Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Greasy lens - best way to clean?

Greasy lens - best way to clean?

Lars Bonnesen

I got some fingerprints on my lens. What is the best way to clean it?

I once had a kind of "lens tissue", but in absence of this, what is best to
use? Soft cloth, toilet paper, newspaper, ordinary paper, or...?

Regards, Lars.

Joe Makowiec

On 27 Dec 2004 in rec.photo.digital, Lars Bonnesen wrote:

> I got some fingerprints on my lens. What is the best way to clean
> it?
>
> I once had a kind of "lens tissue", but in absence of this, what is
> best to use? Soft cloth, toilet paper, newspaper, ordinary paper,
> or...?

I just bought a new camera; the guy at the dealer tossed in a couple of
microfiber lens cleaning cloths. I would imagine you could pick them up
for not very much in any photo supply store.

Looking at them, they're Photosilk brand: http://www.photosilk.com/

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

grruffbowwow@yahoo.com

Before I give you any advice, just how expensive is your lens?

Best is a proper lens tissue, barely dampened with lens cleaning
solution. Next best would be one of those soft cloths specifically for
cleaning eyeglasses. In emergencies, in the absence of anything better,
I usually seek out a clean soft cotton cloth very lightly applied after
fogging the lens with breath. At no time would I ever let paper of any
kind touch my lenses, be they eyeglasses or other - coatings go
bye-bye.

Peace!
ECM

C Wright

On 12/27/04 8:08 AM, in article
41d0177d$0$182$(E-Mail Removed), "Lars Bonnesen"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I got some fingerprints on my lens. What is the best way to clean it?
>
> I once had a kind of "lens tissue", but in absence of this, what is best to
> use? Soft cloth, toilet paper, newspaper, ordinary paper, or...?
>
> Regards, Lars.

Zeiss makes lens cloth packets that I'm sure are widely available. They are
pre-dampened with isopropyl alcohol and are recommended for coated lenses.
I would not normally use anything but a dry brush, but if you have something
like fingerprints on the lens you pretty much have to wet it with something.
Chuck

HRosita

>I got some fingerprints on my lens. What is the best way to clean it?

Go to a place that sells glasses and get a lens tissue and cleaning fluid.

Put a few drops of fluid on the tissue and clean the lens. Never put fluid on
the lens and don't use paper.
Rosita

Jeremy

> Go to a place that sells glasses and get a lens tissue and cleaning fluid.

Eyeglass cleaning cloths or tissue may contain silicone and may be
destructive to optical lens coatings. Never use eyeglass cleaning chemicals
on a fine camera lens. Never.

I use Kodak lens cleaning tissue (now made by Tiffen, under license). I
also use Kodak lens cleaning fluid (it must be 30 years old--that's how
little of it I've used all this time!). I presume that it is still
available. If not, this link has cleaning fluid and lens tissue:

http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/formulamc.html

I have tried microfibre cloth, but it smudged my lens surface. Disposable
lens tissue, while more expensive in the long run, did not smudge.

After you've solved your problem, consider affixing a UV or Skylight filter
as a lens protector. It is estimated at a good filter may degrade the image
by perhaps 2%. It is better to sacrifice a filter than to ruin a lens, in
my view.

Chip Gallo

HRosita wrote:
>>I got some fingerprints on my lens. What is the best way to clean it?
>>

> Go to a place that sells glasses and get a lens tissue and cleaning fluid.
>
> Put a few drops of fluid on the tissue and clean the lens. Never put fluid on
> the lens and don't use paper.
> Rosita

Promaster by Lenspen. Around $10 online or at camera stores. Has a brush
on one end and some kind of dry (power) cleaner on the other. See:

http://www.penncamera.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2308

Happy Holidays!

Chip Gallo
www.flickr.com/photos/chipgallo

Lisa Horton

Jeremy wrote:

> > Go to a place that sells glasses and get a lens tissue and cleaning fluid.
> >

> Eyeglass cleaning cloths or tissue may contain silicone and may be
> destructive to optical lens coatings. Never use eyeglass cleaning chemicals
> on a fine camera lens. Never.
>
> I use Kodak lens cleaning tissue (now made by Tiffen, under license). I
> also use Kodak lens cleaning fluid (it must be 30 years old--that's how
> little of it I've used all this time!). I presume that it is still
> available. If not, this link has cleaning fluid and lens tissue:
>
> http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/formulamc.html
>
> I have tried microfibre cloth, but it smudged my lens surface. Disposable
> lens tissue, while more expensive in the long run, did not smudge.
>
> After you've solved your problem, consider affixing a UV or Skylight filter
> as a lens protector. It is estimated at a good filter may degrade the image
> by perhaps 2%. It is better to sacrifice a filter than to ruin a lens, in
> my view.

Microfiber cloths are the ultimate in lens cleaning "tissue". Just
because you're incapable of using a simple tool like that is no reason
to scare others away from the superior lens cleaning tool.

Lisa

Don Lathrop

Jeremy wrote:

> Eyeglass cleaning cloths or tissue may contain
> silicone and may be destructive to optical lens
> coatings. Never use eyeglass cleaning chemicals
> on a fine camera lens. Never.

Isn't this advice from 30 years ago?

I may be wrong, but isn't the lens cleaning solution
sold by LensCrafters basically clean water plus
isopropyl alcohol? Aren't their lens tissues simply
lint-free, with no silicone?

I believe most lens cleaners and tissues sold by the
big chains like LC and Pearle are designed to handle
the multitude of coatings offered by those companies,
and don't contain silicone.

Like I say, I might be wrong, but I recall hearing
that advice about silicone decades ago when
drug stores sold little eyeglass cleaning kits that
were pretty bad, but I'm not sure that holds anymore.

Bob Williams

Lisa Horton wrote:

> Jeremy wrote:
>
>>>Go to a place that sells glasses and get a lens tissue and cleaning fluid.
>>>

>>Eyeglass cleaning cloths or tissue may contain silicone and may be
>>destructive to optical lens coatings. Never use eyeglass cleaning chemicals
>>on a fine camera lens. Never.
>>
>>I use Kodak lens cleaning tissue (now made by Tiffen, under license). I
>>also use Kodak lens cleaning fluid (it must be 30 years old--that's how
>>little of it I've used all this time!). I presume that it is still
>>available. If not, this link has cleaning fluid and lens tissue:
>>
>>http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/formulamc.html
>>
>>I have tried microfibre cloth, but it smudged my lens surface. Disposable
>>lens tissue, while more expensive in the long run, did not smudge.
>>
>>After you've solved your problem, consider affixing a UV or Skylight filter
>>as a lens protector. It is estimated at a good filter may degrade the image
>>by perhaps 2%. It is better to sacrifice a filter than to ruin a lens, in
>>my view.

> Microfiber cloths are the ultimate in lens cleaning "tissue". Just
> because you're incapable of using a simple tool like that is no reason
> to scare others away from the superior lens cleaning tool.
>
> Lisa

I agree that microfiber cloths are the best remedy for grease on a lens.
A quality photoshop may give you a free sample ar will sell you a larger
piece.
I would dampen the lens surface first by breathing on it several times
to facilitate removal of the grease.
Bob Williams