Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Phase One Selling Off Capture One ?

Phase One Selling Off Capture One ?

f-stop

I was interested in purchasing the Capture One Pro software, but have heard
that Phase One, who produces the software, has been looking to sell off the
Capture One division to another software company. I noticed that the Phase
One website is in a state of disarray and that you cannot download sometimes
from the site and get all kinds of errors, and that they have fallen way
behind on the Capture One software for the Windows users. Is it too risky
to invest now or should I wait six months for the dust to settle?

Bill Hilton

>From: "f-stop" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>I was interested in purchasing the Capture One Pro software

I've been using C1 SE since April and I think it's the best RAW conversion
software available. But there are a couple of bugs in the latest release for
Windows and they seem slow about fixing them.

>have heard that Phase One, who produces the software, has been looking
>to sell off the Capture One division to another software company.

Haven't heard this ... I'd think they would keep it since it dovetails with
their software development for the medium format digital backs, which is
apparently their bread and butter product. Is there a good web source for this
rumor?

>I noticed that the Phase One website is in a state of disarray and that
>you cannot download sometimes from the site and get all kinds of errors

Website seems OK right now ... I haven't downloaded from it since version 3.5.2
a couple months ago but typically the downloads are long so it takes a while.
Probably a lot of people downloading the 3.6 Mac version these days so maybe
the servers are overloaded?

> ... and that they have fallen way
>behind on the Capture One software for the Windows users.

Looks like the Windows 3.6 release is several months behind the Mac version and
they keep slipping the promised date (supposed to be mid-Dec and I just checked
and it's slipped to mid January now). I think the big stink about this slip is
that Canon 20D users aren't currently supported and a lot of people are steamed
about that. You can follow the links at the official support site "forum" to
see what people are saying ... many are not happy about the delay, but I didn't
see any questions about selling the division.

>Is it too risky to invest now or should I wait six months for the
>dust to settle?

Dunno ... get the download and try it out ... if you *really* like it go ahead
and buy it but if you're worried about future support then maybe wait and see
how it shakes out. They are definitely not as stable as, say, Adobe.

The Pro version is around $500 but the LE version is only $99 ... is there a
reason you *really* need the Pro features? At one time the high end cameras
were not supported in LE, which is why I have SE (my 1Ds and 1D Mark II were
not supported with LE), but they've dropped the SE version and now support the
Canon pro models with LE. I think the main advantages of Pro are tethered
support, support for the medium format backs, and the ability to generate
custom profiles ... if you don't need these then it's easier to justify risking
$99 than $500 so maybe go with the LE version? You can always upgrade later.

Bill

C Wright

On 12/27/04 8:20 AM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "f-stop"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was interested in purchasing the Capture One Pro software, but have heard
> that Phase One, who produces the software, has been looking to sell off the
> Capture One division to another software company. I noticed that the Phase
> One website is in a state of disarray and that you cannot download sometimes
> from the site and get all kinds of errors, and that they have fallen way
> behind on the Capture One software for the Windows users. Is it too risky
> to invest now or should I wait six months for the dust to settle?

I would be interested in the source or your rumor. It probably does not
mean much but I sent them a pre-sales question about three weeks ago and
received no reply. Often answers to technical questions are slow in coming
but most vendors answer pre-sales questions pretty fast.
Also, their new 3.6 version (which is available for the Mac) has a known bug
in the display of Tiffs. When raws are converted to tiffs the tiffs show up
in Capture One as all black images. This is certainly not major in that you
are not going to work on the tiff in Capture One anyway but it is
interesting that they would release the new version knowing that the bug was
there!
Chuck

Roberto T

The fact that Phase One has not responded to your pre-sales question in over
three weeks nor have they responded to my requests for refund policy for
undelivered products would seem to indicate a company that is in very poor
health. I have requested that my credit card company withhold payment until
this mess can be rectified. Their web links were all advertising Capture
One for the 20D until you download the program and find out that is for Mac
only not for Windows yet until sometime in 2005. The generally busy
Rawworkflow support site run by their U.S. affiliate has been stone dead for
the past week, since they blew the third announced release date of the 3.6
Windows version. I guess most people just got discouraged and gave up and
bailed out and are looking for alternative products like Bibble or
BreezeBrowser, whose support boards are bristling with activity from former
Capture One folks getting onboard. Phase One and Capture One have become so
fixated on not providing any short term remedies because "they do not fit
our business model" that they have not only alientated many of their users,
but are now choking on their own vomit in what appears to be the beginning
death-throes of a once respected product. I hope that they manage to revive
themselves but I fear that if things contine as they have been for the past
six or nine months, either someone else will take over Capture One or it
will end up being very expensive abandonware.

"C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
news:BDF5A0CC.123DE%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com. ..
> On 12/27/04 8:20 AM, in article (E-Mail Removed),

"f-stop"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I was interested in purchasing the Capture One Pro software, but have

heard
> > that Phase One, who produces the software, has been looking to sell off

the
> > Capture One division to another software company. I noticed that the

Phase
> > One website is in a state of disarray and that you cannot download

sometimes
> > from the site and get all kinds of errors, and that they have fallen way
> > behind on the Capture One software for the Windows users. Is it too

risky
> > to invest now or should I wait six months for the dust to settle?
> >

> I would be interested in the source or your rumor. It probably does not
> mean much but I sent them a pre-sales question about three weeks ago and
> received no reply. Often answers to technical questions are slow in

coming
> but most vendors answer pre-sales questions pretty fast.
> Also, their new 3.6 version (which is available for the Mac) has a known

bug
> in the display of Tiffs. When raws are converted to tiffs the tiffs show

up
> in Capture One as all black images. This is certainly not major in that

you
> are not going to work on the tiff in Capture One anyway but it is
> interesting that they would release the new version knowing that the bug

was
> there!
> Chuck

Roberto T

>> the rawworkflow board is up and running now Bobby- check it out

Not to imply when I said stone cold dead that it was not running--- just
that the activity levels have plummetted and not much going on. I dont
attribute this to the holiday season, since other support boards for
competing products are very busy. I contribute this to the fact that they
already missed three announced release dates and that folks with the Canon
20D just gave up and went elsewhere. The busiest thread in the last month
was not one devoted to technical jargon, but only to the disappointment of
the masses at the sloppy handling of the 20D situation by Phase One.

news:mxcAd.14925$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

JPS@no.komm

In message <BDF5A0CC.123DE%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com>,
C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

>When raws are converted to tiffs the tiffs show up
>in Capture One as all black images.

Really black (all zeros), or 12-bit linear or 8-bit-gamma-corrected data
16-bit files?
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

C Wright

On 12/28/04 3:31 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed),

> In message <BDF5A0CC.123DE%wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com>,
> C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:
>
>> When raws are converted to tiffs the tiffs show up
>> in Capture One as all black images.

> Really black (all zeros), or 12-bit linear or 8-bit-gamma-corrected data
> 16-bit files?

I am not saying that the tiffs are not normal tiffs, just that Capture One,
version 3.6 for the Mac, displays them as all black thumbnails. If the
tiffs created by C1 are opened in another program they are perfectly normal.
It is just that the C1 program itself can not display them. If you read the
C1 forums on their web site you will see the subject discussed.

Henri P.

A spate on adamant denials starting on Thursday Dec 30 only served to fuel
speculation that Capture One may be on the auction block.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...