Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 5 Good Tips for Taking Kids' Photos

5 Good Tips for Taking Kids' Photos

gary_hendricks@digital-music-guide.com

Here are 5 good tips for shooting photos of babies and children.

1. Get them to pose properly
Easier said than done. Getting children to pose for photos can be
frustrating and can often result in your children appearing tense.
Involving a toy or another person for the child to interact with while
photos are taken often helps child subjects to display a broader range
of emotions, especially of happiness, which is what you want.

2. Get down to the level of the child
Getting down to the level of the child will make them more comfortable
and give you a better view of their features. If you are outside, wear
clothes that you won't mind getting dirty so you can kneel down at any
moment.

3. Use a camera that you can operate quickly
Using a camera that you can operate quickly and keeping the photography
equipment to a minimum also helps you get a great shot before your
child's attention wanders, as you can be sure they won't hold a
fleeting pose while you change lenses.

4. Use a wide angle lens
Using a wide angle lens can often give a pleasant view of a baby,
because their body parts are already a bit out of proportion and the
perspective offered by a wide angle lens will exaggerate this.

5. Use natural lighting
Natural lighting coming from a window will also give a more gentle and
nostalgic feeling to your photographs and will also react better with
the skin tone of a baby.
Gary Hendricks
www.basic-digital-photography.com

Gene Palmiter

Mostly good advise...especially #2. But, when I shoot photojournalisticaly I
don't pose. Just point the camera at them. If they don't see you go ahead
and shoot. I also like the look when they first notice the camera. After
that...just keep looking through the viewfinder....they will pose if old
enough....but after a minute they will get bored and start doing something
interesting....to them at least. Of course natural light works well for this
sort of thing....but fill flash is often a good idea. Any camera works well
at some sort of shooting...none work well for everything. Pinhole cameras
are great for sleeping kids only!

If posing...and using strobes...they stiffen up...get them to goof off a
bit. Have them make silly faces. Then they start laughing and you get good
shots. (If a paying gig the "faces" make a nice addition)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Here are 5 good tips for shooting photos of babies and children.
>
> 1. Get them to pose properly
> Easier said than done. Getting children to pose for photos can be
> frustrating and can often result in your children appearing tense.
> Involving a toy or another person for the child to interact with while
> photos are taken often helps child subjects to display a broader range
> of emotions, especially of happiness, which is what you want.
>
> 2. Get down to the level of the child
> Getting down to the level of the child will make them more comfortable
> and give you a better view of their features. If you are outside, wear
> clothes that you won't mind getting dirty so you can kneel down at any
> moment.
>
> 3. Use a camera that you can operate quickly
> Using a camera that you can operate quickly and keeping the photography
> equipment to a minimum also helps you get a great shot before your
> child's attention wanders, as you can be sure they won't hold a
> fleeting pose while you change lenses.
>
> 4. Use a wide angle lens
> Using a wide angle lens can often give a pleasant view of a baby,
> because their body parts are already a bit out of proportion and the
> perspective offered by a wide angle lens will exaggerate this.
>
> 5. Use natural lighting
> Natural lighting coming from a window will also give a more gentle and
> nostalgic feeling to your photographs and will also react better with
> the skin tone of a baby.
> Gary Hendricks
> www.basic-digital-photography.com

Ben Thomas

> Here are 5 good tips for shooting photos of babies and children.
>
> 1. Get them to pose properly
> Easier said than done. Getting children to pose for photos can be
> frustrating and can often result in your children appearing tense.
> Involving a toy or another person for the child to interact with while
> photos are taken often helps child subjects to display a broader range
> of emotions, especially of happiness, which is what you want.
>

> 5. Use natural lighting
> Natural lighting coming from a window will also give a more gentle and
> nostalgic feeling to your photographs and will also react better with
> the skin tone of a baby.
> Gary Hendricks
> www.basic-digital-photography.com

I like using bounce flash. Results in much more even lighting. There's rarely
enough light coming in from the windows for even 1/60s shutter speed. I prefer
to use 1/90 when photographing kids as they move so fast. My daughter is still
too young to pose though.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.