does anyone actually believe they will make this

> date,
> > or are they going to push back the release again, as they have four times
> > already?
> >

> You guys are unbelievable...
> If they had done the Canon thing and released a faulty product just "keep
> faith" with you lamers, you'd have screamed long and loud about a dud
> product. They didn't. They saw fit to fix whatever it is that makes it
> unstable/not work or whatever and hold off releasing the product until they
> are good and ready. Congratulation, I say.
>
> Doug

I can't try this program out, since they don't have a version for
Sigmas, but maybe it would work for some of you Canon and Nikon users.
It has a RAW converter and modules available for correcting image
distortion based on which lens you used. The web page looks impressive
(ooohh...), which you can't say for many of the converter programs out
there.

http://www.dolabs.com/en/photo/home/default.php

If any of you seem really impressed, let me know, and I'll try to press
them for a Sigma version.
--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos

James Douglas

Petros wrote:

> I can't try this program out, since they don't have a version for
> Sigmas, but maybe it would work for some of you Canon and Nikon users.
> It has a RAW converter and modules available for correcting image
> distortion based on which lens you used. The web page looks impressive
> (ooohh...), which you can't say for many of the converter programs out
> there.
>
> http://www.dolabs.com/en/photo/home/default.php
>

> If any of you seem really impressed, let me know, and I'll try to press
> them for a Sigma version.

Petros...
You are a source of rare and valuable information with this link. I
downloaded the trial and all I can say is:... Impressive in the extreme!

Anyone waiting for Capture one to get off their butt is going to be
sorry they waited and not taken this solution instead. Absolutely
magnificent stuff. I ran batches of 4 photos through several of their
trials (they only let you trial one lens/camera at a time and limit it
to 4 in a batch. I bought the program and several modules based on the
results.

20Ds are pretty good with noise at high ISO but not as good as they
could be. This program apart from correcting some lens flaws, slight
over exposure and the lighting also took out 90% of the 1600 ISO noise.
Very impressive.

I got some D70 files at 400 ISO that are as badly noised as it gets. No
problems for this program to not only correct some chromatic aberrations
I didn't see but do a fantastic noise removal during conversion too.

All I can say Petros, is thank you!
Your SD9 will surely benefit if you can get them to put a version out
for it. For me? I'm in awe of the mathematicians who produced it.
Capture one? Goodbye... All gone!

JD.

Chester Fields

Maybe Phase One will DO THE RIGHT THING with the release of Windows 3.6
version on January 15:

Given the many delays and disappointments caused by the folks at Phase One,
here are recommendations for the Windows 3.6 LE edition due out in just
about 10 days:

1) Up the limit on the number of photos that can be processed from 20 to
100.

2) Exif data finally displayed correctly and completely for all cameras.

3) Straighten out the convoluted licensing process.

4) Make beta copies of all future editions available for registered users to
help pinpoint the many bugs that seem to slip through the net when an
edition is finally released.

5) Give a raise/bonus to Michael Tapes over at rawworkflow.com for all the
heartache he had to endure from pesky users like me anxiously awaiting and
then being disappointmented by software that never materialized on time. God
knows he deserves it!

Come on Phase One:

"GET WITH THE PROGRAM"

More here:

http://www.voy.com/189989/

Petros

James Douglas posted:
> Petros wrote:
>
> > I can't try this program out, since they don't have a version for
> > Sigmas, but maybe it would work for some of you Canon and Nikon users.
> > It has a RAW converter and modules available for correcting image
> > distortion based on which lens you used. The web page looks impressive
> > (ooohh...), which you can't say for many of the converter programs out
> > there.
> >
> > http://www.dolabs.com/en/photo/home/default.php
> >

> > If any of you seem really impressed, let me know, and I'll try to press
> > them for a Sigma version.

> Petros...
> You are a source of rare and valuable information with this link. I
> downloaded the trial and all I can say is:... Impressive in the extreme!
>
> Anyone waiting for Capture one to get off their butt is going to be
> sorry they waited and not taken this solution instead. Absolutely
> magnificent stuff. I ran batches of 4 photos through several of their
> trials (they only let you trial one lens/camera at a time and limit it
> to 4 in a batch. I bought the program and several modules based on the
> results.
>
> 20Ds are pretty good with noise at high ISO but not as good as they
> could be. This program apart from correcting some lens flaws, slight
> over exposure and the lighting also took out 90% of the 1600 ISO noise.
> Very impressive.
>
> I got some D70 files at 400 ISO that are as badly noised as it gets. No
> problems for this program to not only correct some chromatic aberrations
> I didn't see but do a fantastic noise removal during conversion too.
>
> All I can say Petros, is thank you!
> Your SD9 will surely benefit if you can get them to put a version out
> for it. For me? I'm in awe of the mathematicians who produced it.
> Capture one? Goodbye... All gone!
>
> JD.

Always a pleasure to help
--