Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Newbie's Query

Newbie's Query

Satoshi

Our family member got new Sony Cybershot 5 MP cameras.
They were great cameras. The default setting of the cameras was 5 mp.
I am wondering what MP do you use for ordinary shooting.
5mp pictures were great but its 5mp size/picture is not so convenient for
emailing.
I like to learn from experienced people what mp is just enough to print
reasonable pictures.

Satoshi

paul

Satoshi wrote:

> Our family member got new Sony Cybershot 5 MP cameras.
> They were great cameras. The default setting of the cameras was 5 mp.
> I am wondering what MP do you use for ordinary shooting.
> 5mp pictures were great but its 5mp size/picture is not so convenient for
> emailing.
> I like to learn from experienced people what mp is just enough to print
> reasonable pictures.
>
> Satoshi

150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only
doing 4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used, 300dpi is very good so twice
that size at 1500x1200 but you really would want to shoot at full size
in case you want to crop or get a rare wonderful picture that you want
to print at 8x10. Use irfanview to batch resize for emailing at a size
more like 750x600 or smaller. It is another step but once you get the
hang of it, not too difficult. The only reason to shoot low res is if
you don't have enough memory & are certain you won't need to make big
prints.

Jim Redelfs

In article <cr1kev$g4o$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Satoshi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> what MP do you use for ordinary shooting.

8.2

> 5mp pictures were great but its 5mp size/picture is not so convenient for
> emailing.

I'll bet.

> I like to learn from experienced people what mp is just enough to print
> reasonable pictures.

3-4MP should be adequate for prints up to 8x10 (or 10X8 if you're in the U.K.)

When preparing my photos for emailing or posting on my website, I simply
"export" them to a MUCH smaller size.

JR

Jim Townsend

Satoshi wrote:

> Our family member got new Sony Cybershot 5 MP cameras.
> They were great cameras. The default setting of the cameras was 5 mp.
> I am wondering what MP do you use for ordinary shooting.

Always use the best (largest/finest) setting.

> 5mp pictures were great but its 5mp size/picture is not so convenient for
> emailing.

For e-mailing you can easily downsize them with a suitable image editor.

> I like to learn from experienced people what mp is just enough to print
> reasonable pictures.

What is "reasonable" and how large will your pictures be ? Do you want
to print reasonable 8x10 inch photos or reasonable 4x6 inch photos.

If you always choose the highest resolution from your camera, you'll
always be able to get the best prints the camera can produce.

Satoshi

> 150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only doing
> 4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used,

Paul, for newbies, digicam math seems to require an advanced math degree

I feel that 4 x 5 size would be very convenient. When you talk about 750 x
600 pixel,
what mp should I set for cameras? Satoshi

Ben Thomas

Satoshi wrote:
> Our family member got new Sony Cybershot 5 MP cameras.
> They were great cameras. The default setting of the cameras was 5 mp.
> I am wondering what MP do you use for ordinary shooting.
> 5mp pictures were great but its 5mp size/picture is not so convenient for
> emailing.
> I like to learn from experienced people what mp is just enough to print
> reasonable pictures.
>
> Satoshi

If you might want to print one of the photos, it's best to set the camera to the
highest quality mode.

If you will only ever email the pictures or view them on the computer then you
only need a 1 megapixel mode.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.

paul

Satoshi wrote:

>>150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only doing
>>4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used,

> Paul, for newbies, digicam math seems to require an advanced math degree
>
> I feel that 4 x 5 size would be very convenient. When you talk about 750 x
> 600 pixel,
> what mp should I set for cameras? Satoshi

No, really it's very simple math & I hate math. I don't know the size of
your 5MP images off hand but dpi is simply dots per inch if you want
mid-range 200dpi prints at 4x5 simply say 4x200 & 5x200 to get the size.

Ben Thomas

Satoshi wrote:
>>150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only doing
>>4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used,

> Paul, for newbies, digicam math seems to require an advanced math degree
>
> I feel that 4 x 5 size would be very convenient. When you talk about 750 x
> 600 pixel,
> what mp should I set for cameras? Satoshi

Can you tell us what MP settings your camera has?

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.

paul

Download irfanview at http://www.irfanview.com and download the plugins
too for lossless rotation. It's free and lightning fast. It will take a
little studying to learn how to batch reduce but it's worth it. Other
programs will do this & you probably got something with your camera but
this is the fastest. It's a little bit geeky with lots of options but
worth learning.

Once set up, it's as simple as typing "B" for batch, "add all", create a
new folder, move into that & chose to output into that & click "start" &
hit the escape key to dismiss the program & you are ready to go.

Satoshi

Default setting was 5mp. But it allows to change from 1 to 5 mp.
I am just learning.
In fact, film camera is a lot easier to handle than digital camera because
we do not have to worry about pixels, dpi and x by x size, etc. Digicam is
a pain. Satoshi

"Ben Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Satoshi wrote:
>>>150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only
>>>doing 4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used,

>> Paul, for newbies, digicam math seems to require an advanced math
>> degree
>>
>> I feel that 4 x 5 size would be very convenient. When you talk about 750
>> x 600 pixel,
>> what mp should I set for cameras? Satoshi

> Can you tell us what MP settings your camera has?

> Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia
>
> My Digital World:
> Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
> Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
> Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
> Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.
>
> Disclaimer:
> Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as
> neither
> given nor endorsed by it.

ASP.NET won't retrieve query results that depend on union query Eric Nelson ASP .Net 5 02-04-2009 10:51 PM
Trying to query the Address table data of AdventureWorks database from Query Analyzer - need help! Learner ASP .Net 1 01-30-2006 08:58 PM
xpath query query David Gordon XML 2 05-18-2005 03:33 PM
CAML Query: Multiple Query Fields Issue Jon F. ASP .Net Web Services 0 05-12-2004 08:19 PM

Advertisments